Fisker Buzz Forums banner

What should we do with Fisker Karma prototype mule #3?

• Ditch the electric stuff and put in a big block ICE?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After all the negativity and just mentally taxing topics on the forum lately we thought it would be fun to get the forums input on a very special Fisker Karma build.

We own Fisker Karma prototype #3 and it basically is a basket case. We want to do a build on this car but thought it would be fun to get input from the forum.

Currently the vehicle is a Shadow Exterior with an Eco-Standard black interior.

Above is a poll of some of the possible iterations and options that this special car can become.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
As I have been saying for years, my dream car would be a Fisker on the outside and Tesla under the skin, a Tisker, or Fesla. The all-EV choice is really a no-trainer for me.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I have been saying for years, my dream car would be a Fisker on the outside and Tesla under the skin, a Tisker, or Fesla. The all-EV choice is really a no-trainer for me.
There is a moral dilemma in that is this a historic vehicle? I think this is the only existing Karma prototype (other than the non-running Laguna roller and Karma 1- deep ocean).

Proto 3 actually has some interesting features like an ottoman and television (the passenger seat is removed and an ottoman is in its place).

The headliner is canyon. Pretty interesting, still have not been able to get the trunk to open (wonder what is in there!).

Maybe later I will take more detailed pics but unsure if this is a piece of history that should be changed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
A prototype car with original history will someday be more valuable than a modified car, IMO. While I, like others, would love to see an all-electric modified Karma, I'd do it on any number of other cars you could buy cheaply (e.g.: if they have a friend drivetrain or battery).

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
There is a moral dilemma in that is this a historic vehicle? I think this is the only existing Karma prototype (other than the non-running Laguna roller and Karma 1- deep ocean).

Proto 3 actually has some interesting features like an ottoman and television (the passenger seat is removed and an ottoman is in its place).

The headliner is canyon. Pretty interesting, still have not been able to get the trunk to open (wonder what is in there!).

Maybe later I will take more detailed pics but unsure if this is a piece of history that should be changed.
A prototype car with original history will someday be more valuable than a modified car, IMO. While I, like others, would love to see an all-electric modified Karma, I'd do it on any number of other cars you could buy cheaply (e.g.: if they have a friend drivetrain or battery).
I failed to appreciate the uniqueness of this particular vehicle. I agree with @Dave_Car_Guy that this particular vehicle should be preserved in its original condition. If there were a way to change my vote, I would do it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just can't see how it will have any value as a prototype. I doubt the new Karma will succeed with their current business plan - essentially the first production run was all prototypes!

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please post pictures of this car's special features - very interesting.
will take pics once I get back to the shop... It is a pretty interesting setup

The passenger seat has been modified so that it is merely a seat cushion that serves as an ottoman. There is a LCD monitor in place of the glove box (you can sort of see it in the image- the square thing on the passenger side). Most of the electronics have been removed, nothing is really functioning and I do not have the guts to power it up as yet :)

Still cannot find a good way to get into the trunk as there is no way to open it and I really do not want to damage it.

Anyone here know Alex Klatt (main interior Fisker guy when this was built)? would be interesting to know the history of this car. I know back in the day, in Anaheim, they had renderings of this car and a bunch of images etc. I think this was supposed to be a prototype for the China market but I am not entirely sure.

If anyone can dig up any additional information, be it brochures, images or speaking with Alex Klatt please let us know. We would love to restore it back to its original vision.

The right thing is to probably restore this back to its original glory per Dave's post.

If anyone can be of help let us know. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Anyone here know Alex Klatt (main interior Fisker guy when this was built)?
He has a LinkenIN profile here. Seems like the right guy since he is in Henrik and Bill Stinnet's networks. If you have a profile, you can send him a message through LinkedIN.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He has a LinkenIN profile here. Seems like the right guy since he is in Henrik and Bill Stinnet's networks. If you have a profile, you can send him a message through LinkedIN.
We do not have access to send him a message through LinkedIN. If anyone could; that would be helpful. Plan on documenting the build on Fiskerbuzz, I think it will be fun!

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
This is one of the most interesting threads for a while - thank you. One thing I don't see mentioned is how you came to own this prototype. There's got to be a story there...

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is one of the most interesting threads for a while - thank you. One thing I don't see mentioned is how you came to own this prototype. There's got to be a story there...

It was going to be crushed by the previous owner and I bought it. A lot of the original prototypes were crushed when they moved out of Anaheim.

For example this zebra car was crushed, the first real driving Karma from 2008 with UQM motors. Pretty sad actually.

The two mule trucks were sold for scrap metal (2008 Chevy Silverado with UQM motors and a battery pack in the bed).

You can see some of the prototypes in this video

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Fab, I am not on the all-EV page until the range anxiety is reduced by the coming improvement in charging efficiency. I have been on an "EV-drive about" and the race to charging stations was as tense as the impatience about the length of time individuals monopolized the units. I just spent my time talking about the best looking car there and acknowledging the fact that we are in a transition time from fossil fuels.
Powersource: keep the uniqueness. if you can't open that trunk, no one can!

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What color is it? It isn't one of the production colors (at least doesn't look like one)

It is the first shadow (prototype 3) but an eco standard (black interior). Total basket case that requires new harness and everything else. Later this week hopefully have most of it apart to start the restoration back to the original Fisker Karma limo :). This thing has copious amounts of sound deadening everywhere.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
It is the first shadow (prototype 3) but an eco standard (black interior). Total basket case that requires new harness and everything else. Later this week hopefully have most of it apart to start the restoration back to the original Fisker Karma limo :). This thing has copious amounts of sound deadening everywhere.
Please, please, please, document the build with lots of photographs and video. It would be fascinating to see a Karma taken apart and put back together again. A time lapse would be ideal, if you can set that up.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
The above posts are somewhat fascinating.
For those of us Fisker Karma neophytes would someone please help explain/define some or all of the following:

Fisker Karma prototype
only existing Karma prototype?
(Other than the non running Laguna roller?)
(and other than the Karma 1 deep ocean?)

mule (what is a mule?)

mule #3 (was there a mule #1 , #2 , #4 & beyond?) (any significance to mule #3 ?)

China mule (what is a China mule?)

Fisker Karma car crushing? why?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
@buzinvest

Most prototypes were crushed / dismantled. There appears to be only 3 left. This is 1 of the 3.

A mule is a car that has the drivetrain (electric motors, inverters, various control units, battery pack, etc.) from the Fisker, without having the Fisker body on it (for longer established carmakers, they typically use older car models from the same line). Usually these are grafted onto an existing platform like the Chevy truck in this case. A good example of this, is the upcoming mid-engine Chevrolet Corvette. The mule for that car was a 2014 Holden Ute with the running components arranged in the bed of the vehicle. (Here's what that looked like.)

For Fisker, there were other mules / test cars, but a large majority of them were either scrapped, crushed, or sold to private collectors.

Cars a typically crushed by manufacturers for a variety of reasons.
1. They don't meet US regulatory standards, so they cannot be sold like a regular car.
2. They need the space, and cannot store the vehicle.
3. The vehicle has served its purpose and is being eliminated.

Typically, unless the drivetrain/technology features critical IP, most auto manufacturers will sell to a select group of private buyers. These guys and gals typically purchase prototype cars that were made specifically for major car shows, however they will purchase a mule or test vehicle if the right opportunity presented itself.

If there is critical IP on the vehicle, the vehicle usually has its critical components removed for further evaluation, and the rest of the car is either scrapped or crushed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts