Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I would take any sort of release date with a huge amount of NaCl. As I recall, Tesla didn't exactly hit their targets either even though they started with an existing car shell. The Tesla Model S is a whole new design for Tesla so it is hard to tell how much they can leverage off their experience with the roadster. Also, and this is subjective, but the Tesla Model S looks to my eye like a 3-Series BMW, nowhere near as impressive as the Fisker. But it's good to keep your options open and consider alternatives. I am sticking with Fisker at this point, at least until I have had a chance to test drive the car during the road show.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
ct-fiskerbuzz said:
Ultimately the question (of "Karma vs Model S"), at least for me, boils down to these three items:
  1. Am I willing to wait an extra year-plus for the S?
  2. Do I want to save some bucks up front?
  3. Do I want electric-only?
The first is an obvious disavantage (to the Model S), the second an obvious advantage, and the third cuts both ways.

There's also more space (for passengers and cargo) in the Model S, but I don't yet know how much more.
Since none of us has had an opportunity to do a proper test drive of either car, there simply is no data to base a decision on, IMHO. We just have to wait and drive both cars to see what's what.

-- Fab

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Dutch said:
Hello Herb, maybe the Fisker Nina is another option for you. The price will be comparable to that of the Model S (the smaller battery-versions), it will be gorgeous (according to the people who have already seen it), it will have no range anxiety and it will be available around the same time when Tesla will have delivered to all current deposit holders, about 1,5 to 2 years from now.
Good point. The Nina is definitely better looking than the Tesla S. Or if you are really adventurous, you could wait for the Sunset.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
SoCalGuy said:
How do you know the Nina will be better looking than the Model S?
I have seen the Nina in person at a showing to investors back in April. Compared to the photos of the Model S, there is no contest, IMHO.

--Fab.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
SoCalGuy said:
I heard that some investors/management were worried that releasing the Nina too early would cannabilize Karma sales.
Fisker releasing anything too early Is not at the top of my concerns list at the moment. :-/ But is BMW cannibalizing the 7XX cars by selling 3XX cars? Probably not. Auto manufacturers sell cars at different price points with different features that appeal to different people.

-- Fab

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Other than the public reports of Nina pricing being around $50K, I have not heard any of that. It makes sense for Fisker to wait until there are a significant number of Karmas delivered to owners before they publicly commit to the next project. Also, assuming the Q-Drive works as advertised, it make sense to keep using it in the next couple of vehicles rather than start anew with a whole new configuration.

BTW, these are my own thoughts and I have no insight into what Fisker is thinking or doing any more than anyone else outside the company, so feel free to accept or reject my musings as you wish.

-- Fab

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
@SoCalGuy: Unfortunately, I cannot say anything about Nina's detailed design due to confidentiality agreements. You will just have to wait unti it is unveiled. Sorry.

--Fab.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
magnus said:
I have heard very little about the Nina... any idea when the design (or more information) will be unveiled?
I have not heard anything about Nina's unveiling date. Maybe Mr. Harris could shed some light on this.

--Fab

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
My ideal car would be a Fisker Karma with a Tesla S drive train ("Fiskla"?) The fact is that I will be using the Karma as a daily commuter and occasionally to drive to nearby locations for meetings, etc. and the range extending engine is going to be mostly dead weight for my purposes. But Tesla's styling just does not do it for me, so I will be sticking with the Karma for now.

-- Fab.[hr]
brian said:
The Nina makes the Model-S look like a practical joke. Seriously, I've seen it.. and WOW! Can't say anything beyond that, but the Model-S has nothing on the Nina. But then again, this is Fisker we're talking about, so we probably won't see it for 4 years, and when we do it'll won't live up to expectations :(
I agree that the Nina is much better looking than the Model S. I would hope that since they will be using the Karma drive train in the Nina, and that the Nina is smaller and (hopefully) lighter than the Karma, it would actually perform better. But as you said, this is Fisker and all bets are off until we see the final product.

-- Fab.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.