Fisker Buzz Forums banner

Front grill styrofoam

20K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  AnOutsider 
#1 ·
I asked Tim at xpel to help me with the front grille styrofoam issue. He made me cut out patterns to go between the grille teeth in a clear matte black finish for obvious reasons until Fisker covers the foam upon installation. The strips will fit in like band aids. Tim suggested that we find out how to remove the grille to place one solid piece of xpel protectant. I do not think that is possible after talking with Fisker seems we would have to remove the front nose piece . I'll take the bandaid strips if xpel will sell them. Anyone else interested??? Tell Tim.

#6 ·
Nimisys said:
the foam will have to be there, it is part of the crash structure (low speed bumper impacts anyways), however the entire fornt skin is not overly difficult to remove and then the entire section of foam is accessible. have Tim PM me if you would like directions.
Fisker sent me a pdf and if i'm reading it right you have to remove the entire nose. Do not want to go to that extreme. Am I reading it wrong?

#8 ·
MArkansas said:
Nimisys said:
the foam will have to be there, it is part of the crash structure (low speed bumper impacts anyways), however the entire fornt skin is not overly difficult to remove and then the entire section of foam is accessible. have Tim PM me if you would like directions.
Fisker sent me a pdf and if i'm reading it right you have to remove the entire nose. Do not want to go to that extreme. Am I reading it wrong?
any way you can post up that PDF? I would be interested to see how its done

#9 ·
tyler said:
MArkansas said:
Nimisys said:
I do not know enough about computers or my new apple to do that. Call Nadeem 7144851307 at Fisker and he can forward them to your email. Sorry :-/

#11 ·
Wimbledon said:
MArkansas said:
I do not know enough about computers or my new apple to do that. Call Nadeem 7144851307 at Fisker and he can forward them to your email. Sorry :-/
MArkansas, if you are able to forward the email to info@FiskerBuzz.com I can post the file for everyone.
Only promise is I will try![hr]
MArkansas said:
Wimbledon said:
MArkansas said:
MArkansas, if you are able to forward the email to info@FiskerBuzz.com I can post the file for everyone.
Only promise is I will try!
I failed but asked Fisker to send it direct.

#12 ·
tyler said:
Open the hood
Remove 7x 10mm head bolts along the edge of the front bumper skin
Gently lift up on the corners of the skin at the headlamps to disengage the velcro holding them down.
Turn front wheels fully to left or right
Remove the 8mm bolt that goes stright up behind the side marker on each side
Remove the 3x pushpins along the sdge of each wheel liner and the front bumper skin
Remove 3x pushpins inside the center grill opening
Remove all pushpins (two rows) from under center grill opening
Remove 2x 10mm head bolts under the lower core support going through the plastic support
There are 2x pushpins in small recesses (approx 10mm deep) in the same area that must also be removed.
Firmly pull the each side of the pump skin out from the side of the vehicle.
On left side in front of and below the headlamp is the skin harness connector - disconnect it.
Using the grill as a handhold, pull the entire skin directly forward and away from the vehicle

note: all the pushpins are the same size and can be used in any location. the 7 bolts under the hood are identical, the two bolts in the wheel well are identical, the 2 bolts underneith are identical, so there is no worry of mixing up the locations.

installation is the reverse of removal, just remember to plug the harness back in, or you will get a warning message when the car is powered on. you do not need to disable the LV or HV battery for this procedure

#13 ·
Nimisys said:
tyler said:
Open the hood
Gently lift up on the corners of the skin at the headlamps to disengage the velcro holding them down.
Remove the 3x pushpins along the sdge of each wheel liner and the front bumper skin
Remove 2x 10mm head bolts under the lower core support going through the plastic support
There are 2x pushpins in small recesses (approx 10mm deep) in the same area that must also be removed.
On left side in front of and below the headlamp is the skin harness connector - disconnect it.
Using the grill as a handhold, pull the entire skin directly forward and away from the vehicle

note: all the pushpins are the same size and can be used in any location. the 7 bolts under the hood are identical, the two bolts in the wheel well are identical, the 2 bolts underneith are identical, so there is no worry of mixing up the locations.

installation is the reverse of removal, just remember to plug the harness back in, or you will get a warning message when the car is powered on. you do not need to disable the LV or HV battery for this procedure
thanks for posting this. Seems pretty easy to do

#14 ·
Nimisys said:
tyler said:
Open the hood

Many people have posted concerns about the Styofoam behind the grill. I certainly don't love that if you look closely you can see it's styrofoam, but should we have so much concern that it needs to be protected?

Jeff

#15 ·
ixtractm said:
Nimisys said:
tyler said:
Open the hood

Many people have posted concerns about the Styofoam behind the grill. I certainly don't love that if you look closely you can see it's styrofoam, but should we have so much concern that it needs to be protected?

Jeff
There are a lot of bugs where I live and the styrofoam will not stand up to cleaning them off.

#16 ·
MArkansas said:
ixtractm said:
Nimisys said:
tyler said:
Open the hood

Jeff
There are a lot of bugs where I live and the styrofoam will not stand up to cleaning them off.
I never really thought about bugs. That makes sense to me especially since they do make a specific point in the owners manual not to directly spray down the styrofoam

#22 ·
I personally would like to change the grill from the current vertical slats to the mesh/horizontal ones found on the Surf, Sunset and Atlantic. Wonder if this will be an option from the dealers soon...

Surf:

Atlantic:

Sunset:

#25 ·
I was thinking on the lines of dipping it in gloss black vinyl like the kind you would use to dip your tool handles in.....I know it is available in gallon containers.
It should be slick enough to be easy to wash the bugs off of.

#31 ·
You're thinking of Plasti-Dip. It leaves more of a matte finish, but I think it would work to cover the styrofoam nicely. The cool thing about Plasti-dip is how easy it is to remove - it just peels off. It's pretty durable too, I sprayed the lower bumper on my wife's Beetle, and it's held up very well for six months now.

#26 ·
I took my car into xpel in San Antonio and Tim (the COO) was EXTREMELY helpful and they got it done. Initially they took the bumper off and put the xpel film on the styrofoam - it wasnt what I was expecting as I thought it was going to black it out with black matte film. He graciously without issue kept the car and redid it. He ended up painting the xpel film black as he said the black matte vinyl film would be too slick and just wouldnt work. Here is a picture of the final product. You can still see the block in behind the grill, but it doesnt look like a piece of styrofoam, just a black block and looks WAY better IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.