Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went to pick up my car, they had it sitting next to an Aston Martin Rapide:

Just a moment's hesitation ensued, but I definitely feel like I went home with the right car.

-- Fab.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
...plus you got to keep an extra $100K....

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I imagine the Sunset will be very expensive. I imagine $25k premium on top of the three levels of the Karma. More if they decide to somehow incorporate a solar roof into it.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
kabalah70 said:
I imagine the Sunset will be very expensive. I imagine $25k premium on top of the three levels of the Karma. More if they decide to somehow incorporate a solar roof into it.
Not to sidetrack this conversation too much, but do we have any recent information on the Sunset? I am thinking about separating the Sunset discussion into its own forum off the main index page.

Fabulist, the Rapide is a fantastic car in its own right but I agree that the Karma is the better choice. The Karma's technology is so much more interesting.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kabalah70 said:
When they first announced the Sunset, the projected price was $125K, which at the time was significantly higher than the $88K Karma. If we factor in the Karma price increases, the Sunset would probably end up somewhere near $150K in real price, but it would still be be worth it, IMHO.

Not sure if the roof would be the best place for the solar cells on a convertible, maybe on the bonnet? :)

-- Fab.[hr]
Wimbledon said:
kabalah70 said:
Not to sidetrack this conversation too much, but do we have any recent information on the Sunset? I am thinking about separating the Sunset discussion into its own forum off the main index page.

Fabulist, the Rapide is a fantastic car in its own right but I agree that the Karma is the better choice. The Karma's technology is so much more interesting.

I would be shocked if there were any news of the Sunset in the near future. Between the Karma, Surf, and Nina, Fisker has a pretty full plate at the moment.

-- Fab.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AnOutsider said:
Sunset should be easier than the Nina no?
Not what I heard.

-- Fab.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Especially considering that the 2009 NAIAS had a prototype of the Sunset. Wimbledon, I think a Sunset thread would be good considering the Surf has one. It may help Fisker gage desire and answer some styling questions of theirs, for example, would people buy it if it had zero trunk space because of the storage for the roof? Would people be satisifed with a soft top or is a hard top extremely important? The demo was hard top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLquMdIc-Qo

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
kabalah70 said:
Especially considering that the 2009 NAIAS had a prototype of the Sunset. Wimbledon, I think a Sunset thread would be good considering the Surf has one. It may help Fisker gage desire and answer some styling questions of theirs, for example, would people buy it if it had zero trunk space because of the storage for the roof? Would people be satisifed with a soft top or is a hard top extremely important? The demo was hard top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLquMdIc-Qo
I agree. I have officially split the Sunset discussion into its own forum here:
http://fiskerbuzz.com/forums/Forum-Fisker-Sunset

Please start threads over there so we can properly focus the Sunset discussion and rumors.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AnOutsider said:
Odd. I'd imagine making a variant of a car would be easier than a new car on a new platform.
A convertible version of an existing car is typically very different structurally from the original one because the loss of stiffness that results from removing the roof has to be compensated for by adding structural reinforcement elsewhere, which also means that the convertible version of most cars weighs more than the standard version. This also has crashworthiness implications, as you may imagine. So there is a fair amount of work to turn this into a real car.

The Surf, by contrast is 70% Karma plus an ugly back end with almost no structural reconfiguration and it's still going to take a couple of years to get from prototype to release.

-- Fab.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
How about those rims! I still prefer the circuit blade...

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
SoCalGuy said:
...plus you got to keep an extra $100K....
When I was taking the photos of my Karma with the Rapide, I asked the salesman how they were selling, He said they sold well at first, then sales fell off, and now they are starting to sell well again with the $40K incentive :exclamation:

Must not be much of a market for $200K sedans.[hr]
AnOutsider said:
Sunset should be easier than the Nina no?
My guess is that Fisker will put all of their engineering efforts behind the Nina. It should be the volume car that can get them to profitability, and was the primary reason for the $529M loan from the DOE.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts