Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Forum,
I am a happy new Fisker owner and I wanted to know how in Europe, esspecially in Switzerland with a 220v normal plug, if I need to have the wall mounted charger for the night charge.

Thanks anyways.

- - - - - - - -
Fisker Karma ES
- - - - - - - -

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Dear Forum,
I am a happy new Fisker owner and I wanted to know how in Europe, esspecially in Switzerland with a 220v normal plug, if I need to have the wall mounted charger for the night charge.

Thanks anyways.

- - - - - - - -
Fisker Karma ES
- - - - - - - -
Did your car come with a portable charger?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just use the 220 V portable charger. Works fine.

If you have the more recent 10A Version that Emil Frey ships, the charging time from empty to full will be around 10 hours.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Yes yes it has but I was wondering do I really need that wall mount as found on this forum post:

http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/24-fisker-parts-accessories/1926-lear-ev-level-2-charger-sale.html

cheers
In the US, because of our 110V household voltage, installing a 240V Level II charger significantly reduces the charging time, from 12+ hours to 5.5 hours. With 220V household voltage, the same 13A current provides much better charging times, so the difference is not as great, particularly if you generally charge at home overnight.

That said, if you still want to install a home Level II charger, the experience with the Fisker-branded ones have not been exactly stellar, and like the car, there is no warranty on these units. I would suggest getting a well-regarded brand that you can source locally and that can be easily installed and serviced if needed by local electricians.

In the US, the Clipper Creek units seem to be very popular and reliable. I am not sure what's available in Europe, but you could probably find one that is well-regarded by consumers with some research.

I bought a Blink! unit early on, which charges the car just fine, but after 13 months (i.e., just after the warranty expired) it lost all of its smart features, like programmable charging, power usage reporting, remote on/off, etc. and now just functions as a dumb charger. For this reason, I cannot recommend the Blink! unit.

Just make sure it is is compliant with SAE-J1772 Level II standard.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I bought this one
http://youtu.be/_E54Qu9P0Dw

Now, it takes just seconds to plug in and I don't have to deal with a dirty and wet 'convenient' charger...

Btw... I think axel has the same :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
I bought a Blink! unit early on, which charges the car just fine, but after 13 months (i.e., just after the warranty expired) it lost all of its smart features, like programmable charging, power usage reporting, remote on/off, etc. and now just functions as a dumb charger. For this reason, I cannot recommend the Blink! unit.

Just make sure it is is compliant with SAE-J1772 Level II standard.
I have the Fisker-branded Blink charger as well; mine has not flaked out like this. (Yet?)

Blink did, however, download "commercial charger" software into my Blink unit, which effectively bricked it, until they were eventually able to restore the private-unit software to it. So that's another possible drawback: Blink can, at any time, turn your home charger unusable. :dodgy:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Charging Systems

I bought this one
http://youtu.be/_E54Qu9P0Dw

Now, it takes just seconds to plug in and I don't have to deal with a dirty and wet 'convenient' charger...

Btw... I think axel has the same :)
Yes Stefan,

You are right and the YouTube Video was made in my home and with my Fisker Karma No. 16 of the signature series. The wall box works well and charges the battery in 5 hours - more or less -. I can recommend the wallbox.
The next project is a photovoltaic installment on the roof, storing the collected energy in a battery and use this energy, whenever you want.
Watch this: www.e3dc.com This is a very smart solution.

Axel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts