Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice in the past week I have been unable to start my Karma. I am able to start it to where I get the "ACC" signal but, when I hit the start button again, it turns green and appears to start, but then I get the flashing "Ready" signal and can not take my Karma out of park. Both times, this happened after I accidentally plugged the charger into my Karma BEFORE plugging the charger into the wall outlet.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Last time I managed to get the car started after a couple of days but honestly don't know what I did.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Twice in the past week I have been unable to start my Karma. I am able to start it to where I get the "ACC" signal but, when I hit the start button again, it turns green and appears to start, but then I get the flashing "Ready" signal and can not take my Karma out of park. Both times, this happened after I accidentally plugged the charger into my Karma BEFORE plugging the charger into the wall outlet.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Last time I managed to get the car started after a couple of days but honestly don't know what I did.

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried a hard reset yet? That's usually the first step.
Also, do you happen to know which version of the software your car is running?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I do a hard reset and is there any downside to doing a hard reset? Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, forgot to mention that I do not know the software version with certainty but I think it is 5.30.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
How do I do a hard reset and is there any downside to doing a hard reset? Thanks.
You have to be the luckiest Karma owners in history if you have never had to do a hard reset. That's pretty impressive actually. My car has been <knocking on reclaimed wood veneer> almost completely trouble free, and I have had to hard reset my car at least a dozen times.

For instructions on a hard reset, check out the video in this post. The video does not show this, but you should wait a few minutes between disconnecting and reconnecting the connector shown in the video. Obviously, you should not close the hood or the doors while you are waiting because you will not be able to open them again.

The main downside of doing a hard reset, you will have to recalibrate the parking brake, and the car itself will tell you what to do. Also, a hard reset will erase many of the codes in the car's memory, But if your car is not going into Ready mode, these downsides may be pretty minor.

There is no guarantee that a hard reset is going to solve your particular problem, but it's usually the first step because it can fix some problems.

Good Luck and Good Karma.

Fab.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention that I do not know the software version with certainty but I think it is 5.30.
You should confirm the exact version with the seller or the last dealer to work on it. Version 530 had some problems, including the possibility of physically damaging the main battery which could potentially cause the problem you are experiencing. Karma Automotive released a specific fix for this problem in version 535. If your car is running 530, you should get it upgraded to 535 immediately.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, worked like a charm! I will talk to my dealer about upgrading to 5.35. Btw, this was my first ever hard reset.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I've actually have never done a hard reset myself.

·
Registered
536 Posts

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
all cars are different... but 5.3x does increase the likelihood of flash ready... stay on 5.20 unless you see some demonstrable improvement with 5.3x

·
Registered
146 Posts
12 V Battery Could Be Causing Problem

Back in January 2017 I replaced my 12 volt battery and took my Fisker to the dealership where they did the normal maintenance and ungraded the software to 535. Since then I been having small glitches that I thought was from the 535 upgrade. The problems became worst.

On two occasions I had to do a hard reset and one time the battery went dead for some strange reason and I had to do a hard reset and jump the Fisker from another vehicle. Lately, I would get reduced performance errors and finally the vehicle went dead and wouldn't wake up. I tried to boost the car off with a another vehicle and it would wake up but make strange noises from the engine compartment, brake error message and 12 volt system errors, etc. I put a trickle charge on the battery for two days and got the same thing. I decided to take a chance and replace the 12 volt battery again. But this time I plan to get best battery I can find.

I recall PowerSource recommending an Odyssey Battery so I went to a local battery shop based on the link from the Odyssey website. They didn't have the Odyssey brand so I got the NorthStar NSB-AGM48. The spec were a peak CCA of 1450 and 775 CCA 135 minutes reserve.

When took the old battery out I noticed that it was not the battery I thought I had. The battery was an Interstate MTP-48/H6 not the Interstate MTP-48H6. They had sold me the wrong battery. They are two different batteries with different spec. The MTP-48/H6 is a cheaper battery than the MTP-48H6.

I replaced it with the new NorthStar battery. All error messages are gone and the vehicle now performance as though I've had a complete overall. I can begin to tell you how great the vehicle is preforming. The vehicle is no longer temperamental and regardless of what I do there is no glitches and the vehicle and the console performs so much better.

I know this is a long and detail post but I thought I would relay this experience in hopes that it may help someone else.

It may be possible that some of the problems and glitches people are having is coming from a weak 12 volt battery that just doesn't have the power to support the Fisker even though the battery test out good when place under a load. I hope this help.

Sam

·
Registered
146 Posts
Haleyguy

There are apparently two Interstate batteries, the MTP-48H6 and the MTP-48/H6. The one with the slash is not the same as the one without the slash. They are two different batteries with different specs. The interstate MTP-48H6 is the correct battery that you recommended.

I was sold the Interstate the MTM-48/H6. This battery appears to be too weak for the Fisker or like you said defective.

Sam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts