Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys!

A guy from Quebec , Canada here . I can have some kind of winter kit(21" mags with winter tires) for my fisker.

Do you think it worth it to try it in winter, or its just better to put in the garage and wait for spring ?

Thank

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Not a good car for snow at all. With the karmas weight and wide tire footprint its not gonna stop well on slippery surfaces no matter what tire, plus the 4" ground clearance. The other issue is aggressive road salt and cinders affecting the paint finish. The cold is not a big deal other than the PTC electric heat reducing the range.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I disagree with Fisker Philly. I have found that my fisker has performed remarkably well in the snow with the snow tire package. Obviously you aren't driving a Audi with quattro or a sport utility with high road clearance, but if you are expecting that type of winter performance from a rear wheel drive sport sedan you are fooling yourself. Think of an M5, M3, Porsche or anything else and it would handle equally well. But you definately need the snow package. If you want your car to be a garage queen and never suffer any kind of wear and tear on the paint or undercarriage then obviously don't drive it in the winter. Since you are in Quebec, my guess is you know how to drive in the snow, which seems to be a completely lost skill in most of the Mid-Atlantic/New York area. I say drive it, but just use some common sense.

·
2012 Karma #687
55 Posts
Can someone please post a picture of there Karma with the winter tires on it?!?! I want to see how it looks with the winter rims on it???

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Winter Fisker

Hi mikefisker,

I am located in Southern Alberta and bought my Fisker on Dec. 7, 2013. I have almost 23K km on it and it is my daily driver. My car was TERRIBLE with the stock 22" Goodyear F1's. Could barely take a corner at all and got stuck on a 1 degree incline in the snow. Very embarrassing to be driving such a fine vehicle and can't get through an intersection. I have a set of aftermarket 21" rims with the Yokohama W-drive tires and it is like night and day. The car is heavy and so pushes the snow tires into the snow and ice and it sticks a lot better. I would agree with the previous comments about still having to be respectful of the conditions but it is significantly improved. I have noted a couple things with winter driving: My HVAC system can't keep up with the extreme cold. I have had my car out in temperatures colder than -30 Celcius and it gets a little chilly in the cabin. Maybe just my car, hard to say. (Interestingly, seems to do OK when the defrost is on so maybe it is just a sensor problem.) The other is that with the lovely flaring of the rear wheel well that adds so much to the look of the car, the front part of the wheel well catches all the gravel thrown up my the front wheels. I put a 3M plastic there and it was shredded in only a couple thousand km. The pain is completely speckled there now and so I am looking for other options for protecting this area. If you want a pristine car, don't drive it in the winter. If you want a beautiful car that will get you through most driving conditions, enjoy all winter and be prepared for some wear and tear on your car.

Couple of other points: Battery range goes down by about 20 percent. Combination of increased draw from heating system and decreased capacity of the battery in cold weather. I can get about 65 - 70 km on a charge in the summer and this drops to 45 - 50 km in the winter.

Also, the anti-slip system works really well!!!

Here are a couple of pics from last winter.

Strobe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I also drive my Karma all year and have the snow package. Photos are in my garage page. I've had it out in up to 8" snowfalls and I'm amazed how well it has done.
I can e-mail you a few videos if you want :).
With sensible driving and frequent washing...I'd say go for it!
Acutally my profile photo shows the snow package now that I think about it!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Strobe. my good man!! Your photo in the snow doesn't make me wonder about the Fisker in Winter, but it certainly makes me respect anyone who can live through those conditions and not hibernate! Yes, I am a thin-blooded California guy, and although have spent much time in Alberta, that white-out picture makes me want to just stay at home warming my hands around a roaring Tesla fire!

(Just kidding!! I love Teslas, too)

·
Registered
41 Posts
You did mention the 3M plastic, but I really recommend the Xpel Ultimate film for everyone. That stuff really does a remarkable job, and is a self-healing film. (Some sort of voodoo magic makes scratches in the film disappear :) - actually elastomeric polymers "re-link" when heated) Also has a 10 year warranty. Xpel has the templates for a full wrap of the entire vehicle, courtesy of one of the Karma owners in Texas, IIRC. For me, the best Karma related investment I've made.

The other is that with the lovely flaring of the rear wheel well that adds so much to the look of the car, the front part of the wheel well catches all the gravel thrown up my the front wheels. I put a 3M plastic there and it was shredded in only a couple thousand km. The paint is completely speckled there now and so I am looking for other options for protecting this area.

Strobe

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Karma does great in the snow with the winter tires on it. Between them and the traction control, you'll be quite surprised just how well it does. I was part of the team that did the winter testing for the Karma. It did just fine.

·
Registered
304 Posts
DEATH - that is my experience today in the snow. DO NOT DRIVE WITHOUT SNOW TIRES.

Just like any car without appropriate winter tires they are horrible. Hopped in my R63 with 4 snow tires and 4wd and it drove like a mountain goat today.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Hi mikefisker,

I am located in Southern Alberta and bought my Fisker on Dec. 7, 2013. I have almost 23K km on it and it is my daily driver. My car was TERRIBLE with the stock 22" Goodyear F1's. Could barely take a corner at all and got stuck on a 1 degree incline in the snow. Very embarrassing to be driving such a fine vehicle and can't get through an intersection. I have a set of aftermarket 21" rims with the Yokohama W-drive tires and it is like night and day. The car is heavy and so pushes the snow tires into the snow and ice and it sticks a lot better. I would agree with the previous comments about still having to be respectful of the conditions but it is significantly improved. I have noted a couple things with winter driving: My HVAC system can't keep up with the extreme cold. I have had my car out in temperatures colder than -30 Celcius and it gets a little chilly in the cabin. Maybe just my car, hard to say. (Interestingly, seems to do OK when the defrost is on so maybe it is just a sensor problem.) The other is that with the lovely flaring of the rear wheel well that adds so much to the look of the car, the front part of the wheel well catches all the gravel thrown up my the front wheels. I put a 3M plastic there and it was shredded in only a couple thousand km. The pain is completely speckled there now and so I am looking for other options for protecting this area. If you want a pristine car, don't drive it in the winter. If you want a beautiful car that will get you through most driving conditions, enjoy all winter and be prepared for some wear and tear on your car.

Couple of other points: Battery range goes down by about 20 percent. Combination of increased draw from heating system and decreased capacity of the battery in cold weather. I can get about 65 - 70 km on a charge in the summer and this drops to 45 - 50 km in the winter.

Also, the anti-slip system works really well!!!

Strobe

@Strobe Thanks for posting these. I have been getting concerned seeing -5C on the outside temp display here in Manchester, but that seems downright tropical compared to your climate. My problem is that I still have the F1 tires on my car and they don't work all that well first thing in the morning and need some time to warm up before they provide full traction.

I don't intend to drive in the snow in this configuration and will be storing the car once the snow hits. Your post calmed my concerns about doing damage to the car by driving it in cold weather. Thank you for that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts