Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Photos from the Fisker Automotive Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=291405&id=338910184902&ref=mf

·
Registered
784 Posts
It looks as good as ever. But I would have liked to have seen a new colour, as we have to start making choices soon at our dealer's. :) This grey scheme ('shadow') is the same one as used on the car that went on tour through the US and Canada. It is still my favourite, but I would like to see the 'earth', 'deep ocean' and 'white sand' colour schemes on a real car before making up my mind.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gear shift lever is gone on the regular production model. The design looks otherwise intact. Anyone see anything else different?

That motor takes up a lot of space under the hood. Does anyone know what the fuel tank capacity and gas mileage in non-electric only mode is?

·
Registered
59 Posts
xradman said:
That motor takes up a lot of space under the hood. Does anyone know what the fuel tank capacity and gas mileage in non-electric only mode is?
Use of the operating cost calculator on the Fisker website will reveal that they are using 25 mpg in non-electric mode. This combined with the stated 300 mile range would indicate 10 gallons of gas for 250 miles + 50 miles electric.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Karma said:
It looks as good as ever. But I would have liked to have seen a new colour, as we have to start making choices soon at our dealer's. :) This grey scheme ('shadow') is the same one as used on the car that went on tour through the US and Canada. It is still my favourite, but I would like to see the 'earth', 'deep ocean' and 'white sand' colour schemes on a real car before making up my mind.
I agree with you that it would be nice to see more real colors. Have you seen the following Karma ad (more here)? I believe this is the Earth color, although please correct me if I'm wrong:

xradman said:
Gear shift lever is gone on the regular production model. The design looks otherwise intact. Anyone see anything else different?
The gauges have also been improved; here's a close up:

More discussion on the much-improved shift lever is here:

http://fiskerbuzz.com/forums/Thread-Fisker-Karma-shifter-design-has-changed

Don A said:
Use of the operating cost calculator on the Fisker website will reveal that they are using 25 mpg in non-electric mode. This combined with the stated 300 mile range would indicate 10 gallons of gas for 250 miles + 50 miles electric.
Thank you for posting that Don. Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More information on the Karma in Paris from acclaimed automotive critic Dan Neil of the WSJ:

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2010/10/01/and-the-strangest-paint-award-goes-to-fisker/

“That paint is called Diamond Dust,” explained founder and chief executive Henrik Fisker. “It’ll be toned down a bit in production.”

Video as well:

http://online.wsj.com/video/news-hub-why-green-is-red-hot-at-paris-motor-show/2194F853-47A5-48BE-ADBA-B1A2B9430017.html

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Higher-quality images from Paris:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/01/paris-2010-first-factory-built-fisker-karma-hits-the-stage/

·
Registered
784 Posts
The foot of the side mirrors seems to have changed a bit. It's a bit bigger now and the shape has also changed somewhat. I guess the original design caused too much turbulence (noise), which ofcourse you want to avoid in a quiet, electric car.

@ Wimbledon: I hadn't noticed the earth-colour in that picture yet. Maybe I got distracted :)

@ Xradman: I read somewhere - don't remember where - that the fuel tank holds just 12 liters (which is about 3 gallons). That would be way too little if it does 25 mpg in non-electric mode. I think the 25 mpg you calculated is not correct. An Audi A6 3.2 does 25 mpg, so a 2.0 liter turbocharged engine doing low and steady rpm's - it is just charging a battery - has to do much better than that. It is more likely 50-75 mpg.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good Karma said:
I think the 25 mpg you calculated is not correct. An Audi A6 3.2 does 25 mpg, so a 2.0 liter turbocharged engine doing low and steady rpm's - it is just charging a battery - has to do much better than that. It is more likely 50-75 mpg.
I actually calculated this using Fiskers own operating cost calculator and no it is not a mistake. Their calculator shows 50 miles of electric and then 25 mpg. You can try it here for yourself.

They are using costs of $0.11/kWh for electricity and $2.81 per gallon for gas. If you enter 50 miles per day into the calculator it show an electric cost of $1.76 and a gasoline cost of $0.00 per day. Add 25 miles to the 50 for 75 miles a day and the electric cost stays the same and the gas cost goes to $2.81 per day or exactly 1 gallon for the extra 25 miles. Add another 25 miles for 100 miles and the gas cost goes to $5.62 which equal 2 gallons for the extra 50 miles.

·
Registered
784 Posts
You're right Don, the calculator indicates 25 mpg in generator-mode. My bad.

It's not a very good figure. I still doubt whether it is correct (whether the calculator is correct), since it's the same mileage you get from a much bigger gas engine doing less steady rpm's, including accelerating.

By the way, interesting to see that the car automatically switches to generator-mode (sports mode) after 80% of the battery capacity has been used ($ 1,76 divided by $ 0,11 = 16 kWh of 20 kWh available). This is probaby done to preserve battery life. That 80% is enough to get you to 50 miles.

---

I also have to correct myself on the colour: upon closer inspection it is not same colour ('shadow') as the car that went on a US-tour. I think the car in Paris is in a new colour we haven't seen before. It's more blue, so probably this is 'deep ocean'. Now we're only waiting for 'white sand' and 'earth' on a real car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dutch said:
I also have to correct myself on the colour: upon closer inspection it is not same colour ('shadow') as the car that went on a US-tour. I think the car in Paris is in a new colour we haven't seen before. It's more blue, so probably this is 'deep ocean'. Now we're only waiting for 'white sand' and 'earth' on a real car.
It says in the WSJ article that the color for the Paris Show car is "Diamond Dust." I don't think we've seen Deep Ocean yet.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Could 'Diamond Dust' perhaps be the name of the paint or painting process? I know that Fisker plans on putting small glass particles in the paint, and I guess we can see the result in the Paris show car (and the Detroit show car, which also had these sparkles). In Paris they (Valmet?) have overdone it a bit and that must be why Henrik Fisker has said it will be toned down.

Speculation, speculation, speculation :-b

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dutch said:
Could 'Diamond Dust' perhaps be the name of the paint or painting process? I know that Fisker plans on putting small glass particles in the paint, and I guess we can see the result in the Paris show car (and the Detroit show car, which also had these sparkles). In Paris they (Valmet?) have overdone it a bit and that must be why Henrik Fisker has said it will be toned down.

Yes 'Diamond Dust' is the process as described on their site here.

I would second the opinion that the color of the car shown was 'Deep Ocean'

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dutch said:

According to the order guide that was just leaked, we now know that Diamond Dust paint includes Silver Wind, Deep Ocean, and Shadow.

http://fiskerbuzz.com/forums/Thread-2011-Fisker-Karma-order-guide

1 - 17 of 17 Posts