Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some input on this . I just finished getting an older Net Book I had updated with Windows 7 and installed Fisker work shop tool called Prodis . Prodis program is what we use at the dealership in order to update software and check for fault codes .

What i was thinking about doing since is very light and has a 10" screen was working out some sort of a loaner program where I would send the lap top and the WDI tool to a customer who needs to check for fault codes and or software and do a remote takeover on the lap top when it arrives at the location .

Here's the problem the Net-Book cost isn't the concern it's the WDI tool the WDI is what gets plugged into the OBDII connector .The tool cost me $4000.00 and are no longer made. So I need to come up with a way for a deposit if it goes missing . I still need to get part of the system up and running but I figured I would start a post and get opinions if I should continue with this project.

Any opinions positive or negative are welcomed .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Harleyguy -

I run several businesses which require the scenario (but on the medical side) . My recommendation would be to talk to your credit card processor about doing what a hotel or what we do in the business, place a hold on the full amount of this tool on the Credit card of the consumer should it go missing.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If this is your only WDI tool and it's no longer available could you bear to part with it forever?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree with both posts. Deposit in full amount of device. And make sure it is not your only device.

Too bad their is not a way to use the internet to see the computer that is plugged into the car and run your diagnostics remotely - there may be a way via log me in or something similar.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I re-read your idea - and I missed a few things while putting my kids to bed. I think a deposit in the full replacement cost is really the only issue I see.

I remember when I used to travel to the middle of nowhere and satellite phones were very expensive I used to rent one and a deposit for the full value was required.

Either way it is a business model which has to offer you a return worth your efforts and you must decide that.

DH

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dhh just gave me a thought , yes you can use it remotely using VPN and that's easy to do , pm me I can help you walk through this .

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dhh just gave me a thought , yes you can use it remotely using VPN and that's easy to do , pm me I can help you walk through this .
Thank you for the offer I all ready use Team Viewer almost every other day fast and free .

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
@Harleyguy, I think your real problem with the WDI tool is the fact that it is irreplaceable (or did I misunderstand that?). Even if you get a full value $4000 deposit, if the tool goes missing, can you buy another one with the deposit? If, unlike satellite phones for example, there are no WDI tools available for purchase, the $4K deposit may not be of much use.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point Fab but I'm pretty confident it won't go missing but you never know . When I get everything up and running I will make some sort of decision . Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds fantastic for us in remote places. But surely some clever person must know how to connect the OBDII connector in the car to the Internet?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thats not so easy. There are several terminals in a cars DLC (data link connector)You can connect anything to the generic pin, I believe pin 7 will communicate Engine management data using a universal protocol that all scan tools can understand.thus the $20 generic code reader that will work on any car. All cars will allow these generic codes to be read by the same terminal. Also there is a power and grou d that are standard to power up the scan tools. Thats where the standardization ends. All the other pins are manufacturer specifc which means they can do whatever they want with them. So in Fiskers case they have 4 different networks in the car each allowing for communication on a different terminal and without going too deep, the data being transmitted can only be deciphered with our wdi then translated into a recognizable binary code that the scan tool software can read. All of which is why its worth that kinda money.

·
Early Adopter
1,255 Posts
Sounds fantastic for us in remote places. But surely some clever person must know how to connect the OBDII connector in the car to the Internet?
possible ? here is something interesting to consider

http://www.sciencedomain.org/download.php?f=Mandhyan212013AIR6304_1.pdf

and use something like an enet connection like this one capture the data packets.
http://www.obddiagnosticcenter.com/...obd2-cable-for-coding-programming-p-2186.html

the question of course is routing DMZ port to the obd2 via the enet cable and allowing someone to address the router switch on the internet WAN port.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Harleyguy,
I'm not sure I understand the reason you say your wireless diagnostic interface (WDI) is no longer made or that the cost of updating to the present technology for these devices would be prohibitive. DSA has backward compatible devices which are all based on the Fisker ODB2 connection and diagnostic software. See:
http://www.dsa.de/en/solutions/products/wireless-diagnostic-interface-wdi/

They also support a system of remote access just as you describe called ProDis Share for diagnostic support.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts