Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I see it differently. The crown jewel of Tesla is its thermal battery system, it's designed to extend battery's life cycle and utilize it as efficient as possible. The mission statement of Tesla is steer EV toward massive adoption, I doubt Tesla will create a track car any time soon.

I question what will the track racing do to the life cycle of Karma's battery, maybe it's still letting you push it hard is because it doesn't have any kind of protective system.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Karma does have a reduced performance mode if certain thermal thresholds (among other heavy cycle factors) are met. The NP batteries Fisker uses in the Karma are less finicky with regards to temp than the ones used in the Model S/Roadster. Having said that it is not the battery that is limiting performance but the electric motors and power electronics (same as the Roadster except the PEM on the Roadster was air-cooled). If I remember correctly, the inverter and motor on the Model S use the same coolant loop. I think this is a major factor behind why performance is limited.

I don't think anyone buys a Model S as a track car but doing a few loops should not render the car inoperable. Any other car in its class can go a few rounds without having the performance severely limited.
That I agree, I wonder if they have that fine print somewhere when they deliver the Model S....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.