Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
Since it was a hot day I'm guessing you were using the air conditioning. If you shut off the car while the A/C is running the A/C fan will continue to run for a couple of minutes until the car goes to sleep. If you plug in *before* the fan shuts off and the car goes to sleep the fan will continue to run for as long as you are plugged in. Hours, potentially.

There are two ways to address this: Don't plug in until the car goes to sleep about 2 minutes after shutdown, or make sure the A/C Compressor (the snowflake) is turned off before turning off the Karma.

·
Registered
334 Posts
smggsm,

I just had this issue the other night while charging the Karma in my garage. I decided to let it charge using the slow 110V charger so I knew it would take ~ 15 hours. The fan was running in the morning and continued until I unplugged the charger. Just to be clear, I didn't plug in the charger until the car had shut down and all lights were off.

Since I don't want to put extra wear on the fan, I will start turning off the AC before shutting off the car, as LonePalmBJ suggests. Since I live in Phoenix, a hot garage in the summer at night is unavoidable, unless you have a swamp cooler or AC in the garage (and I dont).

If, after I shut off the AC, the fan continues running while charging...I will buy another 240V charger to handle the Karma. At least any fan running will be limited to ~ 5 hours at most when I charge the battery from empty using the 240V charger.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Two choices turn the AC off and make sure the engine cooling fan is shut off before you plug the charger in or .

Let the car go to sleep which means the orange light goes out in the gear selector.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Strangely what seems to be working for me that after some time of having the fan run when car is stationary and charging I unplug the charging plug. The fan stops. Then I plug it back in and the fan usually stays off. Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Strangely what seems to be working for me that after some time of having the fan run when car is stationary and charging I unplug the charging plug. The fan stops. Then I plug it back in and the fan usually stays off. Hope this helps somebody.
Yes. Total speculation here: when either fan (air conditioning, or battery-cooling-system) is on and you plug in the car, the module for controlling that fan may "go to sleep" before it's time to shut it off. Then when things have cooled down and the fan should shut off, nothing is awake to do that.

Unplug/replug wakes the modules up enough to shut them off.

(If the A/C fan is already off, and no other fan is running, you're OK, so turning off the A/C before exiting and plugging in is usually sufficient.)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The charging interrupts the signal to turn off the fan. It was supposed to be fixed in a later software update that never made it out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Turn off the a/c (snowflake) about 2 minutes before reaching home (or the charging cable). The a/c will continue to blow cold, and you won't have to wait for the fans to shut off before plugging in. Works every time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Owners Manual Excerpt about Cooling Fans

I know this topic has been discussed quite a bit, but I wanted to pass along something I read in the Owners Manual.

On page 84 (of the PDF) which is Section 6.6 of the Manual, I found this text, "Note: During charging or in high ambient temperatures, the cooling fans and coolant pumps may automatically switch on for a period of time to cool the cells in the battery. The fans and pumps may be audible when in operation. This is normal and not a cause for concern."

So if this is "normal" according to the Manual, is the software fix that Lormax referred to that never made it to production a fix to prevent the fans and pumps, if/when they turn on during charging, from running until charging ends?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I might have a new wrinkle on this. But, I'm not sure ...

It was raining yesterday (only the 2nd time I've ever had to take my Karma out in the rain), and I think I might have been in too much of a hurry to plug in at work and get out of the rain. I do have 520. But, may not have waited 45 seconds. But, instead of a fan coming on ... after charging for 3 hours when I got into the car ... I could see the ACC indicator showing and my dash was all lit up. But, I hadn't even opened the car door, yet. And, no matter what I did, I could not get the car to go fully to sleep. It would leave the dash showing, and the ACC indicator would not go away. I could get the car to start and even drive (usually like to move it to another spot when I'm fully charged), but the "ACC" (accessory mode) indicator would stay visible, and Stealth or Sport would not show. And, my "discharge/charge meter was frozen in the same place. It was if that part of the dash screen was locked and couldn't be updated. When I parked again and hit Start (to try to shut down), it would power the car down somewhat. I could get the fan & radio & ICU screen to shut down. But, the dash would never turn off, and the car would never go to sleep. I was in meetings that day, so I had to leave it that way for a while. I finally got to come back out & pop the hood and do a hard reset (at least it had quit raining by then). That fixed the problem, and the car's been fine ever since. But, I'm wondering what caused the problem in the first place. Did something just get wet? Or, is this a possible symptom of plugging in too soon. Anybody else seen anything like this?

It wound up costing me something like 8 Stealth miles worth of charge while it was sitting & messing around. I assume that was from recharging my 12 volt. But, I got home with fewer miles still on the clock than normal even though I had been fully changed when I had unplugged.

This ring any bells with anybody?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
If the VCM got wet that could happen reach up under the dash board on the drivers side see if you feel any water drops use a flashlight and look at the the VCM . The VCM is located just above where you would rest your left foot at .

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks! It was 2 days ago. Can't see or feel anything moist now. I'll definitely check it next time I do a full wash or get caught in the rain. I'm assuming that I'm supposed to be looking at the black plastic box with all the wires running to it? (What is the VCM? I know the ICU, and the HCM).

·
Registered
304 Posts
This is the part that has to end with the new Karma. I still haven't driven mine in the rain in over a year of ownership.....because I'm afraid of the water gremlins......

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is the part that has to end with the new Karma. I still haven't driven mine in the rain in over a year of ownership.....because I'm afraid of the water gremlins......
I totally agree @DHH - I had Lormax complete the water intrusion fix about 2 months after I bought the car, but it still makes me nervous to drive my Karma in the rain. The crazy thing is it doesn't rain in Phoenix often, but every time I drive it in the rain, I'm just a little nervous that I'll have a problem when I return and start the car.

I also wash my Karma by hand with waterless wash as I'm worried about drenching it. To this day, I've never had the car in for a normal "wash" because I'm a little worried about what could happen.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I know. I still have not gone through a car wash in 15 months. I'm terrified of "big" water !!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have been in extremely heavy downpours while driving the car as well as had the car sit in monsoon like rain while parked. I also go through pressurized touch-less car washes. So far, so good. The idea of owning a car is to enjoy it and to drive it. Don't be afraid of the rain...........if it suffers from water damage, so be it. You can always fix it. ****, you may drop dead tomorrow and still not driven your car in the rain? All said and done, a car is a car and it's there to be driven not to become a garage queen or just to be driven on sunny days. My suggestion gents: Drive the darn thing and enjoy it, whatever the condition. ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have been in extremely heavy downpours while driving the car as well as had the car sit in monsoon like rain while parked. I also go through pressurized touch-less car washes. So far, so good. The idea of owning a car is to enjoy it and to drive it. Don't be afraid of the rain...........if it suffers from water damage, so be it. You can always fix it. ****, you may drop dead tomorrow and still not driven your car in the rain? All said and done, a car is a car and it's there to be driven not to become a garage queen or just to be driven on sunny days. My suggestion gents: Drive the darn thing and enjoy it, whatever the condition. ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey - that's my motto exactly...but when I have to trailer it from Michigan to New Jersey because it got wet....I'll just avoid the rain......I would prefer not to enjoy being stranded in the rain....

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
I've had very few cars over the past couple years the had water ingress and it rains here all the time . I've seen more water ingress on the VCM then the CIU and bulletin has you sealing the CIU side .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts