Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see anything in this forum about a short book I found on Amazon by Aaron Wood, so I thought I'd mention it here.

It's entitled "Fisker Automotive: What Went Wrong and Why" and is a very good read. The guy who wrote it, an ex-employee of Fisker, isn't very positive about the car's genesis, designers or manufacturing, but does explain the chronology of events that surrounded the company during its short life. He gives a fascinating insight into what was going on behind the scenes.

I will forgive the myriad of typographical and grammatical errors... :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well upfront on the first page there is a gaff where he says the Latigo and Tramonto were BOTH based on a BMW - Ooops the Tramonto was actually an Mercedes SL. Poor proofing and fact checking...

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
You can save a few bucks and just read this very well-documented account, unless you are reading it for the in fighting and the gossip. (Click on the picture below to go to the site):

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yep I had seen all this before and as stated the sad part was:

"That 1,200+ investors - from Pension Funds to University Endowments - will soon find their investments wiped out as Fisker Automotive, Kleiner Perkins partner Ray Lane, and Government agencies kept Fisker's troubles secret while Fisker raised even more money from new individual investors."

and the comment on the cost of the car production, but I had read it was more like $140k to produce in another source.

"Fisker Automotive will go down as the largest venture capital-backed debacle in U.S. history. The sheer scale of investment capital and government loan money - over $1.3 Billion in all – Fisker spent a stunning $660,000 for each vehicle it produced, a vehicle that had a sticker price of $100,000, and that is sold to auto dealers for an average of $70,000. Ultimately, Fisker proved to be far better at raising money than at making cars."

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
"...Fisker spent a stunning $660,000 for each vehicle it produced"
A little unfair... I am sure that number would be reduced significantly over time. I understand the Prius was loosing money on their cars for a few years, and the Cadillac ELR and Chevy Volt probably cost even more per car for their first 2000 cars.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
It's a very long and sad story and a lot of bad luck thrown in also. Hopefully we won't see a repeat of that with the new company

1 - 7 of 7 Posts