Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following doesn't sound so good. Does anyone have any thoughts on it?:

AutoWorldNews reports "Ray Lane, a Fisker director, told Reuters today that the company needs $150 million if it is to keep operating."

The New York Daily News (from which AutoWorldNews seems to have quoted) states:

"Fisker Automotive, the maker of the $100,000-plus Karma hybrid sports car, aims to raise about $150 million in additional funds to tide the company over until it can launch production of its second model, a key investor said."

...and then quotes Lane as saying, ""We need money on our balance sheet" to fund operating expenses, said Ray Lane, a Fisker director and a managing partner at venture firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. "And we need money to fund the development of the next car."

The New York Daily News goes on to say that Lane stated that Fisker "may go back to investors again in 2013 for more money..."

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/cash-strapped-fisker-automotive-seeks-150m-investment-finance-launch-model-article-1.1137771#ixzz24rqdYEjU

http://www.autoworldnews.com/articles/2229/20120816/fisker-karma-fires-recalls-funding-problems-and-a-new-ceo.htm

·
Registered
913 Posts
Weird Fishes said:
The following doesn't sound so good. Does anyone have any thoughts on it? [snip description of needing $150M]
That doesn't seem very bad to me, given that Fisker are just trying to replace the major portion of the DOE loan. The originally-promised loan amount was $529M, and they got less than $200M (about $193M), so they were starting with a budget hole of roughly $336M. They have raised some of it, and are down to less than half of that as the size of the hole to fill.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also assumed they were attempting to raise funds to pay back the DOE loan. The wording of the AutoWorldNews article seems so dire, though. I wish I were a multi-billionaire so I could step in and hand them a giant wad of cash to insure Fisker's survivial beyond a shadow of a doubt while hopefully making myself a bundle in the process!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Are we (Fisker owners/customers) protected in any way if Fisker goes belly up & shots down operations?
What happens to the value of our Karmas?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
My bet, you've got a very valuable car for car collectors to bid for if no more are made. Especially 25 years from now when electric is the standard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The price of the car is being raised in Massachusetts anyway by $5K. When I consider that the Aston Martin is widely considered the most attractive car, which was designed by Fisker, and this is more attractive, I really think the Fisker is under priced. Also, my Prius that I leased when it was $26K is now selling with 33K miles 3 years later at $24K. There's a strong growing demand for energy efficient vehicles.

$150 million is not so bad for a company like this. If I was more liquid I would help out myself.

Whether electric will be a standard in the future is a question. Electric has been around since cars were invented -- the battery problem still hasn't really changed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So far Fisker raised over USD 1.05bn in equity.

- With latest appointments (incl. new CEO who is the "father" of GM's Volt), best management team with relevant experience is in place. It cannot get better.

- Product (Fisker Karma) is good, hick-ups experienced is part of what has to be expected, nothing out of the ordinary.

- Company at inflection point...great dealerships around the world with a real product (Karma)...consumers are buying the product...China and Middle East will go live selling the Karma in Q4-2012.

Big boys are supporting this capital raise to get started with the mass market product (Atlantic)...have faith, no need to worry!

·
Registered
245 Posts
smoothoperator said:
Who should we contact if we wanted to invest in Fisker?
Private Message me and I can put you in touch with the private equity raisers.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems as though today's Town Hall Meeting covered the topic of financing with Fisker saying they are in another round of financing and that things look very promising. That is nice to hear!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts