Fisker Buzz Forums banner

Delivery experience- what a let down!

10K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  Fabulist 
#1 ·
[/i][/b]
Out of curiosity, how has everyone's delivery process been? I'm not talking about the delays but the actual pick up/delivery.
I have to say that despite my dealer's overall excellent responsiveness the delivery was very anti-climactic- a big let down !
There I was, three years plus of waiting, eager for something very memorable and special. What did I get? Here is your car and keys- Good buy and thank you for the check.
Forget about the Brand pride, all I left with was a lame key chain ( identical to my wife's Lexus key chain only with poor quality Fisker stamp). The stamp has since rubbed off and the key chain broke!
I expected a "mini celebration" - 1st Fisker ever sold at the dealership/the only Signature Edition to ever be sold at that particular dealership- nothing!
Not even a lousy polo shirt, forget the "bubbly" or a picture for the dealership to commemorate the 1st sale. I have gotten a thousandfold more memorable experiences picking up run of the mill Lexus, Audi or BMW.
My next day "Customer satisfaction" email congratulated me on my purchase of Land Rover "Karma" (the dealer hasn't yet even broken ground on the dedicated Fisker showroom and is a Land Rover dealer).
Despite how much I love the car, I'm still sour about that experience over 3 weeks later and had to vent out and ask if it is only unique to me or if Fisker has no idea as to how create brand loyalty and this is everyone else's experience too?

See less See more
#2 ·
My dealer delivered 4 cars the day I got mine, I was the 4th. He spent an hour with me walking me through the car and command center. No photos or keychains, but I felt some personal attention. The true test, in my mind, is if he actions all the issues I have been reporting, including some non- SW issues that need addressing.

#3 ·
No doubt, he spent the time acquainting me with car. That has happened with any car I ever bought.
However, when getting something as unique and groundbreaking I expected the treatment to be accordingly as unique. Fisker has an amazing marketing campaign that will get you in the showroom (that's if they have one :) but returning to it will take creating amazing customer experience from the get-go and subsequent driving experience and service. They didn't get me from returning to Yugo dealership.
I've enjoyed fine cars and expected not a step down from Lexus or BMW but several steps up - particularly considering how few of us they have had a chance to service and woo.

#4 ·
Urojet, sorry to hear about your experience. To the Fisker team, this is one of those key touch points with the customers that has to be absolutely flawless. Understood that you don't have direct control over these dealerships. but you should hold them accountable for the after delivery feedback. I can tell you that I called my dealership to ensure that when the car shows up that I'm going to work only with their top delivery people . They assured me that I won't be left to a junior sales rep or delivery person. Yes, I shouldn't have to call them ahead of time to get a great delivery experience, but I'm willing to invest a few minutes to make sure that it all goes well. For the record, my dealer has been great about keeping me informed all along the way and has a great service reputation.

#6 ·
Dutch said:
I guess it simply depends on the dealer.
I am pretty sure mine was literally the first Karma delivered to a customer by my dealer and the whole thing was very low key. They did take my picture with the car but they have not even posted that on their FB page yet (face perfect for radio?) but that is really a reflection of the sales manager who is a fellow engineer and a very serious and low key gentleman and I felt very comfortable with that as opposed to an over excited sales guy and the marching band, etc.

More importantly, when my Karma experienced some problems due to a super low battery, he dropped everything and rushed to my rescue with a brand new Jag XFR that he was going to let me use if they had to take the Karma back in.

That was exactly how I wanted to be treated, low key delivery but urgent and instantaneous response to my Mayday. I was perfectly happy with that approach.

-- Fab.

#7 ·
I'd say my experience was similar- not much pomp and circumstance. Recall that I had made an exception during the delivery 'moratorium' - so my car arrived off the truck Saturday morning, I got a call, rushed down to the dealer. They brought the car over. Shook my hand. Walked me through all the features etc. We finished all the DMV paperwork and registration, and then I drove the car in front, they snapped a pic for their facebook page, and voila, I was off and running. This was the first 'high end' car I've bought so didn't really know what to expect. Having gotten Audi/Lexus/BMW before, experience was very similar. Has anyone who's bought Maserati/Aston Martin/Porsche had different experiences?

#8 ·
There is at a Toyota dealer in Arizona where they have sirens and confetti explosions every time they sell a car. They really try to make it a fun memorable experience for every customer even though they are a high volume dealer.

#10 ·
Me and my buddy got invited to the new 911 show next Thursday when I picked up the car. I have sat around for a total of hours talking to my dealer sales rep about Fisker and the Karma and everything, so a low key delivery experience was cool with me. It was getting late and we both wanted to just get home. lol.

#11 ·
kabalah70 said:
Me and my buddy got invited to the new 911 show next Thursday when I picked up the car. I have sat around for a total of hours talking to my dealer sales rep about Fisker and the Karma and everything, so a low key delivery experience was cool with me. It was getting late and we both wanted to just get home. lol.
@Kab: I am surprised you didn't fly there in a helicopter to pick up your car. That would have been awesome. Of course, someone else would have had to fly the helicopter back, but that would have been worth it.

-- Fab.

#14 ·
matrix said:
I'm with BillyO, I don't think mine is even on the boat yet. Fisker was supposed to get back to me mid-week this week with an update, but I've heard nothing. Another game of chase. ;)
Matrix,

Do you know your VIN? If so, you can track it yourself. Click the link below, answer "no" to any of the silly 'display secure content only' popups, enter your VIN into the Cargo ID field and press Track. That will tell you if your car is in the system, at a dock, on a ship, or offloaded. It will even let you know if it's cleared customs or been released for transport. If it's on a ship you can find out when it's due to make landfall.

Click here to track by VIN

Brent

#15 ·
That doesn't surprise me. After talking to Frank Kent and Sewell sales reps in Dallas/Ft Worth about a new Karma (Jan-Feb 2012), they acted like vacuum sales reps. No clue on how to deal with potential purchasers of $100K cars. visting in person, i was handed a brochure and told to make an appointment at Sewell. At Frank Kent, they dont bother to even call back after I called twice and told them I am very interested in buying NOW. I am an executive of a fortune 100 company, articulate, dress nice, and planning to pay cash. (I was very cordial and let them know I was very interested) I have owned multiple 911 Porsches, BMW's, Mercedes, & Lexus. Momentum Porsche in Houston was great with my new Porsche, Moritz BMW Arlington put my wife's car in the middle of the showroom with a big red ribbon for when she picked it up, Park Place Lexus Grapevine had the GM of the dealership thank me personally for the last car I bought. The rep treated my daughter as if she was the buyer and gave her the golden treatment for her new Lexus.
Long story short: Fisker needs distribution and service bays. They partnered with various dealerships hoping they would manage brand awareness. BAD idea. If Fisker wants to control the customer experience, they need to force that into the dealers
. Otherwise, the "class" you see online will NEVER transfer. In addition, the customers, when treated like they are buying just another car, will react more irritated when there are problems. This does NOT bode well for Fisker. The reason APPLE was so successful is because THEY controlled the customer experience and didn't leave it up to the distributors. Good Luck Fisker!

#16 ·
That's Tesla's model and having talked to their sales staff, they are the auto analog of Apple. Professional, a little geeky, informed, and they make you feel special.

#17 ·
Urojet said:
[/i][/b]
Out of curiosity, how has everyone's delivery process been? I'm not talking about the delays but the actual pick up/delivery.
I have to say that despite my dealer's overall excellent responsiveness the delivery was very anti-climactic- a big let down !
There I was, three years plus of waiting, eager for something very memorable and special. What did I get? Here is your car and keys- Good buy and thank you for the check.
Forget about the Brand pride, all I left with was a lame key chain ( identical to my wife's Lexus key chain only with poor quality Fisker stamp). The stamp has since rubbed off and the key chain broke!
I expected a "mini celebration" - 1st Fisker ever sold at the dealership/the only Signature Edition to ever be sold at that particular dealership- nothing!
Not even a lousy polo shirt, forget the "bubbly" or a picture for the dealership to commemorate the 1st sale. I have gotten a thousandfold more memorable experiences picking up run of the mill Lexus, Audi or BMW.
My next day "Customer satisfaction" email congratulated me on my purchase of Land Rover "Karma" (the dealer hasn't yet even broken ground on the dedicated Fisker showroom and is a Land Rover dealer).
Despite how much I love the car, I'm still sour about that experience over 3 weeks later and had to vent out and ask if it is only unique to me or if Fisker has no idea as to how create brand loyalty and this is everyone else's experience too?

I am also sorry to hear that the delivery didn't live up to your expectations. I took delivery of mine last week January 28th. It had been sitting in the port getting its new battery and software upgrades since December 22nd. That was a bit annoying but Ida Cohen at Fisker customer service worked real hard during that time to "keep me in the loop" with the available info. My dealer actually brought the car to my house about 25 minutes away and spent over an hour running through the operation of the car. I hope your future dealings with your dealer are more gratifying.

Jeff

#18 ·
LonePalmBJ said:
matrix said:
I'm with BillyO, I don't think mine is even on the boat yet. Fisker was supposed to get back to me mid-week this week with an update, but I've heard nothing. Another game of chase. ;)
Matrix,

Do you know your VIN? If so, you can track it yourself. Click the link below, answer "no" to any of the silly 'display secure content only' popups, enter your VIN into the Cargo ID field and press Track. That will tell you if your car is in the system, at a dock, on a ship, or offloaded. It will even let you know if it's cleared customs or been released for transport. If it's on a ship you can find out when it's due to make landfall.

Click here to track by VIN

Brent
Thanks Brent! I get "No Records Found" so I guess it hasn't been loaded onto a ship yet. Last week I was told that assembly was complete and it was awaiting transport. Perhaps any day now. :)

#19 ·
MYKARMA said:
That doesn't surprise me. After talking to Frank Kent and Sewell sales reps in Dallas/Ft Worth about a new Karma (Jan-Feb 2012), they acted like vacuum sales reps. No clue on how to deal with potential purchasers of $100K cars. visting in person, i was handed a brochure and told to make an appointment at Sewell. At Frank Kent, they dont bother to even call back after I called twice and told them I am very interested in buying NOW. I am an executive of a fortune 100 company, articulate, dress nice, and planning to pay cash. (I was very cordial and let them know I was very interested) I have owned multiple 911 Porsches, BMW's, Mercedes, & Lexus. Momentum Porsche in Houston was great with my new Porsche, Moritz BMW Arlington put my wife's car in the middle of the showroom with a big red ribbon for when she picked it up, Park Place Lexus Grapevine had the GM of the dealership thank me personally for the last car I bought. The rep treated my daughter as if she was the buyer and gave her the golden treatment for her new Lexus.
Long story short: Fisker needs distribution and service bays. They partnered with various dealerships hoping they would manage brand awareness. BAD idea. If Fisker wants to control the customer experience, they need to force that into the dealers
. Otherwise, the "class" you see online will NEVER transfer. In addition, the customers, when treated like they are buying just another car, will react more irritated when there are problems. This does NOT bode well for Fisker. The reason APPLE was so successful is because THEY controlled the customer experience and didn't leave it up to the distributors. Good Luck Fisker!
I can't speak about Sewell since I haven't dealt with them yet, but Jon Phillips at Frank Kent has been responsive to my requests by both email and phone. But, the facilities for Fisker there is lacking. The cars seem like some step children hidden in the Cadillac service entry. There used to be a Fisker sign on the building and a small Fisker showroom part, but apparently Cadillac had a problem with that so now there's no sign and no showroom. You would not know they sold anything but Cadillacs driving by. Sad when compared to some of the beautiful dealerships elsewhere I've seen on the Fisker Facebook page.

Cheers,

#20 ·
I have to clarify something. I think my dealer has done an outstanding job communicating with me and accommodating me particularly post delivery. I have to agree with MyKarma's post and say that I believe the fault to lie with Fisker Automotive and not any specific dealership.
There will always be best and worst dealers/dealerships for any brand.
BUT! It is up to the company to define and manage that spectrum.
Fisker Automotive has established a business plan aimed not at or not just at the "green crowd" but specifically at the luxury or even super luxury car buyers.
To compete with the likes of established/pedigreed brands and to take away their customers they need something that will lure/woo the customers away. INDEED, that something for the Karma is the incredible look, panache of an exotic and the green factor.
That's what got us all to now call ourselves Fisker owners.
However, too establish brand reputation, pedigree and brand loyalty they will need service exceeding the established competition and obviously a great car.
If you remember the birth of "Japanese Mercedes" aka Lexus in the early nineties that is exactly how they did it. My wife won't buy anything but Lexus over the past 15 years despite my imploring her to try something else. Why? "They make me feel like a queen every single delivery and every single service appointment"- was her answer.
I love how my Karma drives BUT I didn't feel anywhere near as special as the car's looks/novelty/exotic feel/incredible waiting time etc. have made me anticipate to feel. Make me want to come back for the Sunset and for the next generation Karma!
This is directly for Fisker Automotive - You must establish and police minimal requirements/guidelines for all of your dealers of how you expect your customers to be treated. And these requirements/guidelines must correspond to the image you are trying to project.
Let me remind you of your own slogan "Uncompromised LUXURY"
Do Not Compromise!!!!!!!

#21 ·
I would not worry about the delivery experience. You will need to have your Karma back at the shop for several days each time for recall and updates. You will get a whole new delivery experience all over again and again ;-)

Hopefully, it will be better experience each time !

#22 ·
I think that was a great perspective you just posted. The dealership that sold me my car was friendly somewhat responsive but didn't knock my socks off. The physical facility is somewhat of a dump ( also a Jaguar dealership). There is another Jaguar dealership much closer to my home that I have been in. The facility is beatifull and much more luxurious. When I take our mercedes into the dealership everything about the experience spews luxury. In order for Fisker to truly compete in the luxury car market, they must ensure ALL the individual dealerships live up to the expectations of the luxury car consumer.

#23 ·
ixtractm said:
I think that was a great perspective you just posted. The dealership that sold me my car was friendly somewhat responsive but didn't knock my socks off. The physical facility is somewhat of a dump ( also a Jaguar dealership). There is another Jaguar dealership much closer to my home that I have been in. The facility is beatifull and much more luxurious. When I take our mercedes into the dealership everything about the experience spews luxury. In order for Fisker to truly compete in the luxury car market, they must ensure ALL the individual dealerships live up to the expectations of the luxury car consumer.
ixtractm, agreed. Fisker had a lot of delay and government intervention up front. I believe the debt was growing and the dealer network knew it, making it difficult for Fisker to make many demands. I just hope they can survive it. The jump into the dealer network was not thought out in my opinion. They went for volume/capacity instead of aligning to a single brand (such as all BMW dealers), they now have appeared to attach themselves to any large dealer who will take them. We have dealers who have affinity to many brands carrying Fisker (such as Sewell and Frank Kent in Dallas). That gets them out there quickly, but because the unit volume is going to be so low compared to other brands the dealer carries, what sales guy is going to invest when you can make much more selling 5 toyotas than 1 Karma. "Feel good" doesn't cut it when its paycheck time. Also, Sewell carries Lexus, you think they are going to have the Karma's aligned with the Lexus showroom? Not on your life. The volume, revenue, margin, etc, blows Fisker off the map. Believe me, this is a numbers business so Karma is in the old Hummer location. Frank Kent has it with the Cadillac's. Aston Martin should buy Fisker, then they would have a like style, dealership network, and exclusivity needed to move that brand. Still havent decided whether to buy a Karma... after reading all the issues on dependability, returning the car,etc. it makes me feel like I am buying Windows Vista. Do I live with the crashes? buy a Mac, or wait for the next release? Hard to think I am buying a computer with wheels. When my Windows computer freezes up at home, I just use my Mac or walk out my office. If I am on I-45, half way to Houston at 1:00am, pull over to grab a snack and my $100K car decides not to boot up, I'm going to want to throw it in the trash.

#25 ·
So sorry to hear of your experience. I work in a large dealer with 12 brands and over 60 sales people. I am one of only two allowed to sell and deliver the Karma for reasons that this cars buyers deserve a quality, personal delivery experience.
I have an incredible passion for this car and am embaressed at the treatment you received from whomever you took delivery of your Karma from.
"Land Rover Karma".....Really?
I tell my customers that my job begins when they drive off in their new car. Apparantly your dealers job ended at that moment.
My condolences.........Jon

#26 ·
midlux said:
... "Land Rover Karma".....Really?
I tell my customers that my job begins when they drive off in their new car. Apparantly your dealers job ended at that moment.
My condolences.........Jon
Fisker Salt Lake is an old Land Rover dealer (redone though). The parent company also does Bentley, Aston-Martin, and Spyker (see http://www.hadleyutah.com/ if you really care ;)).

Since I'm still waiting, can't really say what the future experience will be, yet. Hopefully they won't be calling it a "Land Rover Karma". :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.