Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my Fisker Karma for almost 5 years now. It sure has been a learning experience, good, but mostly not so good. My experience of ownership was not so good because of the service that had been performed on the car. Nobody is culpable for anything these days, I had no choice but to repair the car myself. <br>

I am an electronics engineer, and work with fiber optic telemetry and communication systems in aircraft. I also ran a program that dealt with battery backup systems within aerospace and drones that is similar to the nanophosphate LiFePO4 pouch packs we have in our Fisker Karmas. While my experience was mostly overly-complicated government contracts, I can apply this experience to repair the Fisker.<br>

I have an eight part series where I modify my lift and remove/disassemble/repair the battery pack. It is not very complicated. Once people get over the fear of dying from electric shock, externally testing, diagnosing and repairing the battery pack is something you can do at almost any shop with a lift both 2 post and 4. I will show how to build test fixtures and a database to analyze the performance of the individual modules within the battery pack. Then, break a defective one apart and perform a successful inexpensive repair. I can supply the parts needed if you have trouble getting them.<br>

Subscribing to https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ71tTAvQ6dtYIMYZwgcoPg is the best thing you can do to get the videos when they are released. I will be releasing them once every few days to get the information out. Happy Thanksgiving all! :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have had my Fisker Karma for almost 5 years now. It sure has been a learning experience, good, but mostly not so good. My experience of ownership was not so good because of the service that had been performed on the car. Nobody is culpable for anything these days, I had no choice but to repair the car myself. <br>

I am an electronics engineer, and work with fiber optic telemetry and communication systems in aircraft. I also ran a program that dealt with battery backup systems within aerospace and drones that is similar to the nanophosphate LiFePO4 pouch packs we have in our Fisker Karmas. While my experience was mostly overly-complicated government contracts, I can apply this experience to repair the Fisker.<br>

I have an eight part series where I modify my lift and remove/disassemble/repair the battery pack. It is not very complicated. Once people get over the fear of dying from electric shock, externally testing, diagnosing and repairing the battery pack is something you can do at almost any shop with a lift both 2 post and 4. I will show how to build test fixtures and a database to analyze the performance of the individual modules within the battery pack. Then, break a defective one apart and perform a successful inexpensive repair. I can supply the parts needed if you have trouble getting them.<br>

Subscribing to https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ71tTAvQ6dtYIMYZwgcoPg is the best thing you can do to get the videos when they are released. I will be releasing them once every few days to get the information out. Happy Thanksgiving all! :)
Whatched it and liked it. Thanks! Looking forward to the rest of the sequel!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I watched the whole Karma battery replacement series on your YouTube channel. Excellent job! You made a very complex and daunting technical task look somewhat possible for someone with the proper tools to accomplish, with the added bonus of some entertaining commentary!
After watching your video my fear of a battery going bad and trying to source a replacement was lessoned and I decided to pull the trigger on a used Karma for sale locally! Thanks irarref215!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That series ended well for me. I broke it into many parts and time-stamped the videos so it would be easy for someone to find the information they are looking for in the future.

Prior to working on these videos, I purchased the cells. They took months to arrive from China but I finally got them. I expected much more to be wrong with the pack and I actually ordered 50 AMP-20 cells. As I demonstrated, only a single cell failure can break the serial chain and render the car undrivable under electric power. So happy to have the car back on the road and it drives great now.

Thank you for all who supported me with positive/constructive comments and also a couple of folks that bought me a beer or two. I have a few more things planned for this car, so keep your subscription while I work on some other cars:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
That series ended well for me. I broke it into many parts and time-stamped the videos so it would be easy for someone to find the information they are looking for in the future.

Prior to working on these videos, I purchased the cells. They took months to arrive from China but I finally got them. I expected much more to be wrong with the pack and I actually ordered 50 AMP-20 cells. As I demonstrated, only a single cell failure can break the serial chain and render the car undrivable under electric power. So happy to have the car back on the road and it drives great now.

Thank you for all who supported me with positive/constructive comments and also a couple of folks that bought me a beer or two. I have a few more things planned for this car, so keep your subscription while I work on some other cars:)
I enjoyed it a lot, it was very interesting and it learned me a lot. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge!

Good luck with your car(s)!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Great videos - thanks for making them (can’t have enough videos for our 2012s!).
Subscribed!

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I watched in awe as you removed the battery pack on your home made support table and proceeded to take it apart. Sure, I could take my Karma to a dealer to have the work done, but you make it seem almost possible to attempt on one's own. I say almost, because I'd still be too chicken to do it.

My hat is off to you.

Simon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an Afternoon Garage Facebook page, you can message me there. I also have Instagram. You can probably search it, or there is a direct link on the description of any video.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts