Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought the Karma it stated 50 miles per charge, and the panel indicates this of course. My real life experience is about 75% of that. For each 7.5 miles it uses about 10 miles of battery.

Does anyone have tips or experience on things that improve the actual miles you can get? Are there ways to improve the miles actually driven versus charge?

On the Prius for example, I noticed that country driving around 40 MPH got me about 75 MPG. I've noticed on the Fisker that highway driving seems to be the worst.

I drive into the city and it's 20 miles each way. Basically there is not enough battery to do the total 40 mile trip. It would be nice if there was. :)

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
TexasDavid said:
When I bought the Karma it stated 50 miles per charge, and the panel indicates this of course. My real life experience is about 75% of that. For each 7.5 miles it uses about 10 miles of battery.

Does anyone have tips or experience on things that improve the actual miles you can get? Are there ways to improve the miles actually driven versus charge?

On the Prius for example, I noticed that country driving around 40 MPH got me about 75 MPG. I've noticed on the Fisker that highway driving seems to be the worst.

I drive into the city and it's 20 miles each way. Basically there is not enough battery to do the total 40 mile trip. It would be nice if there was. :)
It is actually possible to squeeze 45 miles out of the battery in highway driving, but requires some serious patience. See this post.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I get almost 1:1 battery miles to actual miles if I turn the climate control off, drive at a fairly slow steady speed on relatively flat road (like my rush hour freeway) and the ambiant temperature is mild.

When I drive more normally, I get about 75% of the stated mileage just like you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Similar here. In 6k+ miles with a 46-56 mile commute, mostly fwy, I am very reliably getting 38 to 42 miles on a charge. Speed does kill! In raffic staying below 60 MPH gets the high side. Consistent over 70 the low. Easy, flat stop and go with Max regen stretches it too, as aerodynamic losses are not recovered.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Exact same thing here.

EVer1 said:
I get almost 1:1 battery miles to actual miles if I turn the climate control off, drive at a fairly slow steady speed on relatively flat road (like my rush hour freeway) and the ambiant temperature is mild.

When I drive more normally, I get about 75% of the stated mileage just like you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After 6K miles I have gotten the best results by staying out of hill mode, avoiding "punching" the excel. unless absolutely and most importantly, being conscious of not "rushing" to red lights. The more you can keep the car in motion the more miles you will get per charge. I did not buy the car to drive like a wimp and I don't I just "think" about what I am doing more then I did with my 15mpg BMW M6.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Today in stealth I got about 41.2 miles from full charge to empty, with some uphill driving.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Michael said:
i drive a lot in the city with hill 2 for red signals, is this not good?
There's nothing wrong with using Hill mode, but it's exactly the same as pressing the brake just hard enough to get the same deceleration (except that the brake lights don't go on with Hill). When you brake, you recover some energy, but you don't recover as much as you will need to get back up to speed. So you'll get more mileage if you just go straight through the red lights, unless of course you crash as a result. :D (More seriously, if you can slow down a bit early and therefore not have to stop, that will save some energy.)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I noticed that I use more energy when in Hill mode because it slows the car down often when I do not really need to slow down that much. Therefore I am wasting energy. Letting the accelerator go is enough in many cases. I only use Hill mode when I want to come to a complete stop. Keeps the break-pad dust off the wheels.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've had the new battery installed recently and I have noticed an improvement.

Today I got 44 miles while driving on the highway at an average speed of 68 mph (110 km/h). It was the first time I made it from work to home on battery alone! The weather helped: no wind, 70 degrees fahrenheit (21 degrees celcius) and the heating/cooling off (I didn't need it).

This morning I reached 36 miles while going in the opposite direction, but it was colder (50 degrees fahrenheit, 10 degrees celcius), there was some headwind and the heating was on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
flying dutchman said:
I noticed that I use more energy when in Hill mode because it slows the car down often when I do not really need to slow down that much. Therefore I am wasting energy. Letting the accelerator go is enough in many cases. I only use Hill mode when I want to come to a complete stop. Keeps the break-pad dust off the wheels.
There is no question that from my experience I do not get as good a mileage result in hill mode. The ultimate goal is to loose as little forward motion as possible all the time. I agree, there are many times where just backing off the accelerator is enough and no breaking is necessary or very little breaking. I used hill mode for a wile and am convinced I am getting better mileage results without it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Mike said:
flying dutchman said:
I noticed that I use more energy when in Hill mode because it slows the car down often when I do not really need to slow down that much. ...
There is no question that from my experience I do not get as good a mileage result in hill mode. The ultimate goal is to lose as little forward motion as possible all the time. I agree, there are many times where just backing off the accelerator is enough and no braking is necessary or very little braking. I used hill mode for a while and am convinced I am getting better mileage results without it.
You have to keep the accelerator depressed somewhat in Hill modes to avoid using regen-braking. As it turns out, though, you have to keep it slightly depressed even in ordinary Stealth mode—you can see this by the Generate/Accelerate display moving slightly into "Generate", and on the System > Energy-Flow page.

Of course, it's difficult enough to keep your foot right at the "no braking effect" level in regular Stealth, and even harder in either of the Hill modes. So, yes, unless you're pretty good with your feet, you will probably do better in regular Stealth mode.

Again, the point of Hill is purely convenience. Use it when it's convenient, not to try to save energy or whatever, because it doesn't do that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Since most of people on this board also own high performance sports cars, it must be quite painful to adjust the driving habits to squeeze every possible charged particle out of battery. I would much prefer to have bigger capacity battery for the same weight, at least 100 miles range. I think that all of us have the same range anxiety as people with pure electric cars, only that our anxiety is transformed into sound torture of 4 cylinder engine. If iApple can extend the battery life of their toys, so should Fisker :)

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
It actually becomes a game for me. But, I do agree that a 100 mile battery is something we will be able to buy and upgrade to in a few years. And, as a deposit holder since January 08 and owner since December 22nd, 2011, 5 years does go by pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Antonin said:
Since most of people on this board also own high performance sports cars, it must be quite painful to adjust the driving habits to squeeze every possible charged particle out of battery. I would much prefer to have bigger capacity battery for the same weight, at least 100 miles range. I think that all of us have the same range anxiety as people with pure electric cars, only that our anxiety is transformed into sound torture of 4 cylinder engine. If iApple can extend the battery life of their toys, so should Fisker :)
I think it is a bit more complex than that. For daily driving, most of the performance available in a performance car goes unused. Most of my daily commute is on a multi-lane highway where most cars are driven well in excess of the posted speed limit, and yet, I find that even if I had a Veyron, I would not be able to go much faster than I go in a Fisker just because of traffic and enthusiastic enforcement by the California Highway's finest.

That said, there is a widespread belief among the owners that the Karma is capable of far greater performance but for the extremely conservative limits imposed on the motors and the inverters by the control software, primarily to maximize range and to minimize emissions. There is even a rumor that engineering test software exists that allows the Karma to go from 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds, but this is a bit like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster in that the folks who claim to have seen this first hand are often less than credible.

The hyper miling game is fun and could become a bit obsessive, but for most daily situations, IMHO, the Karma has enough power to satisfy and titillate but I would not take one to a track day or a drag strip.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I agree - and in fairness, if we do get a 60kwh battery that fits into the same space as our current A123 20kwh battery (and the same weight), unless we upgrade our onboard charging unit, it would take 20 hours or so to charge the car!

I for one am hoping that Fisker gives us a little more power in a future software upgrade (maybe for mid-speed passing on the freeway), same performance in Stealth as in Sport (remember A123 chemistry allows for peak power disrcharge of 50C which is 1,300hp!)and an upgrade option to at least a 40kwh battery with a 10kw onboard charger.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It is almost a pitty to drive such a gorgeous car in hypermiling mode - if that was the purpose, the Volt / Prius are probably better tools. I think most Karma owners enjoy the looks more than the fuel efficiency.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Fabulist said:
I think it is a bit more complex than that.
Agreed.

svp6 said:
It is almost a pitty to drive such a gorgeous car in hypermiling mode - if that was the purpose, the Volt / Prius are probably better tools. I think most Karma owners enjoy the looks more than the fuel efficiency.
I bought the car because of it's looks (and driving pleasure) but looked at it becuase it is electric.

·
Registered
87 Posts
SoCalGuy said:
I for one am hoping that Fisker gives us a little more power in a future software upgrade (maybe for mid-speed passing on the freeway), same performance in Stealth as in Sport (remember A123 chemistry allows for peak power disrcharge of 50C which is 1,300hp!)and an upgrade option to at least a 40kwh battery with a 10kw onboard charger.
This would be a great improvment. Driving this car for 5k miles I also think upgrading the onboard charger first and then later the battery will help this car a lot!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts