Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a wonderful day driving in Los Angeles heat, parked at home, engine stayed on a little while, then turned off. Plugged in and went back 2 hours later. Won't start. All lights come on, except engine Error symbol and won't drive or engage gears. Car feel hot, but not sure what to do. Ugh! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Depending on what software level the car is on after a error and doing a key cycle letting the car go to sleep and trying again to put in ready mode.If all else fails try a hard reset

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the hard reset and that worked. While driving, yesterday, it was 112 degrees. I felt a vibration in the steering wheel every 5 to 10 seconds. In stealth and sport mode. When I parked at home, the engine stayed on, I assume to cool down. Then 2 hrs later error message and didn't start. I waited until morning and still didn't start, so did the hard reset and worked. Is this reoccurring issue once it happens or a sign of something more serious? I appreciate your input! Thank you

·
Registered
334 Posts
@Fedkrma - out of curiosity, do you know what version of software your car is running? If your engine cooling fan "runs for a while" after you shut off the car, it kind of sounds like my Karma used to behave in Phoenix after driving in hot weather on an older version of code. That older version of code was 5.10.

There have been 3 releases of code since 5.10, and you may want to consider getting the car updated to 5.35 (the 3 releases since baseline 5.10 are 5.20, 5.30 and 5.35). 5.20 changed the behavior of the car to shut off the fan immediately upon shutting down.

Sorry if you've already done these upgrades, just wanted to throw that out there.

P.S. I'm not suggesting this will fix the problem(s) you encountered the other day, but the 3 code updates fix lots of other issues with the car (some seen, many unseen). Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the software updated, but not sure the version. I requested from my service tech to confirm. The car drove beautifully tonight. Love the car! Just pray that it stays operable. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It appears that I have the latest version of software which is 5.35.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
One way to tell if the car has 520 installed is the light that lights up the gear selector if goes out in 45 seconds you're on 520 a few minutes 510. Still sounds like a problem between the stop/start switch and the VCM.
That's fine the car isn't going into ready mode

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for your input. I appreciate it. Software is up to date. Seems to be working well now, but might have AC issue that contributed to what happened. Getting that looked at soon. Thanks again

·
Registered
888 Posts
One way to tell if the car has 520 installed is the light that lights up the gear selector if goes out in 45 seconds you're on 520 a few minutes 510.

Is this for sure?
On my car, which should be on 535, it still takes about 2 min and my CSP told me, that he double checked and that none of his own or customer cars has this fast Shutdown

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Is this for sure?
On my car, which should be on 535, it still takes about 2 min and my CSP told me, that he double checked and that none of his own or customer cars has this fast Shutdown
They never did the seperate VCM software during 520. If they were using configuration manager that flashed all the necessary modules automatically, there is an extra step to flash the VCM seperately with sw file you need to select the CAL file according to spec with or without backup camera. Have them email or call me I can walk them through it.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
They never did the seperate VCM software during 520. If they were using configuration manager that flashed all the necessary modules automatically, there is an extra step to flash the VCM seperately with sw file you need to select the CAL file according to spec with or without backup camera. Have them email or call me I can walk them through it.
What he said lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One way to tell if the car has 520 installed is the light that lights up the gear selector if goes out in 45 seconds you're on 520 a few minutes 510. Still sounds like a problem between the stop/start switch and the VCM.
That's fine the car isn't going into ready mode
Yesterday I took my car 2 miles to Starbucks. Parked. Turned off, got coffee, came back, engine Error again. Ready was flashing light green. Turned off, disconnected cable under hood near passenger side for 30 sec. Plugged back in and car started like nothing ever was wrong. Car is at mechanic to figure out and tells me could be the battery. Is that likely if battery charges to full capacity and drains with normal usage? Sounds more computer or electrical to me, but I am not a mechanic. Just curious for your thoughts. Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Yesterday I took my car 2 miles to Starbucks. Parked. Turned off, got coffee, came back, engine Error again. Ready was flashing light green. Turned off, disconnected cable under hood near passenger side for 30 sec. Plugged back in and car started like nothing ever was wrong. Car is at mechanic to figure out and tells me could be the battery. Is that likely if battery charges to full capacity and drains with normal usage? Sounds more computer or electrical to me, but I am not a mechanic. Just curious for your thoughts. Thank you very much!

I don't think it's the battery based on what you post here. Anything is possible . Now you see why doing a hard reset has it's pros and cons in order to read the codes we need the car left alone when it stops working. I also realize you need to get it back working to make it home. If the problem happens often maybe the repair shop will be able to duplicate it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much. I understand. It's at Santa Monica Hybrid and Martin seems to know the car well, so hopefully it happens while he has it for the next few days. I will let you know what happens. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
We've seen main contactors stick closed on startup with 530/535 software. No explanation or pattern as of yet. It clears with a 12v reset. My car did it and I've walked several customers through the reset as well. It doesn't seem to be persistent or reoccurring though. One of the many joyful surprises of Karma ownership ;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
I also had it several times within the last two month...

Who else?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think it's the battery based on what you post here. Anything is possible . Now you see why doing a hard reset has it's pros and cons in order to read the codes we need the car left alone when it stops working. I also realize you need to get it back working to make it home. If the problem happens often maybe the repair shop will be able to duplicate it.
This is what my mechanic came up with:

So after spending some time with your car here is my conclusion:

1.****** Problem with no start condition is related to two contactors located inside high voltage battery. Either one or both are defective, or have insulation fault.

Battery assembly has to be removed from the car then taken apart. That involves high voltage disconnection and cooling system (battery is liquid cooled)

There are different contactors installed and it is intermixed, they have to be ordered from the supplier as Karma does not sell it separate from the battery pack (my past experience).

I do not have any in stock as I used two that I had for previous Karma I worked on few months ago.

What are your thoughts? Thank you

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is what my mechanic came up with:

So after spending some time with your car here is my conclusion:

1.****** Problem with no start condition is related to two contactors located inside high voltage battery. Either one or both are defective, or have insulation fault.

Battery assembly has to be removed from the car then taken apart. That involves high voltage disconnection and cooling system (battery is liquid cooled)

There are different contactors installed and it is intermixed, they have to be ordered from the supplier as Karma does not sell it separate from the battery pack (my past experience).

I do not have any in stock as I used two that I had for previous Karma I worked on few months ago.

What are your thoughts? Thank you

This is the procedure:

We have to remove battery assembly, take it apart then determine what contactors we need to order. It takes few days to get them. Then battery has to be assembled, installed back in the car, high voltage reconnected and cooling system needs to be bleed & all systems reset. That’s about $2500 job if there is nothing else there, inside battery pack.

Ugh!

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
It's hard to say anytime Ive had a issue with the HV battery it stores a code for any contacts that are bad . When you have this start up problem do you hear the HV contacts close. Its the same sound when you plug the car in to charge that comes from underneath the car. Its also the same when you put the car into ready mode it's easier to hear when their isn't any outside noise

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's hard to say anytime Ive had a issue with the HV battery it stores a code for any contacts that are bad . When you have this start up problem do you hear the HV contacts close. Its the same sound when you plug the car in to charge that comes from underneath the car. Its also the same when you put the car into ready mode it's easier to hear when their isn't any outside noise
I am not sure. Martin, at Santa Monica Hybrid is suggesting to install Tesla contacts instead of fisker. Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts