Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right on. I only wish we could do something. But Karma owners are proud individualists and not the type to call our Representatives.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Right on. I only wish we could do something. But Karma owners are proud individualists and not the type to call our Representatives.
I think that would be a good thing to do, if nothing else to remind them that a lot of American engineers, technicians, and other hard workers labored to create this car that advanced the state of art of technology and in its short existence actually exported American cars to Europe, Middle East and Asia.

My reps are not on that committee, unfortunately. If yours is, it would be worth a try.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's an idea: If you are willing to go to Washington to represent the owners, and if there are several forum members who feel the same way, I would write a check to help underwrite the trip. I just can't fathom the idea of watching this drama unfold without having some voice in it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would like to go but don't have any more vacation days nor should abandon my 1-year old. Will discuss with the wife.

·
Early Adopter
1,255 Posts
There are 13 owners in the dc metro area, including Colin powell. So no need to incure cost, just layout what, who to contact, and I'll rally the three owners I know and have made contact with.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Your company is being torn down in congress and barely anyone plans to even lift their phone to show support. What IS important though? Trolling another EV automaker.

Hey! What's that? You tell them. They either become interested then find out the company is likely going BK or they get drawn to the Tesla store instead. Either way, I fail to see how this would accomplish anything for Fisker.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree with an outsider. I'm sure most of us can spare a few minutes for a phone call or email to the congressional committee members to show our support for Fisker. We are the only ones who can really describe the experience of owning the car, passing gas stations and never having range anxiety.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I agree ejo3rd and I'm working on those things too. Doesn't mean we shouldn't get together for mutual support and enjoyment though.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If you decide to go . . .

I would like to go but don't have any more vacation days nor should abandon my 1-year old. Will discuss with the wife.
If you and/or Fab decide to go . . . I'll contact two senior Congressional Representatives I know (Honda and Lofgren) and find out how you can get standing to testify at the hearings. Both of you know more about the situation than anyone else, and I find it hard to believe the Committee won't want to hear from individuals who have been impacted both as taxpayers and owners of a potentially-orphaned EV. Therefore you should be welcomed and not whipped like the other witnesses will be.

As a friendly witness who has the real-world perspective of the end-user, you can use your platform to say all the good things you've said here before and reach a huge audience. You would just have to be careful so as not to appear like a victim. As someone already suggested, there is help in the D.C. area from other Karma owners.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'll definitely go if Fab and I can testify. He's a lawyer and obviously more well spoken than I but we engineers need representation in congress too. I know Congressman Jerry McNerney a windmill engineer from the Stockton district too I'm gonna give him a call today too.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
This would be such a great thing for you two to do. I'll happily contribute financially to such an endeavor.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I think it would be a GREAT idea to have the Karma's lined up in front of Capitol Hill... a dozen or so would be great. I remember seeing the pic of the TX Model S owners... pretty powerful imagery.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Btw, saw this article on the hearing:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...sker-CEO-seeks-aid-to-testify-before-Congress

Thought this was interesting:

Washington — Former Fisker CEO and co-founder Henrik Fisker said he will testify before Congress and disclosed he received no severance, pension or other benefits when he left the struggling plug-in hybrid automaker last month.

In an interview late Wednesday, Fisker said he had asked for reimbursement for travel expenses after discussing the issue with a House staff member.

"If they are not going to reimburse me as guided by (a staff member), I am still planning to travel on my own expense to testify as I have nothing to hide."

Fisker told the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee that he received nothing when he left Fisker Automotive Inc.

"I do not have a job or permanent income at the moment. I left the company without any severance, benefits, or pension or any equity," Fisker told the committee in an email Wednesday.

Fisker said he has stock options that represent less than 0.7 percent of Fisker "which are not liquid and have no value."

On Friday, Anaheim, Calif.-based Fisker, which has been beset by problems and funding shortfalls, laid off 75 percent of its staff — about 160 of its employees, including its entire public relations department — as it searches for an investor or buyer and prepares for a possible bankruptcy. Several published reports said the carmaker was actively making preparations for a bankruptcy filing that could come within a week.

In 2009, Fisker won $529 million in low-cost Energy Department loans and spent $193 million, mostly to develop its Karma model. The electric car, whose fan base included singer Justin Bieber, actor Leonardo DiCaprio and former Vice President Al Gore, was designed and engineered in the United States but assembled in Finland.

The Energy Department froze the rest of the loan in 2011 amid problems at Fisker. The Energy Department would be Fisker's top creditor if the company filed for bankruptcy and would have to decide what to do with the firm.

Last month, the Energy Department disclosed it doesn't plan to award any more loans from the $25 billion auto loan program created by Congress in 2007, despite having $16.6 billion remaining and seven applications pending.

Fisker, 49, a well-regarded former BMW, Aston-Martin and Ford Motor Co. designer, founded the startup luxury firm, Fisker Coachbuild, in 2004, which eventually became Fisker Automotive in 2007, when it merged with another firm.

He resigned last month as executive chairman after stepping down as CEO in February 2012. Since then, the company has been run by former Chrysler CEO Tom LaSorda, and now Tony Posawatz, a former General Motors electric vehicle executive.

"It's probably the most difficult decision I've ever made, but you know it was a decision that was necessary as I had major disagreements with the current executive management," Fisker said in a telephone interview last month. "It would be wrong to stay."

The company has sold about 2,000 plug-in electric hybrid Fisker Karma cars that sell for around $100,000.

Last month, he turned in his company car, but didn't completely walk away from Fisker Automotive.

"I don't get a free car because I walked away," Fisker said. "I wanted to support my local dealer."

He walked into a Fisker dealership in Santa Monica, Calif., and paid full price for a blue Fisker Karma, which retails for around $102,000.

[email protected]

(202) 662-8735

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130410/AUTO01/304100473#ixzz2QAufvqKT

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Mr. Fisker goes to Washington

I'll definitely go if Fab and I can testify. He's a lawyer and obviously more well spoken than I but we engineers need representation in congress too. I know Congressman Jerry McNerney a windmill engineer from the Stockton district too I'm gonna give him a call today too.
I would be happy to go and testify if I am allowed to. Does anyone know which of these representatives is from Fisker's district in Anaheim? My rep. is Nancy Polosi, and I will contact her office but if the request is coming from a Republican, maybe the committee would take it more seriously.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I would be happy to go and testify if I am allowed to. Does anyone know which of these representatives is from Fisker's district in Anaheim? My rep. is Nancy Polosi, and I will contact her office but if the request is coming from a Republican, maybe the committee would take it more seriously.
It's Edward Royce, according to the House 'Find my rep' tool (Fisker HQ is 5515 E La Palma Ave in Anaheim). Ed is an 11-termer in the House (R)

http://royce.house.gov/biography/bio.htm

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Congress sets hearing on Fisker troubles for April 24

By David Shepardson
Detroit News Washington Bureau
2 Comments
Washington — The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee will hold a hearing April 24 on the Energy Department's decision to award $529 million in government loans to struggling plug-in hybrid startup Fisker Automotive.

Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, who chairs the Oversight Committee panel on economic growth, job creation and regulatory affairs, sent letters Tuesday seeking testimony from Fisker CEO Tony Posawatz, Fisker chief operating officer Bernhard Koehler, former Fisker chairman and CEO Henrik Fisker.

Letters also were sent to Obama administration officials, including David Frantz, the acting executive director of the Energy Department Loan Programs Office, and the former head of the $25 billion Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing Program, Lachlan Seward.

An Energy spokeswoman declined to comment Tuesday.

On Friday, Anaheim, Calif.-based Fisker, which has been beset by problems and funding shortfalls, laid off 75 percent of its staff — about 160 of its employees, including its entire public relations department — as it searches for an investor or buyer and prepares for a possible bankruptcy. Several published reports said Fisker was actively making preparations for a bankruptcy filing that could come within a week.

In 2009, Fisker won $529 million in low-cost Energy Department loans and spent $193 million, mostly to develop its Karma model. The electric car, whose fan base included singer Justin Bieber, actor Leonardo DiCaprio and former Vice President Al Gore, was designed and engineered in the United States but assembled in Finland.

The Energy Department froze the rest of the loan in 2011 amid problems at Fisker. The Energy Department would be Fisker's top creditor if the company filed for bankruptcy, and would have to decide what to do with the firm.

Last month, the Energy Department disclosed it doesn't plan to award any more loans from the $25 billion auto loan program created by Congress in 2007, despite the fact that it has $16.6 billion remaining and seven applications pending.

From The Detroit News

1 - 20 of 106 Posts