Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke with the chief Shop Foreman for Karma Automotive in Vancouver BC. I was told that they have no one trained to repair or replace individual battery modules any more. They understood from Karma senior management that they would only be replacing the whole battery packs now, even if it were determined just one module was bad. The estimated cost.....sit down now if you aren't already....$$$30,000.00!!! (I assumed Canadian dollars) plus 10 hrs shop time labour. I didnt ask the hourly shop rate, but you can guess! Might this become the new policy of a company discouraging prospective Fisker Karma buyers....What galled me was how casually he told me this, as if a 30+K bill was chump change...

I need someone on here to reassure me that aftermarket or other brand batteries (cheaper) might be employable here. Anyone?? I am very interested in this car but this could be the deal killer.....

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I just spoke with the chief Shop Foreman for Karma Automotive in Vancouver BC. I was told that they have no one trained to repair or replace individual battery modules any more. They understood from Karma senior management that they would only be replacing the whole battery packs now, even if it were determined just one module was bad. The estimated cost.....sit down now if you aren't already....$$$30,000.00!!! (I assumed Canadian dollars) plus 10 hrs shop time labour. I didnt ask the hourly shop rate, but you can guess! Might this become the new policy of a company discouraging prospective Fisker Karma buyers....What galled me was how casually he told me this, as if a 30+K bill was chump change...

I need someone on here to reassure me that aftermarket or other brand batteries (cheaper) might be employable here. Anyone?? I am very interested in this car but this could be the deal killer.....
The aftermarket solutions are still some ways off. Some of the repair centrs in the US still offer individual module replacement. If the alternative is $30K for replacing mostly good modules, it may make sense to consider shipping the car South for repair.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
There are positive and negative modules as long as you swap a positive for a positive and the same for negative it can be done it's also based on the location of the module. There is only one module that can't be swapped with the other 14 and that's module 3.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A lot of electric vehicle companies no longer allow techs to change battery modules in the HV battery. One its not very safe. But I think its more for warranty. They just swap out the pack, send the old one back to manufacturer so they can check exactly why the module failed, making sure its not something that could affect a large number of vehicles and if it is then they can begin the campaign process. If its not something big then they swap out the bad module and send the complete battery pack the next dealer that needs it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts