Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, Just like I did for the volt, I am in the process of hacking the control systems in the fisker to give you full power.

On my dyno the fisker is putting out about 202-205 in sport mode. Not even close to the advertised power. Not counting not even close to the 900ft torque.

The engine controller is a E69 which I already support in the software, however, they are using a different seed key algorithm, and I just haven't had the ambition to reverse/hack it so I can read out the file from the can bus.

Once I get it all figured out, and the engine controller mapped out, then I will release it all to the public, just like I did for the chevy volt.

Volt I was able to get down to 5 second 0 to 60 times.

So, with larger packs like my karma has, I should be able to do some fun things.

Especially if the gm control systems are being used exactly the say way as the volt was..

A few things if people want to save time on the project:

1 Any techs that know how the software system updates are performed, could you please call me.

2. If you have any control system update files, can someone email them to me.

When I get that information, I can modify those files, and tailor things more exact as well for other modules to make them act how we want.

[email protected] yahoo.com is my email, I look forward to hearing from you guys and will make the karma a bit more fun to drive for sure. ;)

On thing I noticed was, currently on my dash, I never get full throttle according to the dash gauge, So that just shows that I have potential for more allowed thru the system.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The coupler? The braking regen system is putting more load on those than what I would be doing.. LOL Acceleration moves force on one side, and EVERY TIME YOU LET OFF THE GAS, it moves force to the other side of it. So back and forth load over and over and over...

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
@Wait4me, thanks for all your help working on this. I and many fisker owners are eager to utilize this cars full potential! Can't wait to hear what you squeeze out of the car!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Controller for Engine is Bosch
Med9.

Just read it out. One step closer......

Want some code?

#...............2....?..6j?.0...4...>....?...>...^..6j...<5..+..6~?.6...........1....6p.!?....A.?....5..>.........q..............C..7....?..!....?..\X...B..f............F.............."?.. [email protected]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL sorry have to say it, as it will be said by someone else.

Id be more worried about frying off 650 dollar tires than I would be of couplers.. They can be modified/replaced, upgraded. Metal parts are easy to make.

Next will be.. " Say good bye to your trunk lid"

·
Registered
996 Posts
The coupler? The braking regen system is putting more load on those than what I would be doing.. LOL Acceleration moves force on one side, and EVERY TIME YOU LET OFF THE GAS, it moves force to the other side of it. So back and forth load over and over and over...

The Regen is only on the rear wheels so the coupler is irrelevant when regen is occurring.. The aforementioned coupler is spinning the generator which then sends power to the batteries. There is no mechanical connection between regen and the ICE to Gen coupler.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assumed he was talking about the rear electric motor pack coupling between the two electric motors.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Have you run the dyno in Stealth, Sport (above 26 mile range) and Sport below 26 mile range? Would be curious to see the differences in power output.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If I understand it correctly, you want to increase engine power in order to generate more current to the motors. This can be done basically only through three things - ignition timing, turbo boost and fuel mapping. Since most likely turbo does not have variable geometry, then increasing boost pressure over the whole rpm range is the only option.

Tinkering with ignition timing might induce knocking, enriching fuel might cause cooling problems and boosting turbo pressure might cause rupture in the piping. All these things will result in higher fuel consumption and additional load on generator coupler. Also, it seems that half shaft splines might not be up to the task. Could you please post dyno chart of Karma? I would be very curious to see how it performs in torque and hp...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I understand it correctly, you want to increase engine power in order to generate more current to the motors. This can be done basically only through three things - ignition timing, turbo boost and fuel mapping. Since most likely turbo does not have variable geometry, then increasing boost pressure over the whole rpm range is the only option.

Tinkering with ignition timing might induce knocking, enriching fuel might cause cooling problems and boosting turbo pressure might cause rupture in the piping. All these things will result in higher fuel consumption and additional load on generator coupler. Also, it seems that half shaft splines might not be up to the task. Could you please post dyno chart of Karma? I would be very curious to see how it performs in torque and hp...

The system works as a whole. The engine computer, just like the volt has its commanded torque applied tables in them. So if you ask for more torque, it gives you more torque.

The system has limiters in place, and what ever the max is, is what is in charge, BUT the system only allows the lowest torque request to be active on the system.

Example.

BTM torque requests 600.
Traction system requests 780
Electric sub 1000
Engine control 340.

All those values are higher, except the engine sub throttle control table, so it will use that value for max.

So say you change that value to 800, Now the BTM torque request "if that is active at the time" will become the next lowest commanded torque.

I am fully aware of what spark, and other things are involved with here, Ive been in the game for 20 years. Turbo systems as well.. Adding boost is not how you are thinking on this setup.

We develop software and are in with software development for vehicles for many years.... I develop / reverse engineer gm cals every day.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
The system works as a whole. The engine computer, just like the volt has its commanded torque applied tables in them. So if you ask for more torque, it gives you more torque.

The system has limiters in place, and what ever the max is, is what is in charge, BUT the system only allows the lowest torque request to be active on the system.

Example.

BTM torque requests 600.
Traction system requests 780
Electric sub 1000
Engine control 340.

All those values are higher, except the engine sub throttle control table, so it will use that value for max.

So say you change that value to 800, Now the BTM torque request "if that is active at the time" will become the next lowest commanded torque.

I am fully aware of what spark, and other things are involved with here, Ive been in the game for 20 years. Turbo systems as well.. Adding boost is not how you are thinking on this setup.

We develop software and are in with software development for vehicles for many years.... I develop / reverse engineer gm cals every day.
Rather than playing around with the genset (which peaks at 170hp vs. the rated 260hp of the Ecotec), are you also looking at increasing power output from the battery? As I've said before, the engineering on power draw from the battery to the TMs in Stealth is very conservative - much less than what A123 says those packs are capable of. You could supply the full 300kw/400hp to the TMs just from the battery pack alone

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was going to leave the battery output alone first to see how far I could get from the engine side of things. Engines are a lot cheaper to replace.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
So you're trying to increase the output from the engine and generator? How is that going to increase the 0-60 time on the Karma, exactly? That power goes to the battery first, then back out to the inverters then the motors. Increasing the speed of the car requires work on the inverters and battery output, not the engine and gen-set.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are missing what im saying.

Commanded torque on the WHOLE platform is going to command what the lowest value on the canbus is.

There is a throttle table in the ecm, that is always in charge, as your throttle pedal goes thru the ecm.

So if you say you go 50% throttle, then it allows 129ft of torque apply.

At 100% tps it says it wants 330ft torque.

Im NOT CHANGING anything on the actual running of the engine by doing this.

The engine running is just totally from requests for kw from the system.

If it needs more kw it adds more rpms.

As more demand on the generator hits, then it puts more load on that engine, which like when you drive at 40 and floor it, you don't hear the turbo until about 60, which is because that generator is getting harder to turn because of the load on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once you start to have a kw shortage issue is when you would need to modify ENGINE and battery supply output limits.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I assumed he was talking about the rear electric motor pack coupling between the two electric motors.
No this is between the engine and generator (similar to a clutch),

The coupler is very sensitive to misfires and can be destroyed pretty easily. How easy? Pull a plug from one of the cylinder and it'll likely grenade.

The current limitations on the engine are in place because the likelihood of the engine misfiring above a certain RPM/Torque output increases significantly. I can go into more detail later tonight when I get home from work.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with 8AVGMPG here. I'm currently in New York for this exact issue, a coupler. It's not something that you want breaking, and being tracked back to your software. It's an expensive fix.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Regardless of the source, the electrical power propelling the car goes through two inverters that are currently programmed to step down after a few seconds at full power. Even if you replace the Ecotec engine with a Mr. Fusion, none of that extra power will make it to the traction motors as long as the inverters are limiting the power flow. If fact, if the inverters can be hacked to allow more power through by not stepping down so aggressively, the existing battery+GenSet can move the car a lot faster without modifying the engine.

Unlike the Volt, there is no mechanical connection between the engine in the Karma and the drivetrain. Increasing the engine HP is not going to cause any extra power to be sent to the traction motors with the current inverter limits.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts