Fisker Buzz Forums banner

Definitive Problem List

10K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  FredFriendly 
#1 ·
Before beginning, I want to say that I *love* this car.

I had high expectations for interior and exterior design and car met all those (high) standards.

I had done about 15 minutes test driving and liked the feel but, I must say after several hundred miles of mixed driving, the actual experience VASTLY exceeds expectations. The "liquid power" feel, the cool "turbine" sounds, the video-game fun of playing with the Hill modes are fantastic.

The advertised 50 mile stealth mode range is dead on for me. I expect this to drop a bit later in the summer once the A/C demand picks up, but it's clear it will be adequate for me to drive most days in Stealth alone. The 285 MPG reading I see in the Settings display is pretty great!

So, let me make it clear: I'm a big fan and I don't want anything I write to be used as fuel for the bashers. This is an awesome vehicle and magnificent design and engineering triumph in *most* ways.

But there are some serious problems. My dealership (Elder, aka "Tampa Jaguar", highly recommended) says these will be addressed "soon".

I realize many of the problems I have experienced have been noted in various posts on this forum. But, I haven't seen some of the problems I am experiencing (e.g., dashboard blinker signal indicators not functioning) noted anywhere.

Does anyone know if there's a definitive problem list anywhere? If not, I would like to start one so that I have a checklist for my dealership to address.

Since I suspect Fisker is monitoring this forum, this could also be a good covert method of making sure that all these issues make it onto the corrections punch list.

Please advise if this list exists. If not, I will post my list with hopes others add their issues later...

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree, it would be better to pre-empt death by a thousand paper cuts by publishing a list of known issues, solutions, and scheduled resolutions. Especially for those of us who voted early with our wallets. At 100 k a pop should be rewarded with excellent communication and gratitude for our collective leaps of faith. I also agree with the forum member who mentioned an extension of our warranties until a level of stability is achieved. While the owners pool is still relatively small, I'd suggest Fisker offer a small group or one to one in depth vehicle walkarounds.....

#4 ·
siliconkiwi said:
Fred - r.e. the indicator lights not working, I experienced that once too. My complete list of bugs (on 6.13, though) is on www.myfiskerkarma.com
It would be really nice if Fisker set up a web site where people could report bugs, system version, etc., and we could have something keeping track of known bugs and fixes and so on. But that's an "if". Meanwhile, you already have a web site with a great name for this, "my fisker karma dot com". How would you like to become The Site for doing this? Give people login-and-password privileges, set up a small DB (mysqldb perhaps), etc., and let individuals update their own reports while providing a generally-accessible summary.

#5 ·
Ct- it is just a Wordpress (hosted) site, which doesn't allow that sort of setup. Let's see if Fisker will reverse their course and set up a site, otherwise here at FBuzz seems like as good a place to do it as any (Perhaps via a small membership fee to subsidize Wimbledons expenses and time)?

#7 ·
I am happy to facilitate -- but is a wiki really the best option?

If we can maintain forum threads, then it is guaranteed that everyone registered here can contribute, and Fisker Automotive does read the forums. If comments are organized into distinct threads for each software release, that should work.

That said, if there is demand, I will setup a wiki. Who else would use the wiki?

#8 ·
Wimbledon said:
I am happy to facilitate -- but is a wiki really the best option?

If we can maintain forum threads, then it is guaranteed that everyone registered here can contribute, and Fisker Automotive does read the forums. If comments are organized into distinct threads for each software release, that should work.

That said, if there is demand, I will setup a wiki. Who else would use the wiki?
I'm not sure a wiki is the best option, but I think it's a pretty good/simple one for a concise summary of all the issues. It could be a list with a brief description plus known fixes or work arounds. Could even include a link to a specific thread where the issue is discussed in detail.

As long as you have a version history and can step back to previous versions to prevent vandalism, I think it would be a good resource.

#9 ·
I am sure Fisker is compiling something like this, they just aren't sharing. Probably worried to let people see how many problems there are because the info will leak to the media, no doubt. Transparancy is a fiction that will remain so until society is mature enough to handle it. Look at Wikileaks, if countries' diplomats do not think that other countries' diplomats talk bad about them behind closed doors, they are fools and deserve to have their egos bruised.

#11 ·
I totally agree that this forum should maintain a definitive list of problems that are confirmed, to the best of our knowledge, to be car error and not operator error. I suggest that the list be binned into:

- CONFIRMED PROBLEMS (problems that have been independently reported by three or more Karma owners)
- SUSPECTED PROBLEMS (two reports)
- NEWLY REPORTED PROBLEMS (one detailed report)
- RESOLVED PROBLEMS (previously confirmed problems that have been addressed by software or hardware update)

The post owner could then update the list with every subsequent post (assuming permanent editing of a post isn't possible on this forum).

We know Fisker reads this forum, so such a list will help them help us.

-David

#12 ·
Only advice I can give you the owners any problem you have intermittent problem write them all down make a list and give the list to the Service Manager of the dealership you purchased the car at .Even if there isn't fix out right now Fisker engineering is tracking all the problems and they do compile a list and review all complaints . At this point if a car is in service or not I open a TSS case on the car and list all the concerns of the owner even if there isn't a fix out I document all these issue's so Fisker tech support has to view the report .Trust me when I say Fisker is taking all these concerns very seriously .

#13 ·
FredFriendly said:
Does anyone know if there's a definitive problem list anywhere? If not, I would like to start one so that I have a checklist for my dealership to address.

Since I suspect Fisker is monitoring this forum, this could also be a good covert method of making sure that all these issues make it onto the corrections punch list.

Please advise if this list exists. If not, I will post my list with hopes others add their issues later...
So, it appears there's enough interest to kick this off. As I stated in my original post, I am an owner and enthusiast. Every day I love this car more. (408 MPGe, yeah!) So, this list is coming from someone who thinks he has a great car already and just wants to see it become awesome....

There are two lists. The first contains clear "bugs". That is, things that could not be interpreted to be working correctly or "as designed". The second relates to enhancements or improvements. Some of the items on this second list clearly need addresssing and some are more subjective and perhaps debatable.

If others would like to add to each list, I will update this post from time to time to consolidate entries.

----- Problem ("bug") List ------
•Turn signals and other dash lights (rear fog lamps) occasionally not indicating on dash
•Easy entry/exit position not returned consistently on start
•Speedo occasionally does not function
•NAV occasionally system "ducks" music audio and leaves it ducked. Adjusting audio level up so sat radio audio source could be heard resulted in ear shattering volume with NAV lady spoke again.
•Bluetooth phone audio (inbound) is terrible (scratchy audio or dropouts)
•Bluetooth phone audio (music playing) "skips"
•PRND "disco light" effect
•Occasional unknown reason green light
•Occasional unknown red flash idiot light ("low" oil pressure) and ding
•Requirement to "wait" to plug in charger. Car needs to automatically recycle fans and allow full charging no matter how quickly you plug in.
•Occasional backup camera fritz (unviewable "static").
•Odometer not working (overall and trip)
•Proximity beeper doesn't turn off.
•Audio not restored to setting (source, station, volume) left in when last exited car
•Failure to detect and link to BT phone (for use as a phone)
•Does not show labels on stored stations for Sat Radio until button is pressed
•Does not charging light on dash when charging (as per manual)
•Solar panel display should actually do something.
•Diagnostics display should actually do something (i.e., "OK" when that's the status of a sub-system or should show values, like tire pressure). In 6.14, it does nothing....
•Cabin environment hold feature implemented.
•Cabin ventilate feature implemented.
•Command center responsiveness needs dramatic improvement; this is so bad it's on the bug list (2-4 seconds to change a screen is ridiculous and a driving safety hazard).
•Haptic response needs to work in all cases.
•Needs to retain audio and other settings between invocations.
•Audio and environmental controls should initiate to last used settings without requiring "Agree" (like every other car).

---- Refinements / Improvements List ------
•Reduce or eliminate shudder when engine turns off at stop
•NAV volume must be adjustable (including off)
•Digital speedo in Stealth
•Extend finger on dial speedo so speed more clearly indicated.
•Ability to turn OFF City time display. (Don't care what time it is in New York).
•Audio level steps too big. In my car, on Sat radio, 5 is too soft and 6 is too LOUD!. Need finer grain steps.
•Option for "Sustain" or "Charge" mode with ICE running (i.e., option to allow generator to run harder to actually charge battery).
•Auto dimming of displays in darkness
•Option to show digital speedo rather than useless and unreadable clock in Stealth mode.

#14 ·
Good starting list. Some comments:

You may not *like* it, but AFAIK this is intentional behavior and not a defect

•Requirement to "wait" to plug in charger. Car needs to automatically recycle fans and allow full charging no matter how quickly you plug in.
Where does this 'requirement' come from? It's not in the owners manual, and I've always plugged in immedately after parking without any charging issues.

•Diagnostics display should actually do something (i.e., "OK" when that's the status of a sub-system or should show values, like tire pressure). In 6.14, it does nothing....
The diagnostics display does show something when there is a fault. I agree that I'd like to see tire pressure all the time, but that's an enhancement, not a bug

•Ability to turn OFF City time display. (Don't care what time it is in New York).
You can do this already. Under settings turn off the second time zone display

#16 ·
Wimbledon - thanks as always for the hard work you put into the site. I can't seem to log into the wiki (is login access enabled)?

All - please make sure to reference WHICH SOFTWARE VERSION YOU HAVE when logging or mentioning bugs. Bug databases become useless if bugs can't be tracked effectively.

#17 ·
siliconkiwi said:
Wimbledon - thanks as always for the hard work you put into the site. I can't seem to log into the wiki (is login access enabled)?

All - please make sure to reference WHICH SOFTWARE VERSION YOU HAVE when logging or mentioning bugs. Bug databases become useless if bugs can't be tracked effectively.
You're welcome. I hope to soon fully launch the wiki.

1. It appears the wiki itself is not visible by default -- I am searching through many pages of settings to try and figure it out. This TikiWiki software has many options.

2. If registration is needed, registration will have to be completed once more for TikiWiki. To my knowledge, it is not possible at this time to import MyBB forum membership information into TikiWiki.

#22 ·
Wimbledon said:
The wiki should be working now. To edit the wiki, become a registered user of the wiki.

www.fiskerbuzz.com/wiki
When I tried to register the anti-bot verification code did not display, so I was unable to type it in. Registration failed.

#23 ·
LonePalmBJ said:

You may not *like* it, but AFAIK this is intentional behavior and not a defect.
***** Can you explain why or when it does this effect or is it just random? If just random, how can that possibly have been intentional? Or is this just a case (as I suspect) of calling a "Bug" a "Feature"?

Where does this 'requirement' come from? It's not in the owners manual, and I've always plugged in immedately after parking without any charging issues.
***** No, it's NOT in the owners manual (because it's not supposed to work this way) but if you plug in before the fans and lights go out you may not get a complete charge and the fans/lights continue to operate the entire cycle. I was advised by my dealer upon delivery to "wait". Others at this forum have commented on this issue.

The diagnostics display does show something when there is a fault. I agree that I'd like to see tire pressure all the time, but that's an enhancement, not a bug
***** Are you sure it does something? My dealer says "not until next revision (6.15)".

***** My bad.
Comments on this post are inline preceeded by asterisks above....

#24 ·
FredFriendly said:
LonePalmBJ said:

You may not *like* it, but AFAIK this is intentional behavior and not a defect.
***** Can you explain why or when it does this effect or is it just random? If just random, how can that possibly have been intentional? Or is this just a case (as I suspect) of calling a "Bug" a "Feature"?
}}}}}}} No, I've not figured out a rhyme or reason either, but other threads here have discussed this and even some Fisker-knowledgeable people have weighed in. The car has a few design flourishes (window to nowhere, anyone?) that I'm not sure I 'get'

**** No, it's NOT in the owners manual (because it's not supposed to work this way) but if you plug in before the fans and lights go out you may not get a complete charge and the fans/lights continue to operate the entire cycle. I was advised by my dealer upon delivery to "wait". Others at this forum have commented on this issue.
}}}}} I've never heard of this, and it's not something Fisker is telling all owners. Like I said, it works for me correctly every time. Have you actually had problems with it, or are just leery based on what you've heard?

***** Are you sure it does something? My dealer says "not until next revision (6.15)".
}}}} Yes, I'm sure. The diagnostic screen displays faults. If nothing is displayed (all systems OK) then it's just a mostly static screen, with a grey-on-grey display and a slow animation in the center. When there is a fault, the Diag button turns orange, and pressing it displays the Diag screen with the offending subsystem(s) displaying in orange as well. Pressing the system in question will display a detail page describing the particular fault. I've seen it on my car for a Parking System fault, and many others have seen it for a Tire Pressure fault. There are screenshots in the forums somewhere too. Your dealer gave you inaccurate information. The enhancement I was referring to is that if you get a tire pressure fault, the detail page will tell you the pressure of the offending tire and the pressure of the other three tires as well. Unfortunately, the only way to see that page; and therefore your tire pressures, is when one of the tires is out of spec.

***** My bad.
Comments on this post are inline preceeded by asterisks above....

My comments are preceeded by }}}}}}

#25 ·
ct-fiskerbuzz said:
Wimbledon said:
The wiki should be working now. To edit the wiki, become a registered user of the wiki.

www.fiskerbuzz.com/wiki
Can't register -- I get a box labeled "anti-bot code verification image" (captcha, I guess) but there's no image...
dennis said:
Wimbledon said:

www.fiskerbuzz.com/wiki
When I tried to register the anti-bot verification code did not display, so I was unable to type it in. Registration failed.
Please try again now.

#26 ·
Could someone with some time and preferably bug management experience (cough cough, Dennis? :) ) create an initial structure for classification, reporting and management of these bug reports? Wikipedia is great not just because it includes gobs of information, but also because the information is searchable, somewhat accurate/reputable, and logically and consistently presented. A good set of goals for the FiskerBuzz wiki, IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.