Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw yesterday that Fisker hired an ex-Ford exec to become its new CFO. With LaSorda, Beattie, Yost, Horvat, Eulberg, et al, that's quite a crew of former Detroit/auto execs. When I compare it to Tesla's senior management, the difference is striking. There are a couple of Daimler/Toyota guys there, but many come from startups, Google, Apple, Sony and other Silicon Valley shops. I think that's what drives the biggest differences in customer experience/communication - two completely different cultures at the top: Detroit vs. Silicon Valley.

Curious what the rest of you think. I was hoping we'd see more dot-com entreprenurial talent come into the ranks at Fisker.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I have now posted the full press release on our front page:

http://fiskerbuzz.com/2012/07/fisker-appoints-jim-yost-as-chief-financial-officer.html

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
SoCalGuy said:
Saw yesterday that Fisker hired an ex-Ford exec to become its new CFO. With LaSorda, Beattie, Yost, Horvat, Eulberg, et al, that's quite a crew of former Detroit/auto execs. When I compare it to Tesla's senior management, the difference is striking. There are a couple of Daimler/Toyota guys there, but many come from startups, Google, Apple, Sony and other Silicon Valley shops. I think that's what drives the biggest differences in customer experience/communication - two completely different cultures at the top: Detroit vs. Silicon Valley.

Curious what the rest of you think. I was hoping we'd see more dot-com entreprenurial talent come into the ranks at Fisker.
Eulberg was quietly given the ax a couple of months ago. I saw DaMour make one presentation and he was not impressive. Yost has a lot more experience and is LaSorda's guy.

Let's face it, Fisker is an automobile manufacturer based in Southern California, not Silicon Valley, following the traditional model of franchised dealerships and outsourced supply of components. Tesla is a Silicon Valley company trying to break all of the rules associated with traditional car manufacturers - owning its own stores, bending its own aluminum, making its own batteries, etc. They are different companies, and the corporate strategies and people hired reflect the personalities of the people at the top. My take is that Tom LaSorda and Elon Musk are both very good CEO's - just different. So while we might wish for Fisker to become more dotcom-like, it is not in the genetic makeup. That doesn't mean however that Fisker can't be a great company, and it appears they are putting in leadership for the long term.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dennis said:
SoCalGuy said:

Eulberg was quietly given the ax a couple of months ago. I saw DaMour make one presentation and he was not impressive. Yost has a lot more experience and is LaSorda's guy.

Let's face it, Fisker is an automobile manufacturer based in Southern California, not Silicon Valley, following the traditional model of franchised dealerships and outsourced supply of components. Tesla is a Silicon Valley company trying to break all of the rules associated with traditional car manufacturers - owning its own stores, bending its own aluminum, making its own batteries, etc. They are different companies, and the corporate strategies and people hired reflect the personalities of the people at the top. My take is that Tom LaSorda and Elon Musk are both very good CEO's - just different. So while we might wish for Fisker to become more dotcom-like, it is not in the genetic makeup. That doesn't mean however that Fisker can't be a great company, and it appears they are putting in leadership for the long term.
Agree - hadn't heard about Marti, but it all makes sense. At base, Fisker just needs to be more nimble and responsive (e.g. like Tesla's handling of the 'opportunity console' in response to customer complaints about insufficient storage). That is ultimately the main competitive advantage of a startup vs. the established behemoths.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
SoCalGuy said:
Agree - hadn't heard about Marti, but it all makes sense. At base, Fisker just needs to be more nimble and responsive (e.g. like Tesla's handling of the 'opportunity console' in response to customer complaints about insufficient storage). That is ultimately the main competitive advantage of a startup vs. the established behemoths.
I am a little confused as your statement makes no sense. I assume you are referring to Fisker as a startup and Tesla as an established behemoth?

Tesla is a startup car company with their first real production car.

SoCalGuy: your negativity all the time is awesome.

·
Registered
854 Posts
MyColorIsGreen said:
SoCalGuy said:
I am a little confused as your statement makes no sense. I assume you are referring to Fisker as a startup and Tesla as an established behemoth?
No, he's calling Tesla a nimble startup. He's calling Fisker a startup too, but with more of a Detroit culture which may be a disadvantage.

·
Registered
457 Posts
MyColorIsGreen said:
SoCalGuy said:

I took his comment to mean fisker should be nimble like tesla and avoid being slow and plodding like the big guys. As for negativity, over on TMC I frequently see SoCalGuy offering level-headed and objective opinions (both good and bad) about both companies. Always a welcome asset in any discussion.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MyColorIsGreen said:
SoCalGuy said:

I think you misunderstood - my point is that startups' main advantage is their nimblenss (is that a word?) and ability to adapt quickly vs the large cap established guys that are well financed and have droves of resources and people at their disposal but are slow to act. Fisker and Tesla are startups that don't have the resources of Ford, GM et al. So to compensate, they should be more quick on their proverbial feet. This thread took notice of the differing composition of Tesla vis a vis Fisker - the former had more Sil Val types while the latter has more Big Auto folks.

PS - I've made nearly 1,000 posts and I tend to think I'm fairly balanced in my commentary - I'm neither a blinded cheerleader for Fisker nor am I Fisker's biggest critic. I am simply a Karma owner who knows Fisker has a ton of potential and in order for them to be successful, needs to learn from their blunders and adapt - quickly.

·
Registered
223 Posts
SoCalGuy is a very reasonable and level contributor IMO. I've enjoyed and benefited from his posts, and he is an asset to this community. Helping Fisker and helping us enjoy our cars, the two presumed goals of this forum, are best achieved when we point out both what's great and what's not so great-- what Fisker does brilliantly and what they do poorly. SoCalGuy is one of several on this forum who embrace that philosophy, from what I've read.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts