Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was exchanging posts with @PowerSource on Instagram and I wanted to start a thread, hoping everyone will get involved in the discusion of things you like and don't like (personal opinions). Things that you think the Revero missed or hit and why the Fisker Karma is still King :p :D :blush:

My likes on the Revero:
  • The Grill! OMG, I wish I had that grill.
  • The wheels, I love the new Black chrome V forks wheels. I am a fan of dark shinny wheels.
  • The brake caliper color combos are nice!
  • The REVERO lettering is elagant
  • The infotainment has to be better (including dashboard layout)
  • The sunroof can charge the car (no much but it can)
  • The Price (I hope it raises my value)

Why the Fisker is still King:
  • It doesn't have those smudged open diamond lines
  • The rear fascia under dome cage adds a Pop that the Revero just lacks with a smooth body line.
  • The Fisker logo is the original, elegant, and valued as the first
  • The solar roof on the Fisker has better lines. The Revero staright lines are blah.
  • The paint colors are better on the Fisker by FAR!
  • Nothing has really changed for an owner to upgrade at the $130K price
  • The cup holders are still the same :p

While I think the Revero is a fine car and I value the Infotainment center. It just looks flat, too smooth, and blah. I think they could have done a lot more to make the car more concept than production.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Challenge is we all have or had these cars but they are 5 years old now with no real warranty and fragmented dealer support.

Ultimately New Jersey was too far from Michigan for reliable service so I had to sell mine and just take a break for a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Challenge is we all have or had these cars but they are 5 years old now with no real warranty and fragmented dealer support.

Ultimately New Jersey was too far from Michigan for reliable service so I had to sell mine and just take a break for a bit.
Don't blame you

·
Registered
189 Posts

this the reason(s) the cars are a hard sell. Typical buyer needs/wants dealer access within a reasonable towing distance. Until that happens the car sales will remain flat. I know people will argue Ferrari/Lambo and the likes have the same challenges, but the Karma is not and will never be in the same category as an aspiration/luxury brand IMO.

My likes on the Revero:
1. The Grill! OMG, I wish I had that grill.
- Agree great looking update
2. The wheels, I love the new Black chrome V forks wheels. I am a fan of dark shinny wheels.
- Wheel options definite plus, but not necessary. The Karma wsa well known for the flashy aftermarket wheels that several buyers slapped on the individualize their cars when first introduced and I expect to see the same.

3. The brake caliper color combos are nice!
- Agree, this tends to be one of those owner mods that is so common it should be an option

4. The REVERO lettering is elagant
- Thumbs down on this one...I prefer to see profiles clean. If you want to put a name on the car it belongs in the REAR! and in small script so not to detract from the car. The be lettering on the side looks like someone went out and slapped the name the side themselves. People intuitively look to the rear of the for the make/model and the comment you will hear is the car is a Karma (omitting the fact that it is a REVERO).
I never had anyone mention nice looking EVer you have there.

5. The infotainment has to be better (including dashboard layout)
- Yep - much needed

6. The sunroof can charge the car (no much but it can)
- Useless another example of "Why Tech" and not "High Tech", I seriously doubt saying the car can add +/-1 mile of range with a roof will amaze anyone

7. The Price (I hope it raises my value)
- Way over priced for a mostly parts bin car despite the all the great updates and upgrades. Based on other cars as an example, a 1st Generation (GEN1) car with a sketchy past and functionality/performance delta will not benefit and most likely be further beaten down as the Revero's enter the secondary market in 1-4 years...the benefits to price stability will mostly come from a dealer/service network and not similarity of the cars

Why the Fisker is still King (Emperor has No Clothes):

1. It doesn't have those smudged open diamond lines The rear fascia under dome cage adds a Pop that the Revero just lacks with a smooth body line.
- I personally like the changes on the Revero - nice new touches

2. The Fisker logo is the original, elegant, and valued as the first
- NO value, Fisker's logo was used on other cars he produced (ie Latigo CS)...again no value and next to ZERO brand recognition. If you want a car to have value it has to have luxury brand recognition...Fisker does NOT

3. The solar roof on the Fisker has better lines. The Revero staright lines are blah.
- Both roofs are useless, but I agree the Fisker roof looks better - If it only actually did something

4. The paint colors are better on the Fisker by FAR!
- Not really - I always thought it was far too limited. The Diamond Dust was a love/hate color...I have heard many positive and equally negative comments (looks like glitter on a bass boat) about it. I personally like it and have a Shadow, but would have preferred if a darker gray was available like the new color available.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The solar panels are helpful for those of us who live in serious sun because of the circulating fan. I haven't heard if the new Karmas still have that since they tied it into the HV battery. I think the new colors are bland compared to the originals. There's nothing like Laguna, Inferno, or Deep Ocean that "pop". But, I've also heard the Diamond Dusts are really hard to match if you need body work. Most of the 2017 wheel choices I think are not as nice as the stock 2012 to me. The brakes, btw, even if painted are downgraded from ours. They did (I hear) upgrade the Traction Motors so that the spline thickness is increased (making it less likely to sheer). Which is how they were able to cut the 0-60 time -- the software can safely shoot a little more power to it without tearing itself apart. I like my existing dashboard better -- as long as a CEL isn't blocking my digital speedometer. My real questions are how long is the new warranty, and can you go 6 months without seeing a CEL on the new cars?

·
Registered
189 Posts
The solar panels are helpful for those of us who live in serious sun because of the circulating fan.
Yes nice to have feature, but you do not need a solar panel roof for the feature/function. Back in 1995 a BMW 7-series I had offered the same feature w/o a panel and several other cars offer the feature today with no panel or with small panels integrated into a sunroof.

An adjustable pano roof would have been a better use of the space with a "dial feature" like the old Ferrari SuperAmerica that lets you change the level of tint from Dark to Clear with a control dial (that would have been sweet).

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Yes nice to have feature, but you do not need a solar panel roof for the feature/function. Back in 1995 a BMW 7-series I had offered the same feature w/o a panel and several other cars offer the feature today with no panel or with small panels integrated into a sunroof.

An adjustable pano roof would have been a better use of the space with a "dial feature" like the old Ferrari SuperAmerica that lets you change the level of tint from Dark to Clear with a control dial (that would have been sweet).
A 10-20W panel that resides in the threshold pieces would have been adequate power for the fan. Could have even put a peltier plate in line with the air path to cool or heat the air. Main issue with the current solar configuration is the sun angle.

It is more of a design theme rather than useful. People ask about it all the time.... form over function.

The original Karma was supposed to have pre-conditioning that could be activated by the key fob.

With regards to the panel powering the pack it is sort of useless IMO because the interior will be extremely hot by the time you get in. Any battery gains from 8+ hour parking the sun will have been negated immediately by having to use the AC immediately upon entry into the vehicle to offset the heat. This system would be a boon in Alaska to Seattle in the Summer. Mild temps and huge sun exposure.

I guess if you park your vehicle outside and it gets sparse use for many months that could be useful, but circulating ambient air in the cabin seems to be almost useless. It is just circulating hot air prior to the cooled air turning to ambient temp.

The one case study where I think it maybe useful is, if the cabin is already cold and you spend less than an hour in hot weather between errands; even then the cost and weight of the panel offset any real gains unless the use is sparse or extremely often.

When I ordered my car, the panel was a 5k option; one can only assume that cost was added to the previous MSRP and the new MSRP?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Overall, I prefer the original Henrik Fisker design over a copy.

The systems improvements are desirable, but all of them can be achieved for a lot less money without altering the external design.

The new CIU is better than what we have, but I prefer the current instrument panel design that combines the classic dials with electronic displays, over a plain flat screen.

I have not seen the cars in person, but the color samples I saw did not really appeal to me. They may look better on the car in person.

Overall, I am keeping my Karma, at least for now.

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not seen the cars in person, but the color samples I saw did not really appeal to me. They may look better on the car in person.
Personal preference I guess. I think the colors are dull and have no pop. They just look boring. When you have car that looks this good you don't put pastel looking colors on it. The Red is decent, but the rest are dull that just flatten the lines of the car and that is sad.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My Deep Ocean with Diamond Dust dances and gets loads of attention, even from bass fisher people:). Still think my grandkids will enjoy this car as much as my own kids like our '69 GTO. This is a limited edition vehicle and now that I have had Joe bring it up to speed, I feel it will stay in my inventory. Oh yes, it is a much better drive than the GTO and our '62 Morgan. Not really interested in the new copy.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The new Grill is nicer, but it looks like the insert will fit into the space on the 2012, so hopefully it will be available as a part to improve the 2012 appearance.

The new roof panels between the windshield and the solar array, and between the array and the rear windshield, are glass (2012 is metal, and mine is rusting). Again, I'm hoping this part will fit the 2012.

I like how "KARMA" reads on the trunk lid, but it would be misrepresentation to buy the lettering to update the 2012. Still, it's possible to do so. Same with the front and rear emblems (though maybe not if they're "hand-painted")

I guess I like the diamond lines on the Revero more, but that entire fascia is still going to be as prone to damage/scraping now as it was in 2012, so who cares (no improvement on clearance means it's still a "fail").

I prefer the diamond dust paints on the 2012, but I hope some day to do a wrap, making the difference irrelevant.

The big issues for me are price (130+ vs. 45), and service. Despite the confusion and malaise when I bought my 2012 during the bankruptcy, I actually feel that I had access to more proximate and responsive service center in 2013 than I would as a prospective owner in 2017. [back in those days the Miami CSP was 5 miles from my driveway] And with FA not releasing the software, I have additional concerns that I'd have a positive experience with a 2017.

Put another way: I'd have much more confidence buying a 2017 if FA had made some different choices with respect to the 2012 - choices which aren't too late to change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts