Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use 220v charger and takes 4 hours for “50” miles. Are there any options to charge faster and software to support a 440v or other options?
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use 220v charger and takes 4 hours for “50” miles. Are there any options to charge faster and software to support a 440v or other options?
Thank you in advance
Powersource provides in a 6.6 kW charger.

·
Super Moderator
1,182 Posts
The Karma has a relatively anemic 3.3kW onboard charger. Unless you were to replace this component with something aftermarket (like the 6.6kW charger from PowerSource mentioned above) there's really not much you can do. No change to the equipment you are using outside of the car or plugging in to the car will make any difference in charging rate.

Also, the MY2012 Karmas only support A/C charging. There's no retrofit that I'm aware of that will allow for DC charging or anything that would support more than 110/220V household current.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Karma has a relatively anemic 3.3kW onboard charger. Unless you were to replace this component with something aftermarket (like the 6.6kW charger from PowerSource mentioned above) there's really not much you can do. No change to the equipment you are using outside of the car or plugging in to the car will make any difference in charging rate.

Also, the MY2012 Karmas only support A/C charging. There's no retrofit that I'm aware of that will allow for DC charging or anything that would support more than 110/220V household current.
I appreciate your fast response! Was just hopeful thinking.

·
Super Moderator
1,182 Posts
I appreciate your fast response! Was just hopeful thinking.
There is one other option: The TOM module from PowerSource. There are plenty of threads that describe it in detail, but essentially the TOM gives you options to use the onboard ICE engine to burn gasoline to charge your HV battery, and it can charge much faster than 3.3kW AC charging. Unlike Sport Mode, TOM allows you to increase the charge level of your battery, and your electric range, beyond its current level. You can charge while driving, and even charge while parked and idling, regardless of the starting state of charge of the battery (as long as it's below 90% or so), and will charge all all the way back to full. It's not the most efficient way to charge but it is probably the fastest way to refill your battery if time is your primary concern. Search these forums or contact @PowerSource to learn more about the TOM module.

·
Registered
883 Posts
There is one other option: The TOM module from PowerSource. There are plenty of threads that describe it in detail, but essentially the TOM gives you options to use the onboard ICE engine to burn gasoline to charge your HV battery, and it can charge much faster than 3.3kW AC charging. Unlike Sport Mode, TOM allows you to increase the charge level of your battery, and your electric range, beyond its current level. You can charge while driving, and even charge while parked and idling, regardless of the starting state of charge of the battery (as long as it's below 90% or so), and will charge all all the way back to full. It's not the most efficient way to charge but it is probably the fastest way to refill your battery if time is your primary concern. Search these forums or contact @PowerSource to learn more about the TOM module.
Brent opens up another idea.
TOM is able to charge the battery much faster than using the onboard charger with 240V.
For me, it adds about 1 kilometer of battery range per 2.5 kilometers drive at about 80km/h. This calculates to about 2 times faster charging.
As this is working, there must be a point to connect a charger and a state of the car to let the car use this path to charge it.
Did someone ever think about this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brent opens up another idea.
TOM is able to charge the battery much faster than using the onboard charger with 240V.
For me, it adds about 1 kilometer of battery range per 2.5 kilometers drive at about 80km/h. This calculates to about 2 times faster charging.
As this is working, there must be a point to connect a charger and a state of the car to let the car use this path to charge it.
Did someone ever think about this?
Where do I get anyone selling east install!?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Where do I get anyone selling east install!?
If you are referring to TOM installation: it is easy to do, as it is perfectly described.
If you can follow instructions, handle a soldering iron, heat shrink tubing, and insulating tape, you are fine.
At least your auto repair shop can do this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts