Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
brands new diff replaced last year with csp funds all rework done by fisker , start getting loud whining noise
what cause it ? will using heavier oil like 80 w 140 mobileone reduce the noise?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Not likely. If it is loud on deceleration then it is likely a pinion issue. Depending on exactly when it was done it may not have the latest pinion rework done. What was the date and where was it done?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not likely. If it is loud on deceleration then it is likely a pinion issue. Depending on exactly when it was done it may not have the latest pinion rework done. What was the date and where was it done?
November 2014 , brand new differential according to elite motors the rework update cclip etc.. all done by fisker

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
The clip might of been replaced but the pinion rework might of not be done or done correctly. I'm not even sure at that time Nov 2014 the rework of the pinion was being done. If you just started hearing the whine on decel and didn't have the noise back when the RDM was replaced the pinion nut is coming loose. .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So fisker sold me diffrential need pinion reworked! I remember they said all rework done..
Can it be fixed or need new diffrential?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The clip might of been replaced but the pinion rework might of not be done or done correctly. I'm not even sure at that time Nov 2014 the rework of the pinion was being done. If you just started hearing the whine on decel and didn't have the noise back when the RDM was replaced the pinion nut is coming loose. .
Could you explain the piniom rework? It this crushing the nut? Or something else

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Removing the pinion nut using a shim and retorquing the nut in the real world you replace the pinion crush sleeve setting the torque as you measure the force to spin the pinion. Fisker doesn't have new crush collars . Joe is the expert in the process of reworking the RDM. I actually send my customers to his shop to have the rework done of the traction motors and RDM .
I just don't have the time to do rebuilds.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
I doubt it's any bearing noise even if it was bearing noise the RDM would need to be replaced since bearings aren't available.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all for your help, i confirmed with elite motor that Fisker did the rework ( replace cclip and crush the nut re torque pinion)
that when the fisker trained alex how to do the rework.. the question whether done properly by fisker , i dont know
alex dropped the rdm and he didn't see physical damage in differential the nut still intact did not move pinion not loose ... cleaned it put it back
noise still there ( loud between 40 - 50 mph ) on acceleration but more on de acceleration ..

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
When it comes to the RDM or any cars differential to tight of pinion nut is just as bad as a loose one. I feel the only real way to properly rework the RDM it should of gone back to Tremec and have it rebuilt by them .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When it comes to the RDM or any cars differential to tight of pinion nut is just as bad as a loose one. I feel the only real way to properly rework the RDM it should of gone back to Tremec and have it rebuilt by them .
how do you usually do it for you customers? , i assume fisker has the torque specs so they torque it to the right setting ..

what worse could happen , if i can live with the noise?:)
i drove the car over 600 mile highway speed 75 mph for hours ..

·
Registered
61 Posts
how do you usually do it for you customers? , i assume fisker has the torque specs so they torque it to the right setting ..

what worse could happen , if i can live with the noise?:)
i drove the car over 600 mile highway speed 75 mph for hours ..
When I spoke to my CSP about this issue, they claimed that it would lead to a catastrophic failure. The RDM would eat itself up over time and that none of the parts could be used as rebuild able cores. Very $$$$$ if not caught in time. The whole RDM needs to be taken apart and redone to fix properly.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I am able to outsource all of the bearings in the RDM as well as the motors forward and aft. Pinion bearings and races we have Timken in stock as well as motor bearings. They aren't cheap but a heck of alot cheaper than the new RDM. We replace all Traction motor bearings during rebuild and any time a pinion nut has loosened it gets new pinion bearings and races as they often discolor (a sign of heat).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am able to outsource all of the bearings in the RDM as well as the motors forward and aft. Pinion bearings and races we have Timken in stock as well as motor bearings. They aren't cheap but a heck of alot cheaper than the new RDM. We replace all Traction motor bearings during rebuild and any time a pinion nut has loosened it gets new pinion bearings and races as they often discolor (a sign of heat).
is this differential reparable? , giving the fact was opened again by csp where csp didn't find any thing wrong where he can see, so it could be bearing?
how much are they ?how many they are?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The bearings are expensive, pinion bearings are over $200 those are the only ones I have replaced, besides traction motor bearings. The carrier bearings I haven't run into any failures yet. But being that your noise is specific to a certain speed range it sounds like a gear issue and the ring and pinion gear are not available seperately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please help me with a differential scheme. I have the same problem with the noise but now as I speed it gives me a mistake limp failure. sorry for my English

1 - 18 of 18 Posts