Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the big rules I have seen written by many owners is to always wait 45 seconds for the car to go to sleep (PNRD lights out). Well, do you guys all have early build VINs?

What I can tell you with my #2655 late VIN is don't do it!

Everytime I plug in my car when it is not in sleep, (PNRD lights on and the cabin lights are on too) 100% of the time the car charges with no issue. Plug it in and I hear the click of the car, which tells me it is charging.

Anytime I wait for the car to go to sleep I would say 50% of the time it will not click on the first plug connection. I will have to unplug it, wait a second or two, and then plug it back in for the click. Hopefully, I notice if it clicks...cuz I have come out the next morning to 0 EV miles when I expected 50. I was not happy.

I don't wait, I plug it in, it works everytime. :fisker:

What say you?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I feel sorry.
I don't care about PRND status and haven't had any issues with charging since I upgraded to 520
Same with 535... all fine.

Vin 730

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
One of the big rules I have seen written by many owners is to always wait 45 seconds for the car to go to sleep (PNRD lights out). Well, do you guys all have early build VINs?

What I can tell you with my #2655 late VIN is don't do it!

Everytime I plug in my car when it is not in sleep, (PNRD lights on and the cabin lights are on too) 100% of the time the car charges with no issue. Plug it in and I hear the click of the car, which tells me it is charging.

Anytime I wait for the car to go to sleep I would say 50% of the time it will not click on the first plug connection. I will have to unplug it, wait a second or two, and then plug it back in for the click. Hopefully, I notice if it clicks...cuz I have come out the next morning to 0 EV miles when I expected 50. I was not happy.

I don't wait, I plug it in, it works everytime. :fisker:

What say you?
@jomak,

The practice of waiting for the car to go to sleep before plugging in the charging cable dates back to a much earlier rev of the software (BL628, IIRC, also, no, the rev. numbers are not necessarily sequential) and was only recommended when the car's cooling fans were running when the car was shut off. In that situation, plugging in the car with the cooling fans running caused the fans to run continuously and would prevent the car from charging. Here is one of the many threads discussing this issue.

Since, BL520, however, there is no need to wait because the fans will shut off with the car plugged in. But some folks, myself included, still follow this practice out of habit.

I generally don't bother at home because my charger does not turn on the juice until midnight anyway, and usually by then the car has cooled down and the fans have turned off. But when I park in a public charger and the fans are running, I wait for them to stop before plugging my car in, and it works 100% of the time for me both ways.

I suspect that the problem you are having is a bad contact or resistor that is off-spec in the charging handle and is not directly related to the Karma being asleep. But if you have 520 or later, there is no need to wait, and even with the older software, waiting was only recommended if the cooling fans were running after you shut off your car, there is no reason to wait for the car to go to sleep any more.

·
Registered
829 Posts
In the winter when my cooling fans aren't running after I shut off, I haven't had a problem if I don't wait. But, if my fan is on, one time since 520 (not sure about since 535) it stayed on until I unplugged and re-plugged. So, in the summer, I wait until shutdown. But supposedly the problem is "fixed".

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
I Shut these off with TOM and run the HVAC when the temp hits a certain interior threshold. The Karma supplier software is utter crap YMMV

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
My car is VIN 1299 and I have owned it since new. I ALWAYS wait for the PRNDL lights to go off before plugging it in. Before I did this, I had lots of software problems. After doing this, absolutely no software problems whatsoever in 4 years. But....I stored the car somewhere else recently and they did not wait to do this and I then had to do a hard reset.

The 45 second wait is not an major inconvenience so I would rather be on the safe side, so I have waited and will continue to wait.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts