Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Hello all. Anyone have a suggestion for a drill less front license plate holder?
There are a few threads on this, including this one, called, appropriately enough "Front License Plate". Yes, you can drill holes into the facia, or use the tow hook receptacle, like I did.

And if you really feel like being a secret agent, you can get a retractable front license plate as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did see most of the previous threads, but, I figured since the majority of them were posted in 2012 that maybe someone had an update. Basically, I'm just looking for a holder that doesnt have to be drilled into the fascia. Also, it doesnt have to retract (even though that's kind of cool)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I did see most of the previous threads, but, I figured since the majority of them were posted in 2012 that maybe someone had an update. Basically, I'm just looking for a holder that doesnt have to be drilled into the fascia. Also, it doesnt have to retract (even though that's kind of cool)
I am not sure if there has been any significant change in this area since 2012, the options are still the same. If you don't like the tow-hook mounting option, another solution that does not involve drilling into the facia is a non-motorized hide-a-plate type solution that requires drilling into the bottom of the car, like this one.

Someone even suggested using double-sided tape, but I am very dubious about the efficacy of that solution, both for holding the plate securely and also for not damaging the car's paint.

I ultimately decided to remove the front license plate, mainly because I did not want to risk damaging the car's Aluminium frame from even a small parking impact or minor fender-bender.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
3M makes a really strong double sided tape you might want to give that a try I think Home Depot might even carry it

·
Registered
334 Posts
I believe @alexpop from Elite Motors OC was working on the retractable license plate solution for the Karma. I can't remember if I saw it on his website or his Facebook page.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Guys, the ONLY (aka Best way) way to mount the front plate is using the front tow hook threads......go to www.moweraxle.com. Hi grade aluminum mount, I've put these on all my cars over the years & there is simply no substitute if in fact you have a front tow hook hole, as the Karma does.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Guys, the ONLY (aka Best way) way to mount the front plate is using the front tow hook threads......go to www.moweraxle.com. Hi grade aluminum mount, I've put these on all my cars over the years & there is simply no substitute if in fact you have a front tow hook hole, as the Karma does.
That was mentioned and linked in my very first response to the original question -- see post 2 above. But also see post 4 above. Concerns have been expressed about what happens to the kinetic energy imparted to the front plate holder in the case of a front-end collision, even a relatively modest one. The moweraxle base essentially bypasses all the energy-absorbing devices in the car and could transfer the energy straight to the chassis. I have never heard of this actually happening, but it does not seem implausible.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the retractible front license plate. However, instead of mounting it under the front of the car, I mounted it IN the lower opening of the grill. That protects the mechanism from parking rash. I keep the retract button handy in case I get stopped for any reason, then I just push the button.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My feeling is any plate system on the front of the Karma is just too ugly and I never put mine on. Just carry it inside the cabin with me to prove I have one if ever asked. Have never been stopped or ticketed in the four years of ownership for lack of the plate.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
My feeling is any plate system on the front of the Karma is just too ugly and I never put mine on. Just carry it inside the cabin with me to prove I have one if ever asked. Have never been stopped or ticketed in the four years of ownership for lack of the plate.
I eventually came to the same conclusion and took off the front license plate. THe big problem in San Francisco is the parking enforcement people who are more than happy to ticket you for technical violations (expired tags, etc.) even if you are parked legally and the meter is paid. I carry the front plate around as well, in case I am pulled over for failing to have it on the car.

Another trick I have heard of, but can't vouch that it actually works, is to put both plates on the back, the rear plate stacked on top of the front plate. The California Vehicle Code Section that requires the front plate reads:

CalVC 5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
The argument goes like this: The statute does not explicitly say that the front plate is supposed to be attached to the front of the vehicle. It just needs to be "in front", and if you stack the plates such that the front plate is towards the front of the car, you have complied with the language of the statute, if not necessarily the spirit.

I am not sure how easy it is to argue statutory interpretation with a meter maid or police officer at the side of the road, and frankly, this sounds like a stretch to me, but if you are feeling your inner Clarence Darrow, give it a shot at your own risk.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I eventually came to the same conclusion and took off the front license plate. THe big problem in San Francisco is the parking enforcement people who are more than happy to ticket you for technical violations (expired tags, etc.) even if you are parked legally and the meter is paid. I carry the front plate around as well, in case I am pulled over for failing to have it on the car.

Another trick I have heard of, but can't vouch that it actually works, is to put both plates on the back, the rear plate stacked on top of the front plate. The California Vehicle Code Section that requires the front plate reads:

The argument goes like this: The statute does not explicitly say that the front plate is supposed to be attached to the front of the vehicle. It just needs to be "in front", and if you stack the plates such that the front plate is towards the front of the car, you have complied with the language of the statute, if not necessarily the spirit.

I am not sure how easy it is to argue statutory interpretation with a meter maid or police officer at the side of the road, and frankly, this sounds like a stretch to me, but if you are feeling your inner Clarence Darrow, give it a shot at your own risk.
To carry this conversation further and in more depth (and for those California Owners), I carry with me a copy of California VC Section 5201 "Positioning of Plates". The only place the front plate is mentioned is in Section 5201 (a). The rear plate is identified and mentioned in 5 other sections. Section (a) states (abbreviated herein): ...plates shall be mounted in a position to be clearly visible....and clearly legible. Rear mounted not less than 12 inches from ground and front plate not more than 60 inches"..... As Fabulist mentions: The statute does not explicitly say that the front plate is supposed to be attached to the front of the vehicle.

My plan is if I were ever pulled over, I can readily pull the plate out and place it inside my windshield which makes it "clearly visible" from the front of the car and produce a copy of this CV code justifying the location of the plate. One could also use idea when parking on a public street, but probably wouldn't thwart the SF meter maids.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Front License Plate Holder

My state requires a front license plate on all cars. I found a great solution from a company in California www.bigmikesperformanceparts.com.
The name of the product is Sto N Sho model #SNS52 for a 2013-2016 for Mercedes CLA 250. It is a simple installation of a bracket in the lower bumper assembly and the plate is mounted on a removable insert. You can simply pull a spring pin and remove the license plate when you "show" the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts