Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called my dealer, Frank Kent Fisker in Ft. Worth, Texas and asked if they were still in business and if so, did they plan to continue supporting the owners. And, they said yes. They will do what they can to keep our cars on the road. They will continue servicing and repairing (as long as parts are available) the Karmas they sold us. That makes me feel better for now at least.

·
Registered
996 Posts
If you don't have the parts the service is useless. The reality of the matter is most early Karma's will need a new battery or some sort of major part (i.e. drive motor etc). It is unlikely that these part will be available. To my knowledge the last of the A123 batteries were manufactured in Nov/2012 and are rock solid. Not sure if FA has a secret stash of batteries somewhere with newer date codes. I am confident that A123/B456 is not manufacturing the Karma battery anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
If you don't have the parts the service is useless. The reality of the matter is most early Karma's will need a new battery or some sort of major part (i.e. drive motor etc). It is unlikely that these part will be available. To my knowledge the last of the A123 batteries were manufactured in Nov/2012 and are rock solid. Not sure if FA has a secret stash of batteries somewhere with newer date codes. I am confident that A123/B456 is not manufacturing the Karma battery anymore.
From my understanding their was around 160 batteries available for cars Fisker had no choice in replacing . I just don't know when the start date the count started with.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The big question is who's footing the bill ?
Well, right now the owners will have to. They said there's no communication open with FA and warranty claims have not been paid. If I have to, I'll pay to keep my car on the road.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Court documents said Fisker got 2600 battery packs from A123 and that 1900 were defective in some way. As to the actual number of Karmas made, Fisker has always been a bit nebulous but has implied that they had plenty of replacement battery packs available.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Is there some reliable way to know if your batteries were replaced and if they are from the "good batch"?
The only people I knew that had access to that was the Tech support department I had to deal with we would provide the old serial number of the battery and from that they determined the production . At the beginning when we requested a battery we would provide screen shot of the battery condition and provide the serial number as time went on we had to take a picture of the serial number and provide even more data from the battery . Just a little insite of the process as time went on it seemed to me it was getting harder to get a battery and it wasn't the technical department fault . I venture to say it was a supply problem

·
Registered
996 Posts
Court documents said Fisker got 2600 battery packs from A123 and that 1900 were defective in some way. As to the actual number of Karmas made, Fisker has always been a bit nebulous but has implied that they had plenty of replacement battery packs available.

That is 1.9 million+ just in freight!

From my understanding their was around 160 batteries available for cars Fisker had no choice in replacing . I just don't know when the start date the count started with.

Did you check to see what date code was on the crate when you did your recent HV replacements? My guess is 11/2012. The last shipment of batteries went out from the Westland packaging facility between 3/28 and 4/1. And all the crates I have seen have a 11/2012 date code.

·
320 Posts
Do they all originate from there? If so, where is the westland packaging facility. Address?
Any phone number for that location? I'm try to locate my battery that was requested on 3/21 but never delivered. My tech really is clueless. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Thanks for posting this and kudos to Frank Kent Fisker in Ft. Worth. Clearly a car dealership worth doing business with.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Do they all originate from there? If so, where is the westland packaging facility. Address?
Any phone number for that location? I'm try to locate my battery that was requested on 3/21 but never delivered. My tech really is clueless. Thanks.
What makes you think the tech or the dealership is clueless the dealership is stuck in the middle here its not like you snap your fingers and the parts show up . Your battery might of been ordered and maybe was slated for shipping but that doesn't mean it was shipped .The shipping companies have several warehouses that the batteries are sent to from A123 .

·
Registered
147 Posts
Rickenbaugh Cadillac/Volvo/Fisker gave me the same assurance last week. Yes, I've bought 3 vehicles from them in the last 18 months, and of course they are simply "saying the right thing," but the point to me is that they said it at all. They could've just been like a few other dealers we've all heard about and suddenly dropped Fisker without warning. They have my loyalty, for now...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
They have my loyalty, for now...
For now? Come on. The dealers that are still sticking through it are doing the best they can. We still have ZERO word from Fisker Corporate as to what's going to happen when it comes to dealers, acquiring parts, technical support for the dealer technicians, etc. Without parts support, they're only going to be able to do so much.

Keep in mind that they quite easily could've completely washed their hands of the whole thing. The fact that they're sticking with it says a lot. Just keep that in mind when something does come up later...

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Rickenbaugh Cadillac/Volvo/Fisker gave me the same assurance last week. Yes, I've bought 3 vehicles from them in the last 18 months, and of course they are simply "saying the right thing," but the point to me is that they said it at all. They could've just been like a few other dealers we've all heard about and suddenly dropped Fisker without warning. They have my loyalty, for now...
My dealership hasn't stopped servicing the cars matter of fact I had a car in this week which had a clogged drain which let the water drain from under cowling area .This clog caused the water to overflow into the car though the blower motor . I had to remove all the carpets and the seats in order to get the interior dry . The rain water ruined the blower motor we didn't have a blower motor in stock but I had a new HVAC unit in stock I used that blower motor not knowing if I will ever get a replacement installed the new one removed any modules in that area to make sure they were dry also treated the wiring with Di electric grease and installed everything back and flat bed the car back . We ate the total cost of the job it was just around $1500.00 give or take . We are trying to make our customers happy but its very hard .

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
For now? Come on. The dealers that are still sticking through it are doing the best they can. We still have ZERO word from Fisker Corporate as to what's going to happen when it comes to dealers, acquiring parts, technical support for the dealer technicians, etc. Without parts support, they're only going to be able to do so much.

Keep in mind that they quite easily could've completely washed their hands of the whole thing. The fact that they're sticking with it says a lot. Just keep that in mind when something does come up later...
I agree. The dealers seem to be as much a victim of this debacle as the owners are. They appear to have been abandoned by Fisker, and to the extent they are providing service and support, they are doing it on their own and not for a whole lot of money. The Karma is a very complex car that requires very expensive skills and equipment to diagnose, service and repair. Given the small number of Karmas and cost of support, they do not seem to be not very profitable to service.

I know some folks want to hold the dealers' accountable for Fisker's sins, but in my personal opinion, this is not the right strategy. I think our relationship with the dealers should that of fellow victims, not adversaries. I want to continue to support and encourage my local dealer to continue providing services to Fisker owners to the extent they can, and be a resource for us. I am not saying anything here about the Dealers' post-sales legal obligation which I know nothing about, this is just my personal view that a collaborative approach between the owners and dealers will be more productive than a combative one.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts