Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I think my CIU is fried as a friend ended up taking my Fisker accidentally through a high pressure car wash and now I just get the logo screen after turning it on and nothing more. The screen with the AGREE button never shows up, even after waiting for an extended period of time. After researching this forum on anyone's similar issues, I have tried the following:

-Replaced the 12v battery
-Verified that I can't still press the AGREE button then voice button but NOTHING is heard. The AGREE button does not show, but this is to test if the CIU responds and an issue with the touchscreen.
-Tested both Key Fobs and they both work fully and unlock the doors and allow you to start the car.
-Everything else on the car runs fine and you can drive it, just the display is stuck on the logo screen and you are not able to use any functions of the command center - CIU.
-Not sure whereto look for any cable disconnects, but I do not think that would be the issue.

Does anyone have a replacement CIU and directions on how to replace it? The Visteon part number is VPBJTF-18C815-CC. I tried to inquire to Visteon for the part, but it seems they won't sell one to me, as they will only sell to vehicle manufacturers and not to end customers. Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
391 Posts
I assume you tried a hard reset on the car? Do a search on here for how to pull the plug and make sure you wait 10+ minutes before hooking up again (critical).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@shrowell - No, not fixed yet. I believe the CIU is dead, so I will need to maybe have it reflashed and if that doesn't work, a new CIU may be needed. Hoping a new CIU is not the case. I will keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Folks,

Does anyone have a picture of the CIU and what it looks like? Trying to remove it, but not sure which component it is behind the glove box? Thank you.

-Michael

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, here is a picture of the CIU if anyone ever needs it. Now that I have it pulled out, I need to determine if it is dead/fried or not. Anyone have any ideas? I have a few options on trying to fix it, trying to see what is best and works 100%.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Well, here is a picture of the CIU if anyone ever needs it. Now that I have it pulled out, I need to determine if it is dead/fried or not. Anyone have any ideas? I have a few options on trying to fix it, trying to see what is best and works 100%.

I am meeting with socalguy (long time forum member) tomorrow as he has the same issue. (i.e stuck on logo and defrost fan constantly running). The car supposedly had the intrusion fix and had not been recently exposed to water. Going to try to flash with PUMA and see if it can be fixed. But usually these symptoms are that of a failed TPI (not ciu) since the TPI fail safe is to go into defrost mode. Will post results after trying a few tricks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello PowerSource,

Thank you for you assistance. Yes, I get the logo screen only and it seems the defrost fan is stuck on. I will need to pt it back together to verify the defrost is what stays on. Is the TPI the actual touch panel or is it what controls the touch panel or some other component? Where would the TPI part be and any instructions on taking it out? Thank you.

·
1,172 Posts
Hello PowerSource,

Thank you for you assistance. Yes, I get the logo screen only and it seems the defrost fan is stuck on. I will need to pt it back together to verify the defrost is what stays on. Is the TPI the actual touch panel or is it what controls the touch panel or some other component? Where would the TPI part be and any instructions on taking it out? Thank you.
Yes it is the main resistive tough screen. You have to remove the center console armrest.

But before you do any of this, did you notice any water/moisture by the CIU when you removed it? If you are handy you can open up the CIU a few screws and clasps and look inside to see if there is any water intrusion.

If there is you can try to ultrasonically clean the board. Most any electronics repair shop should have an ultrasonic cleaner.

Does your Karma have the water intrusion fix by the cabin air filter on the cowling?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello PowerSource,

I did not notice any water, wetness, or dried water spots. It did have the water intrusion fix done by FixMyKarma years ago, so I did not think it would have water damage. But it did get taken through a high pressure wash, so not sure if water still made its way into the CIU. I will check the inside.

Please let me know if the TPI flash resolves your issue. If it does, would I able to send mine to you and have you try the same thing? Please let me know once you find out.

Thanks for your assistance.

·
1,172 Posts
Hello PowerSource,

I did not notice any water, wetness, or dried water spots. It did have the water intrusion fix done by FixMyKarma years ago, so I did not think it would have water damage. But it did get taken through a high pressure wash, so not sure if water still made its way into the CIU. I will check the inside.

Please let me know if the TPI flash resolves your issue. If it does, would I able to send mine to you and have you try the same thing? Please let me know once you find out.

Thanks for your assistance.

Hello,

My plan is to first flash the CIU with PUMA and see if that resolves it, if not then I will flash the TPI and if that does not work then I may swap a spare CIU I have into the vehicle and see if that works, if not then I will swap in a spare TPI. At least that would be my troubleshooting steps.

Hopefully it is just that the bootloader got corrupted as that is the easiest fix with a flash. The odd thing is your vehicle was exposed to water and has this issue which would point to water intrusion- where as Socalguys car was never exposed to water and was an ex-fisker company car- so it likely had the water intrusion fix applied.

Since your problems occurred after the high pressure wash, it would point to water intrusion being the cause- since this was not a problem previous to the water exposure. So could be two completely different problems.

Out of curiosity what software version are you on 520,530 or 535? I have seen issues where if the flashes are done in an incorrect sequence it can cause CIU issues- after some time- know its weird) but have seen it before. The car I am helping out with tomorrow is on 53x and I am wondering if these CIU issues are more prevalent with 53x vs 520.

·
Premium Member
3,078 Posts
Dont waste your time with the touch screen it's not the problem i only replaced two touch screens in 5 years and they were replaced because the screen cracked. I hate to burst your bubble but with the amount of CIU I've replaced I don't think it's coming back alive. Doesn't hurt to try and I hope it starts working again.

·
1,172 Posts
Dont waste your time with the touch screen it's not the problem i only replaced two touch screens in 5 years and they were replaced because the screen cracked. I hate to burst your bubble but with the amount of CIU I've replaced I don't think it's coming back alive. Doesn't hurt to try and I hope it starts working again.
Inspected SCG car today , CIU unresponsive... Adam as usual is right... water looks to have gotten in from observing the way the silicon was applied bummer. Another CIU bites the dust! looks like CIU's should be hoarded at this point because so many are going bad with even the "fix" applied. I bet this one was applied by Lormax as I can tell it was not even sealed on certain portions. Just a glob. :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi...having the same issue....Screen stuck on Fisker Logo and blower fan fan full blast. Car drives but I don't hear the engine coming on in sport mode. 12 V Batter charger shows full charge...is it possible battery is the culprit?
Any input much appreciated...cheers

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Uh-oh, I had mine sealed by Lormax (Travis) years ago. Better get it checked out as my Karma sits outside most of the time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The owners manual for the new Karma states that the car should hand washed only. The car should never go to a car wash. I'm not sure any new owners are aware of this.
I have not seen any "posts" regarding the above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having the EXACT same issue! Getting ready to take it to Irvine, CA for service but if anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts