Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
what is FIsker trying to pull here? Scare deposit holders into buying or "being priced out" forever? Seems like a bubble in another asset class from a few years ago!

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
BillyO said:
SoCalGuy said:
what is FIsker trying to pull here? Scare deposit holders into buying or "being priced out" forever? Seems like a bubble in another asset class from a few years ago!
I guess if you are one of the 3000 deposit holders who have waited patiently, they are telling you to come pick a configuration or pay a higher price.
It seems strange to me that in the last year, the quoted number of deposit holders has never changed.

BillyO
It's bad enough they raised prices $8K on us before and also charge us for things like exterior paint ($3K).... other companies would have grandfathered existing depositors into the original pricing scheme... or offer some other free upgrade/credits... ala Tesla or McLaren... but not Fisker. This is really frustrating and I just may cancel out of principle.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Guys, I hear all of your comments on whether or not the Karma is "worth" the new price (and btw, let's not make this personal - no need to insult Brian's Mitsubishi Fab!)....but my big beef with Fisker is the lack of respect and communication with US the early adopters, aka Fisker's base.

Recall:
1. The price initially was $88K base (with a cost-free choice of colors like black or silver), and delivery was scheduled for 2009

2. Fisker pushed back delivery dates, and started to hint at price increases

3. Delivery dates slipped and slipped

4. Initial guidance on pricing was released for all trim levels as well as certain "extras" like exterior paint color

5. Fisker bumped prices across the board, including for deposit holders

6. Fisker delays again delivery dates, after delivering a subpar roadshow test car

7. Fisker bumps prices and has yet to deliver a single customer car

8. Fisker says "order now, trust us, OR ELSE...we'll raise the price on you"

So what we're really talking about here is an increase from $88K to $106K ($103K + $3K for paint), or roughly 20%.

It's one thing for an established brand with deep pockets like BMW or Mercedes or Lexus to debut a new car with brand-spankin new tech and say "trust us" its something entirely different for a brand new car company with a spotty track record and poor client communication to do so

It's just not cricket. As another poster says, who bumps prices on the eve of customer deliveries??? You'd never ever imagine Apple doing such a thing - if anything, they'd reduce the price (everyone remember the original iPhone and ensuing price drop?)

Bottom line: Fisker, you have yet to prove yourself to those of us who want to love you most. What's more, these boneheaded PR blunders do little to inspire confidence in the maturity and clarity of your management team (or at least, your marketing department). Stop the juvenile behavior. Time to grow up and act right.

PS - Fab, I disagree with one of your points - raising the price doesn't mean that Fisker has confidence they can deliver products of quality at larger volumes - rather the opposite, if they are having problems delivering volume (e.g. due to need to hand paint certain colors or use manual velcro to secure the hood), then raising the price reduces overall demand (econ 101), thus requiring less production volume. It is frankly a red flag in my book.

PPS - If this is just a greed grab on Fisker's behalf, then shame on them! Fisker did not "bear all the risk" of this development project. Investors and depositors bore the risk, as did US tax payers (who funded in part, the final R&D on the Karma)

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
kabalah70 said:
As it has been mentioned before, I must mention that the first price bump from $88k, included the solar roof going from optional to standard equipment which, I believe, was valued at around $7500.
$5,000 - that said, I wish it were optional =)

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
svp6 said:
Wow, this is the most rapidly growing thread on the forum - and by far the most spirited - or if you want insulting one. As much as I like Karma to succeed, it is impossible not to laugh at with how much passion it is defended based on.....what?

Plugitin used his only 4th post on this forum to bring the "you don't know WTF" to Fiskerbuzz - this is one statement that I sure did not miss in our conversations so far. While I appreciate his strong belief in Karma, I certainly do not sympathize with the tone - especially directed against somebody who spent much more time and effort researching this topic (that is Brian).

The fact remains that no matter how gorgeous the Karma looks like (and it surely does so), it still has to prove itself as a reliable car. None of us posting here have driven anything more than few miles in either the road show cars or the dealer demo's, so all the talk is based on hope and trust rather than on experience....

As I said before, I bailed out and got a car from a more reliable manufacturer for now. I really like the Karma, and if it proves itself, Fisker will get my business in the future.

Meanwhile, may I suggest that we maintain the polite tone in stating our opinions? Just my 0.02$.
I'm with you. Agree on all points. The rational side of me says "wait" but the emotional side keeps saying "buy" - I really do think that part o the reason for the price increase was to "scare" prospective buyers into buying while prices are "low" before they go up and up and up like real estate. As much as I've had my $95K (now $105K) set aside in a little Fisker escrow account for the last few years, I can't help but say lets just see how the early adopters fare with the product in the first few months to see if there are any reliability/quality issues...if not, great... well worth the extra $6K you have to dish out to know that there aren't major issues with the car....

2012 Fisker Karma: $107,000
Premium for waiting: $7,000
Peace of mind knowing all the bugs have been worked out: Priceless!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.