Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the buzz this week around Tesla's $40m of Model X reservations, has anyone here yet reserved a Surf? Are dealers taking deposits?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have to say I'm not a fan of the Surf. As far as I can tell it fails to solve the problem it set out to, which is to provide significant trunk space. Maybe if they used a better (Nina based?) drivetrain it would be more attractive.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Is there a production schedule for it yet? In some ways I like it more than the karma, but Doug is right, it failed on the space end of things.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I didn't think much of the Surf either when I first saw it. But, it's growing on me. And, it might really appeal to Europeans. From the driver's seat, it looks cool as you look to the passenger seat at the beautiful woman sitting there (hopefully it's your wife). And, for a moment you can forget about the two kids and the gear in the back of your station wagon.
Cheers,

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Not a fan of the design, looks too much like a wagon. I'd jump to the Nina and spend time on it, get it right and be the one that offers a high quality Ever for the mid market. People need an alternative to the Volt. The Prius and the Leaf and the Model S just don't cut it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Deep Ocean said:
Not a fan of the design, looks too much like a wagon. I'd jump to the Nina and spend time on it, get it right and be the one that offers a high quality Ever for the mid market. People need an alternative to the Volt. The Prius and the Leaf and the Model S just don't cut it.
You are right. I want my Nina. :D

·
Registered
854 Posts
Production 2013 Fisker Surf To Launch At Paris Motor Show: Report -- Green Car Reports

Reports today in the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf indicate that it will unveil the production version of its 2013 Fisker Surf 'shooting brake' at the Paris Motor Show this September.
I'm hoping that by the time they show the production Surf, Fisker has an updated drivetrain to put in it. Not only because the performance is a bit less than promised, but also because the packaging really could use an improvement. That big hump between the rear seats and the trunk, which houses the inverters that drive the motors, severely limits the usable space. While this may be acceptable in the Karma, it's a fatal problem in the Surf since it basically defeats the purpose of the car.

One wonders why the rear seats even fold down. Because of this, I don't see how the Surf offers and real increase of utility over the Karma.

You really have to appreciate what's possible with a clean, purpose-built motor/inverter package.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Doug,
"You really have to appreciate what's possible with a clean, purpose-built motor/inverter package."
You mean like the Protean Electric in-wheel motor package?
http://www.proteanelectric.com/

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Moderator's Note: The posts in this thread discussing in-wheel motor technology were moved to a new thread in the Car Lounge Forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.