Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The Model S is definitely nice, but I actually don't like the front end of it much: it reminds me too much of a shark. I also wonder how it will handle if you have the 300-mile battery pack (which one should also note is really a "not more than 300 mile" range, one can probably expect something like 270 miles on a full charge in general, like the 45 miles Edmunds got from their 3-day test of the Karma). The extended range pack uses higher energy density cells but is still going to be quite heavy, and one big reason the Karma's 0-60 time is low by comparison to other similarly-powered cars is due to the Karma's weight, including the 600 lbs of battery. (The frame is pretty heavy too—mass-produced cars use monocoque unibody construction to hold weight down—and the electric motors are heavier-duty than needed, due to being designed for military use, probably in armored vehicles. Quantum Worldwide reported in their latest 10Q that they are working on a lighter-duty power train for the Nina.)[hr]
Dutch said:
One year from now that $80K Model S will probably not cost $80K anymore. ;)
Well, we'll have to see ... originally it was intended to be roughly $70k (~50k for base plus ~20k for biggest batteries) so it's already done its first step up. :) More interesting to me is whether it will be out in only one year from now.

I have a rule of thumb I use when investing in tech stuff: "it costs more, and takes longer" (than projections, even when the projections assume that it costs more and takes longer...).[hr]
By the way, I should add that Motor Authority and Edmunds Inside Line have both confirmed the price increase. Haven't heard from my local dealer yet though :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Fabulist said:
I would be shocked if the Karma uses the same electric motors as the Aggressor prototype.
It might not; I'm just guessing, based on news reports and the cost of R&D and such.

The Tesla S ...

I would also be concerned about how much power charging a 300-mile battery would draw. Homes in the US typically have a 200A electrical connection to the grid. To charge a massive battery like that in a reasonable amount of time you have to draw significant current, probably on the scale of 80A - 100A which would could overpower your electrical systems and require some serious wiring which may be beyond the capacity of an older home.
New homes do. Mine doesn't :) Upgrading the main drop is part of the renovation plan (what with new kitchen, electric floor heating in the master bath, and so on). My old El Cerrito home had just 70A.

In any case, the Roadster has a 70A fast charge option, and apparently Tesla have developed a "Frankenstein connector" that will let you charge the Roadster with a standard Level 2 charger or their own (variable limit depending on installation) system. I suspect they will continue with that system for the Model S, given that they have it and it works...

(Incidentally, back on the topic of the thread, I got mail from my dealer saying that he'd gotten confirmation from Fisker that my order is at the pre-increase price.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.