Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
The Tesls Model S is set for release mid-2012, so 1 year from now. Make that fall 2012 with the delays that are bound to occur. There are already 4500 reservations in place, that is probably the complete production of year 1 (they are saying they will produce 5000 in 2012, do you believe that?). So you are looking at earliest delivery mid-2013, 2 years from now. If you switch you are probably setting yourself for another long, disappoiting wait. Groundhog Day comes to mind.

The Model is faster (compared to the Karma's Stealth-mode) and cheaper, those are strong points. The design is a personal choice. But real range will more likely be 220-250 than 300 miles (if the real range of the Leaf is any indication). Which means the maximum round trip without overnight stay will get you to a spot 120 miles away, and that is stretching (sweating) it. Something to consider if you don't have a second car. My brother has pre-ordered one, but he never goes further than 70-80 miles.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hello Herb, maybe the Fisker Nina is another option for you. The price will be comparable to that of the Model S (the smaller battery-versions), it will be gorgeous (according to the people who have already seen it), it will have no range anxiety and it will be available around the same time when Tesla will have delivered to all current deposit holders, about 1,5 to 2 years from now.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The Karma is definitely better looking, although I don't dislike the external look of the Model S. Just hope it will stick out enough between the likes of Lexus and Infiniti.

Big plus: it has more space for passengers in the back and it has the baggage space, back and front, that the Karma lacks.

But I was terrified two weeks ago when I saw the new dashboard. Last year it still had a nice dashboard, with brown leather and beautiful stitches. Now they have turned it into something minimalistic that you would find in a seventies minivan. The shiny wood belongs in an old Jag, not an EV. And the big control center - the size and functionality of which is great - doesn't fit well in the dashboard, especially in a front view. It looks awkward.

The back seats, although with plenty of leg room, look inadequate with not much lateral support.

Price is a plus again for the Model S, and so is the better performance. It is also more eco friendly, as it will never burn fossil fuels. But range anxiety could be a problem, especially with the smaller battery packs.

The Model S has a lot going for it, but I'd still pick the Karma over it, although a few days ago, when it looked as if we in Europe were looking at another delay of a few months, that preference caved for a moment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.