Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

Some of you may know or remember me. In January 2020 I regrettably sold my car and subsequently bought a 2017 Jaguar F-Type R. (Some of the reasons why are posted on here, but if I can pass along ANY advice, then buy from a person that KNOWS Fisker Karmas.) At the time I mentioned that I'd likely own another Fisker Karma one day, and I'm happy to say that with a little bit of good fortune and patience, I'll be buying a car from Joe Ferrante in early September! To say I'm excited is a bit of an understatement. ;)

With that in mind, I'm interested to see what owners we have here - old and new. I'm sure many of the "old heads" are still present but I'd like to see where everyone is. One reason is because I work on Luke AFB in Glendale, AZ. From the time I first owned my car until the present, I've passed another individual that works on base multiple times that ALSO owns a Fisker Karma, yet I have no idea who he is or where he works on base. He literally works blocks away from me. We both have/had silver Fiskers. If you're that man, I apologize for not tracking you down...lol.

So, if you're willing, please give some details about yourself and your car. I'll start with some suggestions, but feel free to answer what you like, ignore other parts, and even add other sections on your own.

Name: Ed Rutkowski
Car details:
  • Model: Silver EcoChic
  • Date you became an owner: 17 Mar 18 (sold 29 Jan 20)
-
Favorite thing(s) about ownership:
  • Great conversation starter
  • Uniqueness of owning and driving a very rare car
  • Taking my Fisker Karma to a car show!
  • The ride is comfortable
  • I can save $$$ on gas (and maintenance/service, if I buy from Joe :cool:)
Things you'd like to change (I'm sure most items are out of our control)::
  • Better access to parts (BTW - thank you to the experts that continue to keep all of us and our cars afloat (not meant as a pun for flooded Fisker Karmas :sneaky:)
  • Things we could do better as a group to help each other (i.e., better consolidation / easier access to / library of Fisker data.

Thanks for humoring me, and I look forward to acquiring another Fisker Karma and getting re-acquainted with all of you.

Ed

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hello Ed. I remember you from a while back. I owned the 1st Fisker in AZ (delivered FEB 2013) and held on as long as possible but parts were becoming an issue - even though no issues with my car- and the battery pack approaching a critical time. When KARMA decided to not service Fisker Karmas anymore I did not want to risk it. Sold it (MISS it) and also got a F-TYPE R (2018) as I am the original owner of my 2002 XK8 still. Also ended up with AUDI RS GT ETRON and while it is a fun car to drive it is nowhere near as "classic" as the FISKER KARMA. If we had reliable service here from someone who could source parts and knew what they were doing (was sending to SoCal when needed) I would never have sold it. Had mine for 8 years and loved every minute of it.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Hi Ed,
I traded in my Fisker for a BMW i8 around 4 years ago. I do like my i8, it's more fun to drive than the old fisker, but it certainly isn't as classy and BMW quality is an issue. I never had any serious problems with the Fisker, but I sold it for the same reason as SportsMedDoc. Owning a BMW i8, Tesla X , Cadillac ELR and a large assortment of bicycles, leaves me no more room in my garage. I will always miss my Karma as well.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also ended up with AUDI RS GT ETRON and while it is a fun car to drive it is nowhere near as "classic" as the FISKER KARMA.
My wife and I both like these cars. She'd love to get one, but we'll have to wait a few years for the pricing to come down...lol.

If we had reliable service here from someone who could source parts and knew what they were doing (was sending to SoCal when needed) I would never have sold it.
I found Drambo Motors around the time I sold my Fisker. If I remember right, the owner came from working for Karma in the Chicago area. I few people locally have had good things to say about his shop.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ed,
I traded in my Fisker for a BMW i8 around 4 years ago. I do like my i8, it's more fun to drive than the old fisker, but it certainly isn't as classy and BMW quality is an issue. I never had any serious problems with the Fisker, but I sold it for the same reason as SportsMedDoc. Owning a BMW i8, Tesla X , Cadillac ELR and a large assortment of bicycles, leaves me no more room in my garage. I will always miss my Karma as well.
I really like the design of the i8 as well - good choice!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Ed,

I've had my Karma since 2014. Unfortunately, some of the well known issues happened to the car and it sat from about 2016, until 2020. That I'm thankful for Joe Ferrante is an understatement! Not easy getting it from Florida to Philly, but worth it.

Things I love about my car would be the conversation starter, and I just love driving it and the attention it brings.

Obviously, the issues and getting them corrected are a problem, and that is the one thing I would change. I've thought about selling, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi Ed and welcome back!
I'm Mark, formerly from Miami and now in Orlando.
On my 10th year with the Fisker (Shadow EcoSport) and no problems. Had the tie rods in the front replaced at a regular tire store (Gator Tire), oil changes, try to get through gas but usually forget to force it with some "sport mode", so I fill the gas up to about half and not further (for fear it will sit in there too long).

I'm at about 45,000 miles now, and they seem to get added more slowly each year (I work from home, and not much driving, though this is my 'daily' to the extent I have one; on weekends we usually use the Tesla 3 for shopping and hauling). Most of the miles were added in the first 2 years, when it was my wife's commuting car, and she had a long commute, but since then it's been about 5000/year. Great car - still looks amazing and has aged well, and still gets comments almost every time I drive it. It's the Tesla I'll probably sell first (Musk's antics tire me, and I'm looking to replace it with a Cadillac Lyriq or an Audi Q4, both in the $60K range, while I can sell the Tesla for close to $40K).

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Ed,

I've had my Karma since 2014. Unfortunately, some of the well known issues happened to the car and it sat from about 2016, until 2020. That I'm thankful for Joe Ferrante is an understatement! Not easy getting it from Florida to Philly, but worth it.
Wow, four years idle? That had to drive you crazy. Glad to hear you got it back up and running!

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ed and welcome back!
I'm Mark, formerly from Miami and now in Orlando.
On my 10th year with the Fisker (Shadow EcoSport) and no problems.
It's good to see original owners still around, and that you've had few issues with yours. I wonder how may there are on here?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had 10 years with my Shadow EcoSport as well. No problems after the first year or two. Thank you Pat’s Garage for helping to get my defective OEM HV battery replaced. Since then, everything about the car has been rock solid. Still love driving it.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve had 10 years with my Shadow EcoSport as well. No problems after the first year or two.
It's reassuring to read comments like these. This time around I'll be starting off with a much better car than the first time, so I hope to have a similar experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all. I'm Michael from Los Angeles. I have a white Ecosport which I've owned since March 2014.

I loved this car when I first saw it and it still feels great to drive it every chance I get. Everything's been working fine since 2 cells and a contactor were replaced in 2015. Other than that I had an issue passing smog with my last renewal which fixed itself with repeated extended driving using on sport mode. I have one of the last units made with a serial number above 2,200 so hopefully most bugs were fixed by then.

Started with about 3,800 miles and going on 44k now. It's my daily driver but like Mark said I'm also driving less so most of the miles were added a few years ago.

I though about selling it several times but I could never find any other car that checked all the boxes for me like the Karma does. I have a couple of other choices in the garage but I keep jumping into this one. I think the trick to keeping these cars healthy is to drive them often but don't push them past their limits. Hoping to enjoy the car for many more years!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts