Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attempted to bring my car in today to Fisker Miami for the 5000 mile free service and some warranty issues. I was told I would have to pay out of pocket for any work done. The service manager Michael Berger told me that due to the layoffs last week, he had no one to confirm at Fisker that he would be reimbursed and no longer any access to the technicians web site. Looks like our worse fears have become reality. There is also no one available to obtain any parts Fisker may still have. I suggest you contact your local Fisker dealer to confirm this. Maybe some are willing to take a chance on reimbursement. If so, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
You are correct the 5 K service is an oil change and filter plus checking the car over such as tire pressure lube door seals ETC. Since the layoff Fisker no longer has any warranty personal to process the claims .As a dealer we also have outstanding claims not paid by Fisker which we have no idea if we will get reimbursed for. I will continue to provide some sort of service to our customers depending what it is Fisker might of close their doors but we are still open .

·
Registered
164 Posts
This is very sad development. It also means that dealers will not be able to sell remaining cars on their stock, since no buyer will purchase the car without warranty. Actually dealers are in many instances obliged to provide minimal warranty by law. Can anyone from dealership advise us on implications of manufacturer providing no warranty on car's sales?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I as an owner have a contract with my dealer, not with Fisker. The dealer should fulfill its obligations of the contract. At least under Dutch / European laws. I would have a problem if my dealer falls over..which he may opt to do.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
We may be jumping to conclusions here. At least at the moment, the problem is not that the warranty is void, but that there is no one left at Fisker to process the claim. I know that is a pretty slim distinction, but until the company is sold, taken over by DOE, or goes into BK, the warranty stays valid. Since the laws are different in most jurisdictions, I am not sure if this means that the dealers are obliged to do the work and then try to squeeze the money out of Fisker, or if they can refuse to do the work until they have assurance that they will be paid, or to put it even mor succinctly, who takes the risk in this situation.

Once one of the end-game scenarios come to pass, the picture will become clearer but for right now, you should contact the consumer protection authority in your state/country to see what the legal situation is where you live.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I as an owner have a contract with my dealer, not with Fisker. The dealer should fulfill its obligations of the contract. At least under Dutch / European laws. I would have a problem if my dealer falls over..which he may opt to do.
If dealer is unable to fulfill their obligation due to lack of spare parts, diagnostic support and reimbursement for warranty repairs, then they might be asked by courts (if it comes to that) to buy back the cars under various "lemon" laws.

The resolution to FA situation might come in 6 months earliest, probably later. During this time there will be lots of unhappy Karma owners knocking on dealership doors.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I agree...
and want to add, that it might become a different scenario, whether you own the car privately as an individual or as a company, where the customer protection authorities might not be involved...

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de

·
Registered
245 Posts
Why, because they were dead set on their hail mary strategic partnership plan with the Chinese with, as usual, no contingency plans for any other outcome, employees or customers?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Dealerships "Expressed that they would be fulfilling the warranty services...

We may be jumping to conclusions here. At least at the moment, the problem is not that the warranty is void, but that there is no one left at Fisker to process the claim. I know that is a pretty slim distinction, but until the company is sold, taken over by DOE, or goes into BK, the warranty stays valid. Since the laws are different in most jurisdictions, I am not sure if this means that the dealers are obliged to do the work and then try to squeeze the money out of Fisker, or if they can refuse to do the work until they have assurance that they will be paid, or to put it even mor succinctly, who takes the risk in this situation.

Once one of the end-game scenarios come to pass, the picture will become clearer but for right now, you should contact the consumer protection authority in your state/country to see what the legal situation is where you live.
Here is the thing. We bought the cars at our respective dealers. My dealer introduced me to the service folks. When we purchase cars we do not expect that at some point we will not be able to get it serviced, much less warranty service completed. FA EXECUTIVES should at the least have folks on staff to ensure we have an opportunity to have our cars serviced and warranty work completed. The service techs should have access to support materials that are available. The respective dealerships do have their hands tied however, it is unethical to tell a customer that they must pay for service. The dealerships in essence are the ambassadors of Fisker. To be clear, many of the dealers have been heavy handed with their customers. Basically selling the cars and communicating that they would be there for them in the future. To be fair and honest, the dealers should have communicated, "At some point due to the uncertainty of Fisker Automotive, we maybe in a position wherein we can not service our warranty your vehicle." Or words to that effect. This would allow the consumer to make a decision based on ALL the information. Quite honestly, many, not all, of the dealers have handled this poorly and self servingly abandoning their customers. At the least, bad business. At worst, unethical on their parts. Bottom line, "The dealers have a fiduciary responsibility to DO WHAT THEY CAN to maintain our cars." Not simply discard us. We put our FAITH in the dealerships. We did not buy from FA. We purchased from someone at a dealership who made promises to us. What is the definition of fiduciary duty?:dodgy:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Keep Your Receipts

Fab is once again the voice of reason. If you need to service your Karma, my suggestion is you go ahead and do it (if you can afford it). There's a good chance you'll ultimately be reimbursed. As had been stated on this site before, your warranty is not dischargeable in BK. Nor can the $193M debt to the D.O.E. In fact, according to a San Jose Mercury News article on Saturday, "Fisker's tooling equipment and other property make up the collateral on the loan."

(Here's the entire article:
http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_22963893/tesla-rival-fisker-lays-off-nearly-entire-workforce.)

Fisker's tooling and other property would be valuable to any entity interested in producing more EVERs or to supply parts to a high-end niche market. The proprietary property would likely be sold at an auction at rock bottom prices.

Although Solyndra did not have proven technology to sell (unlike FA), it's interesting to revisit how the other assets were liquidated:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/video/bankrupt-solyndra-auctions-assets-14867914

So hang in there. It ain't over 'till it's over.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just talked with my service guy, and he said the dealership is not authorizing any warranty work, but will continue to service the car on my dime. That being said, he cannot access the tech service at Fisker, and parts are not available for 2 orphan cars he has on site for repairs.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
I can see why a company that is trying to hold on to its cash would stop paying for warranty repairs (not agreeing with it, mind you, just see how that may preserve cash in the short term) but cutting off the dealers and technicians from the master database of documents is unconscionable. Instead of the useless website with incorrect information on it, why not put up the service database? If you had any doubts about how Fisker management feels about their customers, this act alone should make it pretty clear how little regard they have for us.

·
Registered
781 Posts
My dealer just told me that they're still doing warranty work and they haven't had any problem getting paid by Fisker. I'm taking mine in tomorrow for its 10k service, and theoretically Fisker is paying for it like they did for the 5k.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Fisker Atlanta told me today that I would need to pay out of pocket for any service. They told me to save my receipts in case there is a chance of a comeback.

The GM told me he's tried and tried to reach someone at FA and he hasn't had any luck. The regional rep wa canned, so was the CSR.

I asked him how can I get rid of my car. He suggested taking it to another make dealer in the area and try to trade it in.

Not good news.

Bill

1 - 20 of 70 Posts