Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By popular demand (request actually) I'm putting together a remote diagnosis system for those too far away from a service center. I am building another scan tool to ship out (heavily insured of course) to owners. I will be able to remotely look at all of the vehicles systems including HV battery diagnosis and even upgrade software. Fingers crossed its a couple weeks away. Any thoughts or suggestions, have at it...

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
Very nice! The dedication you have makes owing a Fisker much more comforting for us in the mid to north east. Thank you - let me know if you need beta testers..

·
Registered
38 Posts
@FiskerPhilly - I'd be very interested in your remote scan tool. I would much rather have you log into my Karma to diagnose any problems rather than take it to Sewell here in Houston (even if they have a Fisker laptop available). I suspect that I would be wasting a trip to their dealership as I also suspect that nobody there can interpret the data. Please keep us informed.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I agree. Sewell sucks. I will never buy a car from them. Frank Kent, the original Texas Fisker dealer has a totally different customer appreciation mentality.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I'm up and running now, scan tool ready just need final pricing/details on shipping cost/insurance. Anyone in need of diagnosis (or just look at software and HV battery etc) may PM me. I will go in order of request and may prioritize for example a car stuck may take priority over someone just wanting their battery health checked for piece of mind. Let me know at time of request whether you have wifi access or ability to tether to 4g etc. where the vehicle is

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks Joe!!!

Today Joe was able to remotely access my Karma's computer and update software, check the status of my battery and other modules, and clear out the pesky fault code that was causing my CIL to illuminate.

I enjoyed watching the computer screen as he worked his magic from his office in Philly. The set up was simple and easy to do ~ you don't need to be too technical to get it ready for Joe to access your Karma.

I highly recommend doing this, even if it's just for peace of mind in knowing the condition of your Karma. I know I feel much better about mine now that Joe confirmed everything is up to date and the health of my battery is good.

Thanks again Joe for putting this together!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm in line to get the scan tool shipped to me for the remote diagnosis. I'll thank Joe (FiskerPhilly) in advance for doing this. It gives those of us in areas without Fisker support some peace of mind knowing someone with a lot of knowledge can help us out.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to help.
the neat thing is you get to see what we see on the screen and watch the diagnosis and software process take place.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will you be able to clear the pesky CIL P0A80 code to restore my Speedo?
Bob
[email protected]
Yes. I have the new files for the battery to clear it and restore. I will also look in depth at the HV battery to see its health and an overall check of all systems and software.
Just took care of the same issue for @Special K
pm me if you want it while its down south before it heads up to Seattle area and then possibly overseas as I'm getting requests in Europe but not sure if I'm gonna go that route yet.

·
Registered
334 Posts
OBD Scan Tools

@srqboater - glad to hear FiskerPhilly will help you out with a thorough diagnosis. After that, in between future PRODIS laptop diagnoses, you might want to consider buying an inexpensive OBD scan tool to help you read codes and clear simple Check Engine Lights (CEL).

If you have an Android phone, I can personally vouch for this one as I've used it since May 2014 (and JCMorrill has used it too for the last ~ 6 weeks). I simply keep it plugged into the OBD port (next to the hood release) near your left knee. It makes popping the hood release a little more challenging, but it can be done and you don't have to remove the scan tool:

If you have an Apple phone, this is another option on Amazon but I can't vouch for it directly. I have had good luck with the OBDLink brand, so I think it's worth considering, plus it works on Apple or Android.

http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDLink-MX-Wi-Fi-Diagnostic/dp/B00OCYXTYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423367586&sr=8-1&keywords=obdlink+mx+wifi

NOTE: There are some cheaper OBD adapters on Amazon that work with Apple phones, so you may want to do further research. I can tell you personally that the OBDLink brand adapter works really well in my car. I leave it plugged into the car, and just boot up the app on my phone if I want to connect to the diagnostics info. To be clear, the OBDLink adapter I use with my Android connects via Bluetooth and is a different model than the above which connects to your phone via WiFi.

I also recall @Fabulist posting the model of OBD scan tool he uses that works with Apple phones, but I can't find the thread at this moment.

·
Registered
108 Posts
OBDII Code Reader

I bought an OBDII code reader off Amazon for $17 and it uses Wi-Fi to interface with my iPhone. I paid another $5 for the App to be able to read and clear the codes.
There are free App's but I couldn't find one that would clear the code so I paid the $$$ for the upgrade.

Here is a link to the OBDII code reader~ It claimed it came with software but it didn't and the seller was unresponsive. Turns out I didn't need it anyway. But that being said I can't recommend the seller.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DYOVXZ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And although the OBDII code reader with the $5 App will clear basic codes on your Fisker, most CEL's will need the Fisker diagnostic tool to clear the CEL ~ Like the one Joe just sent me and remotely linked into my Karma to clear everything out, update software, and check status of modules.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, the p0A80 fault comes from the BECM (battery) and will not clear with a generic scan tool. There is special software files that need to be flashed to correct it. Can only be done VIA scan tool and someone with the files.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, scan tool has already logged a couple thousand miles, on a southern tour for anyone else who needs diag before it heads north and then overseas. Gotta admit pretty cool to be able to flash software and diagnose a battery 2000 miles away.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts