Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the team has had a lot of seat time behind our Karma mules and would like to now allow current owners the same benefit. Right now all of our vehicles have made their way back to California to test the final revision of software.

Our cross-country trip; that many of you have been following has just allowed our feature-set to get better overtime, and the software has matured significantly since its first iteration. It is such a joy to be able to drive a vehicle cross country that possesses the chassis necessary to aggressively take a curve but also the ability to rebuild its inner core (aka full energy from the pack and be able to repeat this functionality). Previously the Karma was forced to be in a neutered state if a trip of longer than ~24 miles was planned collectively. We are happy that this issue has been solved and that mileage hold and rebuild are reality. An owner can now enjoy full performance all the time!

At this point, we are confident enough (for the user base that is interested in procuring our module) to propose or even drive (if you are in Southern California) feature upgrades or calibration changes.

We have been in beta for a few weeks now and the original beta group is very satisfied with the calibrations so we would now like to find out from the user-base if we are missing something. In the past 10 days we have had no feature request or calibration change updates and this was a very vocal group about 12 days ago :s, specifying every little detail

This is your module as an owner and has the features you want. It is just amazing and we pinch ourselves everyday that the functionality and the calibration parameters of this vehicle are basically crowd-sourced on a daily (almost hourly basis).

Anyways that's where we are at PM or email me @ [email protected] if you would like to experience the real unleashed version of Karma!

·
Registered
68 Posts
How about Europe

Is there a future possibility to have this installed for us Fisker drivers in Europe (Belgium)?
I am ( I think like many others) very interested in this software...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I as well! From Houston, TX... Is your website launching in 73 days and counting? I would like to see the full specs. Will this eventually be a self-install?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I as well! From Houston, TX... Is your website launching in 73 days and counting? I would like to see the full specs. Will this eventually be a self-install?
as it is a hardware solution, to be wired between modules, a self-install procedure seems preety hard, but I think, they are working in it :angel:

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes should be around that time when we have our TOM (Transportation Optimization Module) available to all owners. People have asked for us to name the module so we came up with the name TOM.

Right now we are dealing with a backlog of orders for the early adopter TOM and for those who are part of the beta program. We are hand building these TOM's + harnesses currently and are sold out. The next batch build will be the general serial production TOM's which we will market on our website.

We will go into serial production soon but want to get potential GP buyers some seat time first.

Self-install is being contemplated but we would prefer to have our traveling engineers install them them so TBD.

Julian

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Pigman68

Cost will be $2995 for the unit. We are working on a self install solution and will provide the details once available. Thanks Julian

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes will have a few videos later this week hopefully. Been working on a few other projects but will send out an email blast soon and update on this forum as well. Also working on the website which is on target for a Dec launch. We have been swamped with OEM work which will come to a close soon and we can re-focus on Karma. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Power source I.have questions about
Charging on fly.

. How much time /miles need to fully charge from 0 to 50 ml? And how long the gas tank will last. will I
mpg stay same?

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Power source I.have questions about
Charging on fly.

. How much time /miles need to fully charge from 0 to 50 ml? And how long the gas tank will last. will I
mpg stay same?
Depends on several factors but will try to answer generically. The most efficient way to bank miles on the fly is using cruise control on the freeway at constant speed. I was seeing 18-25mpg combined in pure COF mode depending on the terrain, traffic, gas etc. Combined I saw 30's (I usually ran the vehicle in Sport mode at High SOC to take advantage of the performance boost and rebuilt when I felt a lull in performance or just for the heck of it).

If you are on an open stretch of road with minimal traffic you could bank 1 mile for every 2 driven (although I have seen 1:1 in nowhere,TX). We only charge up to 45 miles, but you could use ER mode at 50 EV miles and hold SOC to 45 miles without needing to rebuild.

Disclaimer: I have a lead foot!

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the compliment. There has been much discussion about hardened splines on this and many other forums and the issue is actually much more than having "hardened splines" and correlation to failure. The splines in the Karma have huge variations in fit tolerance to the differential; I assume this is due to different manufacturers producing these splines using different process' in China, where the motors are built.

Root cause of failure may not be having hardened splines or not but rather heat treatment (i.e. Carbonitriding), spline fit, grease migration (Model S has this same problem) and probably several that I am forgetting. There are several improvements that go beyond hardened spine material (I believe a 20Cr alloy). Hard splines is just a single improvement of many that may limit catastrophic RDM failure.

·
Registered
282 Posts
There you go again. I am just about to have Joe do my upgrade on the splines and you give me another sleepless night. Just so love this adventure particularly because of my extended community. Thanks for sure!

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There you go again. I am just about to have Joe do my upgrade on the splines and you give me another sleepless night. Just so love this adventure particularly because of my extended community. Thanks for sure!

Have Joe rebuild your motors, The shafts he sources from a third party are much higher quality and better fitting than what comes on a stock JJE motor. Sleep well.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Depends on several factors but will try to answer generically. The most efficient way to bank miles on the fly is using cruise control on the freeway at constant speed. I was seeing 18-25mpg combined in pure COF mode depending on the terrain, traffic, gas etc. Combined I saw 30's (I usually ran the vehicle in Sport mode at High SOC to take advantage of the performance boost and rebuilt when I felt a lull in performance or just for the heck of it).

If you are on an open stretch of road with minimal traffic you could bank 1 mile for every 2 driven (although I have seen 1:1 in nowhere,TX). We only charge up to 45 miles, but you could use ER mode at 50 EV miles and hold SOC to 45 miles without needing to rebuild.

Disclaimer: I have a lead foot!
Thank you for reply..
So if you drive 100 (mile no stop no traffic) cruise control 65 mph from 0 battery , how many miles you will build up, 45 mile?

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for reply..
So if you drive 100 (mile no stop no traffic) cruise control 65 mph from 0 battery , how many miles you will build up, 45 mile?
That is fair. A better way to look at this is in energy stored KWh (time). Karma has ~18 KWh usable, we are only doing 45 miles so closer to ~16KWh. Charge rate for COF varies 8-25KW. So if you drove with an extremely heavy foot it would take 2 hours and you would have a close to 45 miles. Best case would be around 45 minutes or so (close to the drive cycle scenario you posted).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts