Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking...is Fisker the most successful rookie car company ever? The sales figures are very strong for their first year.

Maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but none come to mind.

I mention this because I often hear talk about Fisker struggling, but I feel like they are struggling far less than most first year automotive companies.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I've been thinking...is Fisker the most successful rookie car company ever? The sales figures are very strong for their first year.

Maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but none come to mind.

I mention this because I often hear talk about Fisker struggling, but I feel like they are struggling far less than most first year automotive companies.
Agree, especially with the uphill climb that they had to face. It also did not help they started deliveries in an election year. If they had been able to deliver in 2011 I think the Atlantic would be hitting the streets later this year.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quoting from the great Oracle of Omaha: "The key to investing is not assessing how much an industry is going to affect society, or how much it will grow, but rather determining the competitive advantage of any given company and, above all, the durability of that advantage. The products or services that have wide, sustainable moats around them are the ones that deliver rewards to investors."

To me, Fisker lacks moats, considering now both BMW I8 and Cadillac ELR will compete directly with a very similar technology.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Falcon9 Are you saying you think Fisker has not done well so far? You seem to be talking about the future of Fisker, rather than the success to date.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not sure how you're defining Rookie car company, and within what time frame. Doesn't Tesla have about 3000 Model S out now?

For newbies in the 2011-current timeframe, Fisker is probably a little less than McLaren and VPG at this point. I think around 2500 of each so far? Just a rough guess. I can check further and get back to you.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Not sure how you're defining Rookie car company, and within what time frame. Doesn't Tesla have about 3000 Model S out now?

For newbies in the 2011-current timeframe, Fisker is probably a little less than McLaren and VPG at this point. I think around 2500 of each so far? Just a rough guess. I can check further and get back to you.
You do realize that Tesla's first car was the Roadster right? Tesla has still not sold out of Roadsters even though they stopped producing Roadsters almost a year ago. I believe there were ~2500 Tesla Roadsters produced over 5 years. Fisker has sold 2000+ cars in its first year. Fanboy much?

McLaren produced the F1 20 or so years ago. Rookie = 1st year car company

·
Registered
89 Posts
You do realize that Tesla's first car was the Roadster right? Tesla has still not sold out of Roadsters even though they stopped producing Roadsters almost a year ago. I believe there were ~2500 Tesla Roadsters produced over 5 years. Fisker has sold 2000+ cars in its first year. Fanboy much?

McLaren produced the F1 20 or so years ago. Rookie = 1st year car company
Fanboy?? Of who? This is my second post here in two months.

Oh, and I'm fully aware of the Roadster. Remember seeing me on the Tesla forum? I was just comparing the Karma to Tesla's Model S numbers since they came to market at the same time. And the Model S is their first ground up project.

McLaren stopped building the F1 in 1996, and it was never sold in the U.S. And nowhere near the 12C's numbers. So yes I would qualify them as a rookie here.

Just trying to compare numbers for the sale of the question. Loosen your belt a bit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tesla has still not sold out of Roadsters even though they stopped producing Roadsters almost a year ago.
What makes a car company successful?

Tesla's first car was a very expensive 2-seater, which started shipping just as the biggest recession since the 1930's hit the US and global economies. Nevertheless, Tesla has had a successful IPO, with the stock doubling since then. It has received all of its DOE loan money. It successfully financed a factory purchase and ramp up for a second car, which is now being built and sold at the rate of thousands per month. That car is a critical and popular success with over 15K reservations remaining (there are none sitting on lots) as of a couple months ago.

Fisker hasn't done any of those things.

Now, if A123 had stayed solvent and didn't have quality problems, if a 12 volt electric fan hadn't sparked a fire or two, if 338 Karmas had been stored indoors, or at least on high ground - then things might be quite different.

I don't believe in luck, but if I were Henrik, I might be considering a chicken sacrifice, a la Bull Durham.

·
Registered
996 Posts
What makes a car company successful?

Tesla's first car was a very expensive 2-seater, which started shipping just as the biggest recession since the 1930's hit the US and global economies. Nevertheless, Tesla has had a successful IPO, with the stock doubling since then. It has received all of its DOE loan money. It successfully financed a factory purchase and ramp up for a second car, which is now being built and sold at the rate of thousands per month. That car is a critical and popular success with over 15K reservations remaining (there are none sitting on lots) as of a couple months ago.

Fisker hasn't done any of those things.

Now, if A123 had stayed solvent and didn't have quality problems, if a 12 volt electric fan hadn't sparked a fire or two, if 338 Karmas had been stored indoors, or at least on high ground - then things might be quite different.

I don't believe in luck, but if I were Henrik, I might be considering a chicken sacrifice, a la Bull Durham.
This is precisely the reason I like talking to you; you are a bit different than the rest of the Tesla fans :D.

I own a few shares of TSLA and have made a few dollars off of that stock so I am well aware of there financial success v Fisker. Fisker is like the 2009/2010 TSLA. Remember? We all were crapping our pants wondering if TSLA would survive and if we would all be left with orphaned cars? That is exactly Fisker now. There is no doubt in my mind Tesla can be successful; I am just not sure about the scale of success. I really think that the facility Tesla is operating in now is overkill and that they will not be able to sustain growth. Remember this is all pent up demand over the past 10 years or so (or perhaps longer since you could not buy the EV-1). I have serious questions about these thousands of reservations per month being sustainable long term.

You my friend have a short memory, I have been through the Tesla process a few times and know that in late 2009,2010 and especially 2011 in North America that Tesla had a hard time selling cars. In fact they were giving huge discounts on Roadsters (10k off Model S, short leases, financing, discounts etc).

Heck look how TSLA negotiated that factory purchase. Fisker spent almost the same amount on some old facility in Wilmington and TSLA got a great facility close to silicon valley to manufacture a silicon valley type car (OT WARNING: If I had a say in the Fisker auto plant procurement program I would have engaged the city of Downey and tried to step in after Tesla left them at the alter, it would have been the perfect scenario for Fisker- this is probably better for another thread). That isn't luck, Fisker isn't unlucky and Tesla isn't lucky. It's more or less personnel and the ability to hire the right people. This is the key to the current success of Tesla. Elon was able to create panache with the Tesla nameplate- and attract great employees. IMO its due to the wrong people in the wrong places at Fisker Auto.. I could be dead wrong but I truly believe that it all has to do with personnel. From what I know though I can see the tide is possibly turning at Fisker and this could help Fisker realize its true potential. I really think the true potential of Fisker would be limitless if the proper personnel was in place.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You my friend have a short memory, I have been through the Tesla process a few times and know that in late 2009,2010 and especially 2011 in North America that Tesla had a hard time selling cars. In fact they were giving huge discounts on Roadsters (10k off Model S, short leases, financing, discounts etc).
Don't need any sort of memory to read what I said and what I didn't say. I defined success differently than you did, and thought I was quite clear about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts