Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the car for 1000 miles or so and I havent had to fill the gas tank. Is it safe to leave gas in there for long periods of time as it seems it will?

Someone told me about something called STA-BIL? Anyone used a gas stabilizer? will it wreck the engine?

·
Registered
913 Posts
bigdaddyo811 said:
I've had the car for 1000 miles or so and I havent had to fill the gas tank. Is it safe to leave gas in there for long periods of time as it seems it will?

Someone told me about something called STA-BIL? Anyone used a gas stabilizer? will it wreck the engine?
I've never used Sta-Bil but I understand people put it in lawnmowers and snowblowers and such when they are going to be idle for long periods. It's supposed to be safe...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Let me speak with the engineering team. I have used STA-BIL but only when storing a car. Not sure that its the best thing for an ongoing basis

David Harris
Fisker Automotive

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
ct-fiskerbuzz said:
bigdaddyo811 said:

I've never used Sta-Bil but I understand people put it in lawnmowers and snowblowers and such when they are going to be idle for long periods. It's supposed to be safe...

I thought the engine management computer would run the ICE from time to time to clean out old gas from lines and prevent the gas going bad.

-- Fab.

·
Registered
192 Posts
bigdaddyo811 said:

I've used StaBil for several years now. I have a '62 fuelie Corvette I purchased Dec. 21, 1961, and use occasionally now. And a '91 GMC Syclone truck, and an '86 2.3/16V Mercedes which get irregular use of StaBil. Also use StaBil in my riding mower, trimmer, chainsaw etc. I also have a house in Germany with a Honda Accord stored 6 months at a time, with StaBil in the gas tank. Never had a problem with StaBil. I recommend it.
Cheers :rolleyes:

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is a great question. There is no need to use STA-BIL or even consider a stabilizing agent unless you are parking the car for long term storage e.g. as a show car. If you are driving the car the Engine Management System will circulate fuel.

David Harris
Fisker Automotive

·
Registered
781 Posts
I've had STA-BIL in my boat's gas for 12 years straight and it has had no bad effects. That thing has a GM 5.6 liter V8 in it, so I'd think it'd be ok in a GM Eco-Tech 4-pot.

-Brian

·
Registered
781 Posts
On a related note, I've noticed that every time I put gas in the car the ICE runs hard for like 5-10 minutes. I assume that's to re-pressureize the tank. Yes?

-Brian

·
Registered
913 Posts
Nimisys said:
It's for some of the emissions testing
Cranking it through the required loop modes, so that you can pass the state emissions test?

This is really low priority, but, it would be nice to have a mode where it does not do that except when manually told to, so that one can invoke it shortly before going in for testing, but not have the engine have to run through all the cold-and-hot cycles and such otherwise.

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
ct-fiskerbuzz said:
This is really low priority, but, it would be nice to have a mode where it does not do that except when manually told to, so that one can invoke it shortly before going in for testing, but not have the engine have to run through all the cold-and-hot cycles and such otherwise.
It might not be legal to have a driver selectable "pass emissions" mode.

·
Registered
913 Posts
dennis said:
ct-fiskerbuzz said:
It might not be legal to have a driver selectable "pass emissions" mode.
Maybe, maybe not. Given that it is legal to buy OBD-II scanners that can reset your check-engine light, it probably should be legal.

The way this works is that if you do reset the CEL, the system has not been through the requisite number of tests and when you bring the car in for emissions testing, it will fail. You must drive it around for a while, with the engine cold and then with the engine warm, until it's been through the required cycles. If a sensor raises an error the CEL comes back on and again you will fail the test. If all tests pass, you pass the emissions test.

Logically, "not running under every test condition often" (e.g., not getting the engine hot because you're in stealth mode all year) is the same as "resetting even though the light was never on". Your car won't pass emissions testing, but there's nothing known to be wrong: it's just that it's not known to be right yet either. Of course, you want to be able to pass the test, so you need a "please run all tests" mode as well.

The law is not always sensible, though. :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are requirments for how often Catalyst effienecy and their monitors must be checked, as well as the evap system as part of the CA/Federal certifications.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts