Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted back in January about issues I had with my new Fisker, and am happy to report about some fixes that were done by the dealer for free, but I still have some questions. After waiting, not so patiently, for 5-6 weeks, the car has received a new muffler (which has helped with the awful noise I was hearing), they fixed the back door, the TPM is no longer on. However, I am noticing some things that I'd like to make sure are normal. Does anyone experience these?

1) My engine fan seems to be running ALOT when the car is off. Last night after being home about an hour, I walked out and the fan was still running. Is this normal? I don't remember this in the two weeks I had the car prior to bringing it back to the dealership, however, it was not 80 degrees then either.

2) The car still seems to be straining when accelerating. Is it just more noticeable because I drive mostly in Stealth which is so quiet? It sounds like it is trying to change gears, but doesn't.

3) Sometimes when I get to a stop light, the car sputters and is really quiet. Almost like it stalls, but it is still running. The car will literally shake and go quiet.

There may still be an issue with the battery, but these are things that I have noticed since getting the car back last week. Still love the car, and can't wait to get in it every morning!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I can help out with #1 on your list: one of the quirks of the Karma is that if you plug the car in while the fan from the A/C is running, it will just keep running forever. Hopefully this will be corrected with a new software update, which another thread gives hope for. But until then, you either need to remember to turn off the Air Conditioning when you get close to home (I never remember to), OR wait 2 minutes after you exit the car to plug it in (I spend a lot of time in the driveway holding the charger and waiting). When you hear the fan go quiet, THEN plug in the car.

The reason you are seeing this new problem is, as you guessed, due to the fact that it is 80F now, and you are probably using the A/C more than you were weeks ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2. I'm not sure about this one, Try comparing acceleration in Sport mode?
3. Mine does this too- saves energy but never fails to move forward once the light turns green.

·
Registered
913 Posts
On #3 , I assume you're either in Sport or have the gasoline engine running for whatever reason (recent fill up, occasional computer-required run, whatever). The litlte "shake" is the engine shutting off. Regular start/stop engine cars ("PZEVs") do this too, it's just that in ordinary non-Fisker-Karmas, you're so used to the car going boing boing boingly boing all the time you don't notice it :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Adding my two cents worth of experience.
1) I can turn off the AC when I stop the car before I turn it off. It has become a habit to shut the AC system off before I turn the car off. Then no fan noise and I can plug the car in when I get out.
2) If you are in sport mode, then the generator runs at its own rate and does not relate to how you accelerate. This seems odd but it is how the car works. It can give you a sense of the car not running quite right. I also drive in stealth mode almost all the time and it bugs me a little when in sport mode.
3) Again if you are in sport mode, the gas engine will turn off when you stop the car for a red light. There is a little shutter as the engine shuts off. Hit the accelerator and the car will go and the engine kicks back on. In stealth mode, no noise and no shutter.

Hope that helps and that my assumptions were correct.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Adding my two cents worth of experience.
1) I can turn off the AC when I stop the car before I turn it off. It has become a habit to shut the AC system off before I turn the car off. Then no fan noise and I can plug the car in when I get out.
2) If you are in sport mode, then the generator runs at its own rate and does not relate to how you accelerate. This seems odd but it is how the car works. It can give you a sense of the car not running quite right. I also drive in stealth mode almost all the time and it bugs me a little when in sport mode.
3) Again if you are in sport mode, the gas engine will turn off when you stop the car for a red light. There is a little shutter as the engine shuts off. Hit the accelerator and the car will go and the engine kicks back on. In stealth mode, no noise and no shutter.

Hope that helps and that my assumptions were correct.
Just want to clarify that 3 applies whether you are in Sport mode, or in Stealth Mode with battery depleted, in other words, any time the ICE is running. It's basically a Start-Stop feature that has been fairly common in conventional European cars, but not so much in the US, except in hybrids.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That is correct FAB, thanks for making that clarification.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just want to clarify that 3 applies whether you are in Sport mode, or in Stealth Mode with battery depleted, in other words, any time the ICE is running. It's basically a Start-Stop feature that has been fairly common in conventional European cars, but not so much in the US, except in hybrids.
Thank you all for your help. Sure enough, air off before I turned off the car tonight and no running fan! I do have a question though. So you can still run in Stealth Mode with battery depleted and it will pull from the gas? I still need to bring the car to Miami to Harleyguy for the battery, but when it starts it's countdown from 13 to 0 I switch to Sport. I never knew what would happen if I kept it in Stealth so I always change it over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which dealer had your car so long ?
I've PM'd you, as the dealership was kind enough to give me a loaner and fix everything but the battery. I would not trust them to work on that, and after a hard charge the modules leveled out so without test driving the 40 miles, they couldn't say that the battery still had issues. Going to be flying out of Miami in April, so I was going to try and work out a time to bring it to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts