Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
SoCalGuy said:
what is FIsker trying to pull here? Scare deposit holders into buying or "being priced out" forever? Seems like a bubble in another asset class from a few years ago!
I guess if you are one of the 3000 deposit holders who have waited patiently, they are telling you to come pick a configuration or pay a higher price.
It seems strange to me that in the last year, the quoted number of deposit holders has never changed.

BillyO

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
SoCalGuy said:
BillyO said:
SoCalGuy said:
what is FIsker trying to pull here? Scare deposit holders into buying or "being priced out" forever? Seems like a bubble in another asset class from a few years ago!
I guess if you are one of the 3000 deposit holders who have waited patiently, they are telling you to come pick a configuration or pay a higher price.
It seems strange to me that in the last year, the quoted number of deposit holders has never changed.

BillyO
It's bad enough they raised prices $8K on us before and also charge us for things like exterior paint ($3K).... other companies would have grandfathered existing depositors into the original pricing scheme... or offer some other free upgrade/credits... ala Tesla or McLaren... but not Fisker. This is really frustrating and I just may cancel out of principle.
Well I got my Matchbox car, Bamboo memory stick, and a copy of a sketch signed by Fisker and I am envious as hell of the guys who are taking delivery in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait to pay $100K plus to get my car. It has been frustrating but after 3 years, 3 or 4 more weeks won't kill me.

BillyO

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
brian said:
Wow, that's bad. The car simply isn't worth that much money. It was very difficult to justify at the current price, but there's no way I could recommend it for the new price. Good thing the price increase doesn't apply to existing orders, but I think this will seriously reduce the number of Karmas on the road next year.

-Brian
No car is "worth" what you pay for it. The depreciation can be slower for certain models and occasionally (Ford GT40) a car will appreciate but that's extremely rare. A '57 Chevy by todays performance standards sucks but if you want a good one it'll cost you as much as a Lexus. In fact the more expensive a car is new the greater it depreciates in the first 5-10 years. It's possible the 3rd or 4th generation of electric cars will be much less expensive than the Karma. Heck, the first plasma TVs were $20-30K. It's a luxury not an investment.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
They are just asking current deposit holders who haven't decided on a configuration to do so. That's not unreasonable. They aren't asking for a bigger deposit. They just want to verify you are still interested by having you come in and make a choice. So far they have indicated they would return your deposit if the car arrived and you decided not to take delivery. I can see why they can't hold the price indefinitely while some deposit holders sit on the sideline. They are probably getting close to finishing most of the cars that have confirmed a combination and in order to keep the line moving they need orders. My VIN is 919 and it's in final assembly so they probably only have another couple hundred cars confirmed now. Of course all this is speculation since Fisker communicates like the Nixon administration.

BillyO

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Mycroft said:
=> " I ordered mine in October and was told production would start 12/20... what happened to the 3000 orders ahead of me?"

If you believe that date, I have some stock to sell you.
I don't think there are anywhere near 3000 "confirmed" orders now. My bet is the production of all the current confirmed configurations is nearly complete. We've been hearing 3000 forever. I bet many of the original 3000 deposit holders have dropped out mainly due to total lack of consideration from Fisker. Even Brian was on the verge and he's only had a deposit up for a year. If the deposit holder number was really impressive Fisker would be touting it. I bet it's even less than the original 3000 and that's with demos at the dealerships. When there are big management shake ups, there is always an untold background story. You have to believe that if they had 7,000 to 10,000 new deposits, they would be publicizing that.

BillyO

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Dutch said:
BillyO said:
I don't think there are anywhere near 3000 "confirmed" orders now. My bet is the production of all the current confirmed configurations is nearly complete. We've been hearing 3000 forever. I bet many of the original 3000 deposit holders have dropped out mainly due to total lack of consideration from Fisker. Even Brian was on the verge and he's only had a deposit up for a year. If the deposit holder number was really impressive Fisker would be touting it. I bet it's even less than the original 3000 and that's with demos at the dealerships. When there are big management shake ups, there is always an untold background story. You have to believe that if they had 7,000 to 10,000 new deposits, they would be publicizing that.

BillyO
At the moment production has reached #1000. A lot of cars are going to be produced in January, February and March. Anyone ordering now is looking at delivery in about half a year. That means Fisker still has a lot of orders in the books.

It is not strange that the number has stayed at 3000 for a long time. Not much happened over the last few months in the form of publicity to attract more customers. Some people will have dropped out, but others will have stepped in (maybe because of the scattered pieces of publicity like Leonardo DiCaprio, Two and a half men, the Fisker Tour). But there are still a lot of people out there who do not know about the existence of the car. The demos have been at the dealers for no more than a few weeks, many dealers outside of the US are still waiting for their demos. Publicity has been low.

All that is going to change. More and more magazines and car shows will be able to get their hands on a car for test drives, and I expect the reviews to be very positive. But more importantly, every week there will be more Karma's on the road and there will be more people seeing this stunning car. The effect? Look what a few visits to Cars & Coffee generates in attention, and then multiply that by a few thousand. Every Karma-owner will be the focus of attention wherever he or she goes, all the time. Every Karma will make hundreds of people enthusiastic or at least curious about this brand and this car.

I heard that - still unconfirmed - Brad Pitt has been spotted test driving a Karma, when he was visiting The Netherlands this week. If more and more celebrities choose this car, it could really become a snowball.

And there are still a lot markets that haven't even been tapped, like Asia.

So there is still a lot of potential for this car and this company.
The challenge for Fisker is to last long enough for the the surge you are predicting. Building the first 1000 cars must be a strain on capital and so far they are seeing very little return. I love your optimistic outlook.

BillyO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.