Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fisker Karma EcoSport at 20,000 miles.

I crossed 20,000 miles and thought it a good occasion to share my stats. I would love to see anyone else that has tracked lifetime millage. And, want to thank the forum for giving me great stuff to read about to make the experience of owning the car a better one. You’ve virtually invited me into your garage, shared your woes and triumphs, and helped share the news and rumors about what is coming next. A big thank you to this group.

Here’s my story. I took delivery of the car in May 2012, on Earth day.

Mechanically:
I have only one mechanical issue – battery relays #5 went bad at 11,000 miles, and I had to drive it as an ICE for about 500 miles. Travis flew up, dropped the battery and replaced them. Other than that, no real issues beyond the usual software stuff prior to 5.10 software.

Gas Mileage & Electric Range (100 MPG Possible? Myth or Reality?):

I have tracked all my gas receipts and miles. My lifetime millage is 112 miles.

• My total fuel cost (using super premium) is $716.63 to go the 20,000 miles.

• My per tank millage has ranged from 21.5 (when my battery relay was bad, and had to drive entirely on ICE) to over 1100mpg (and counting).

Interesting, you know how the MPG gets stuck at 409, it seems to still be calculating in the background and when it hits 1000 miles, it turns over to 0 – and then counts up. Currently it says 109, and I believe I am at 1109 miles per gallon right now.

It shows 109 with 3450 miles since my last fill up, and a little over a third of the tank used). I am trying not to use ICE so I can see what happens when it gets to 1409 – does it stop at 409 again, or keep counting? I’ve got about 1100 miles to go, and will share what I find.

• I’ve trended and tracked the effect of speed on gas mileage and range:
http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/1642-cracking-code-fisker-gas-millage.html

• I’ve trended and calculated the effect of temperature on range. Seeing how much less range we get when it is cold was really interesting, and explained for me why HockeyDad was getting such lousy range driving in cold, snowy Canada in the Winter. I did a series of measurements to fit a regression curve. I learned that at freezing, I get about 27miles of range, where as at 50 degrees F, I get 30miles of range. I collected data across about 20 degree range, and I wanted to get more range of temperature, because it seems like I get around 40 miles of range when the temperature is in the mid 70s, and I suspect the range goes down a little as it gets really hot.

If I had one wish:
Really wish sports mode would unleash 0 to 60 speed in the low 4s. I miss the acceleration power of my ICE sports cars.

Thanks again for keeping the buzz going, and good Karma wishes to everyone.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Fisker Karma EcoSport at 20,000 miles.

I crossed 20,000 miles and thought it a good occasion to share my stats. I would love to see anyone else that has tracked lifetime millage. And, want to thank the forum for giving me great stuff to read about to make the experience of owning the car a better one. You’ve virtually invited me into your garage, shared your woes and triumphs, and helped share the news and rumors about what is coming next. A big thank you to this group.

Here’s my story. I took delivery of the car in May 2012, on Earth day.

Mechanically:
I have only one mechanical issue – battery relays #5 went bad at 11,000 miles, and I had to drive it as an ICE for about 500 miles. Travis flew up, dropped the battery and replaced them. Other than that, no real issues beyond the usual software stuff prior to 5.10 software.

Gas Mileage & Electric Range (100 MPG Possible? Myth or Reality?):

I have tracked all my gas receipts and miles. My lifetime millage is 112 miles.

• My total fuel cost (using super premium) is $716.63 to go the 20,000 miles.

• My per tank millage has ranged from 21.5 (when my battery relay was bad, and had to drive entirely on ICE) to over 1100mpg (and counting).

Interesting, you know how the MPG gets stuck at 409, it seems to still be calculating in the background and when it hits 1000 miles, it turns over to 0 – and then counts up. Currently it says 109, and I believe I am at 1109 miles per gallon right now.

It shows 109 with 3450 miles since my last fill up, and a little over a third of the tank used). I am trying not to use ICE so I can see what happens when it gets to 1409 – does it stop at 409 again, or keep counting? I’ve got about 1100 miles to go, and will share what I find.

• I’ve trended and tracked the effect of speed on gas mileage and range:
http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/1642-cracking-code-fisker-gas-millage.html

• I’ve trended and calculated the effect of temperature on range. Seeing how much less range we get when it is cold was really interesting, and explained for me why HockeyDad was getting such lousy range driving in cold, snowy Canada in the Winter. I did a series of measurements to fit a regression curve. I learned that at freezing, I get about 27miles of range, where as at 50 degrees F, I get 30miles of range. I collected data across about 20 degree range, and I wanted to get more range of temperature, because it seems like I get around 40 miles of range when the temperature is in the mid 70s, and I suspect the range goes down a little as it gets really hot.

If I had one wish:
Really wish sports mode would unleash 0 to 60 speed in the low 4s. I miss the acceleration power of my ICE sports cars.

Thanks again for keeping the buzz going, and good Karma wishes to everyone.
Great summary and input. I am in Toronto area and took delivery in May of 2012 also and am at 14,000 klm. Had Travis replace a relay and now will seal my ICU and restore my "tilt" function on my steering wheel. Would like to know your vin number and how you managed you tires? Keep up your observations for us. Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Tires and VIN

Hi Fiskerjim, I am a later VIN (1695), and replaced my first set of tires at 11,400 miles. Since then, I moved up toward Tahoe, and do occasional mountain driving. Tires are worn and ready for replacement. I might get up to another 1000 miles - so this set will only last about 9500 miles.

PS: The tires look more worn than they really are at first glance. Turning the wheel all the way to one side, and inspecting the middle of the tire, where it has the wear bars, has kept me using the tires longer than I would have if I have just looked at the outside edges, which, by design, wear to flat quickly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Rex, great to hear good news from a good Karma going strong. I also recently went over the 20K mark. I am currently over 22K at this time. I have tracked my mileage and fuel as well. Here is my data.

Picked up my Karma Feb 14, 2012

I have had only one major mechanical issues when a rock hit one of the radiators and crated a small leak. Once the radiator was empty, the cooling system noted the heat gain and shut down the system. Had my first tow to the shop and new radiator installed.

First set of tires lasted just over 16K. On the second set now and wear has been minimal. I was mistakenly keeping the front and rear tires at the same pressure, which was too low for the front. I am hoping to get better mileage from the second set. I now check air pressure every time I wash the car.

My long drives have included a trip from San Diego to Vegas and San Diego to LAX and San Diego to Santa Monica. All other driving has been in the San Diego area. I also used the 110 volt charger for almost a year as the only charging for the car. It would not always have a full charge during that time. I switched to 220 volt and always have a full charge each day. (by the way, the Fisker 110 volt charger died after i got the 220 volt installed)

At my last fill up, I had 22,109 miles on the car, 109.13 gallons used lifetime, giving me a lifetime MPG of 202.3. Since I installed the 220 volt charger, I typically have four to six months between trips to the gas station. That is fun to type!!

Your interesting fact about the 409 number and having it roll over was something that I have never read before. That did happen to me but I was not sure why it had changed. I thought it was just a glitch. I will check that out next time it happens to me to see if the numbers work out to 1000 MPG for the tank. It would be great if the calculations did go all the way to 999 just so we can see the real numbers.

I am a very happy Karma daily driver and also want to thank this forum for all the adventure and advise that has been available for all of us. I was a voyeur on this site for a long time but have started to post here and there. There are so many people on this site with so much experience with cars. It is greatly appreciated!!

Your temperature data is very interesting. I usually get about 40 miles per charge, 45 if I baby the car, but that is not fun. Since I live in San Diego, I can not help with the cold weather aspect. In fact, why do you have to buy a second set of tires again, winter you say...... Well we do get winter in San Diego but it is not quite as noticeable as other areas of the country.

Always fun to see what other Karma drivers are doing. I hope to read some more posts and updates on how the cars have been treating you all.

·
Registered
122 Posts
... I took delivery of the car in May 2012, on Earth day.
This brought a tear to my eye...

I'm over 18,000 miles, late model VIN in the 2600's with only problem of road rash, but a badge I've learned to gloat about ;)

I'm excited to see what the Fisker resurrection brings!

~Katie

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
This brought a tear to my eye...

I'm over 18,000 miles, late model VIN in the 2600's with only problem of road rash, but a badge I've learned to gloat about ;)

I'm excited to see what the Fisker resurrection brings!

~Katie
Hey katie,

Thanks to you I was able to cover the road rash on my eclipse with paint fill - it's noticible at given sunlight angles. getting ready to do the 3m now - so I hope I'm able to make the road rash not as noticible, but if it does not succeed, I think you gave me another way to deal with it :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just got my (Vin 1660) Karma 3 weeks ago with 9,200 miles on it. Front Tires are almost bald and need to be replaced. Best prices I've found for the Goodyear Eagles are $140 for the fronts, and $170 for the rears. This was through Tire Kingdom here in Florida. Goodyear wanted a lot more. Go figure. With careful driving, I'm getting about 35 electric miles. But that is of course driving with slow accelerations, no highways, and no ac. I'm finding the miles are better in cooler weather 70 degrees. Hot days, 90's the miles go down to about 30 electric.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Wdavidkl, Note that the tires wear outside but look carefully at middle of the tires and thread and you may still have goof life on tires.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
Just got my (Vin 1660) Karma 3 weeks ago with 9,200 miles on it. Front Tires are almost bald and need to be replaced
I can virtually guarantee you do not need new tires. Do yourself a favor and do some searches on these forums for "tire wear" and you'll find this is a very well discussed subject.

The OEM Goodyear F1s on the car wear smooth on the outer three inches or so of tread within the first few thousand miles. While this looks disconcerting - and annoyingly leads to everyone telling you that your tires are bald - it is in fact intentional. The actual tire tread and wear indicators will show you have tread life. 12,000-15,000 miles seems to be the most common point where people replace them. There are bulletins and charts from Fisker that fully describe how to evaluate your tires in some of the posts that you can uncover via search. A little homework might save you a bunch of cash.

Brent

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I wish my tires would've lasted that long but with the Miami heat i held out until 10,000 and they were bald. I went Yokohama and what a great ride. I bought the tires at tire rack and had them drop shipped at Miami Fisker for Harleyguy to install.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Rex,
Thanks for sharing, I have the Eco Sport white, I am about to top 25K mi this weekend, car is running smooth. Just had my tire sensors go off but nothing is wrong with it, this happen every time the weather changed.

White Karma 2012 vin 0639

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also recently passed the 20,000 mile mark. I received my car in early February 2012. I replaced my tires at around 15,000 miles with Goodyears. I rarely drive more than 40 miles per day, so I have only had to use 28 gallons of gas so far (over 700 MPG). I stopped looking at the MPG reading from the car as it has been inaccurate. Hopefully that is one of the 250 bugs that will be fixed. My odometer/speedometer gauge went dim last year, but is still readable. I use the digital speedometer in the center anyway. Will have it fixed once Fisker of Tampa is back on board with service. Love the car, hope to keep it running for many years.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mine just turned 20k mile no major issues only ,one weak battery cell . and finally what I was afraid off happened the motor spun 3 miles from home drove it back very slow .. Rdm battery replaced at 9k
Waiting for place in California for CSP still no place yet

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just got my (Vin 1660) Karma 3 weeks ago with 9,200 miles on it. Front Tires are almost bald and need to be replaced. Best prices I've found for the Goodyear Eagles are $140 for the fronts, and $170 for the rears. This was through Tire Kingdom here in Florida.
I'm also in Florida and just changed tires at 12K miles, so it's conceivable that yours could be worn out at 9200. At $140/170 it's not a major investment to change them anyway (if you want goodyears, they won't be around forever).

On the issue of wear, FA Chassis' post #27 in this thread is authoritative:
http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/3930-alternative-tire-3.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts