Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to do something to the wheels for quite a while...partially for aesthetics and to help alleviate some of the curb rash. I wanted something that would better match with all the black accents on the car but still look right/classy with the diamond dust paint. The kit parts cost @ $70 with shipping and consisted of 4 cans of matt black, 1 can of bronze metalizer and 3 cans of glossifier. I still have 2 full cans of the black, half a can of metalizer and half a gloss left over. In total I used 12 coats with a minimum of 30 minutes between each coat. I used to garbage bags per wheel to cover the suspension and brake components...and I can re-use them inside out. If I were to do it again, I would have used a thicker black coat each time for a smoother finish. Overall, I'm very happy with the results. The wheels now look gloss black, except when light/sun hits them. Not sure it comes across well enough in the photos but here you go. I know a few of you were curious to see the results. I did it with the rims still on the car and I taped out the chrome centers but now realize I didn't need to do that to easily remove the coating. The overspray easily peeled off the wheels.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
If you bought the products straight from Dip your car.com they are located five minutes from my house they put out a great product i did some Karma rims last year .

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
They look fantastic, proly look good with my Earth

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, got it from the folks at dipyourcar.com. They have excellent tutorials on their site and the price/support you can't beat. The bronze is a newer color for them and when I looked into gold, the bronze was sounding better for the car. The slightly higher saturation of color in the bronze tones down the shadow paint and I think it makes the whole car look better. The regular silver wheels didn't match anything on the car and there is tonnes of black all over the place...the B-pillar, glass trim, exhaust ports, bumper intakes, etc. I think the wheels look even bigger now and more of a batmobile muscle theme without looking tacky. or at least IMHO :) I've put on 100 miles today and there seems to be no wear. If I scrape any off (hopefully not on another curb), I can hopefully touch it up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They look fantastic, proly look good with my Earth
They probably would look great with Earth! You might want to consider the brown well as the the black. There is a tutorial showing the bronze over a white, a black and a brown base color, in case you are more curious to see the differences. the beauty is, you can peel it off, if you don't like it :)

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
It'a great solution, but even with the curb rash, the metallic part of the rim seems to balance out the huge black tires. When they are the same color, or a similarly dark shade, the wheels look like huge black holes. This is obviously a matter of personal preference, so if it looks good to you, then that's all that matters.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It'a great solution, but even with the curb rash, the metallic part of the rim seems to balance out the huge black tires. When they are the same color, or a similarly dark shade, the wheels look like huge black holes. This is obviously a matter of personal preference, so if it looks good to you, then that's all that matters.
I wouldn't have done this combo on your car. When you are in town next, you can check it out. I think it's important to have some contrast to highlight the wheels and the car body. Your metallic black might look good with a black or grey base and a heavier silver metalizer layer, IMHO, if you are looking for a way to protect the wheels...or hide road rash. There is also a metallic product available with no need for a base color: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPVeeEzFQt8 Anthracite or Vintage gold for your black car???

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did it again...variation of previous Plastidip

So I gave the 4th and final wheel rim some road rash this week and decided that it was time for a refresh and a little change. the first attempt lasted quite a long time but was starting to peel on a couple of rims. The materials cost me only @ $30 this second time. I was much more generous on the color layers and really like the variations effect this time round. I'll probably try more of a red than a maroon next time around in the middle area. I didn't remove the plastidip from the center chrome logo this time. If you go to cars and Croissants at Santana Row Saturday, you can see them up close. The first image shows me cleaning the overspray off the tire. No need to mask. I did put garbage bags over the rotors and calipers though.

Attachments

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
I've been meaning to do something to the wheels for quite a while...partially for aesthetics and to help alleviate some of the curb rash.
Jeez, I thought the rims were perfect when you bought the car ;)

Seriously, they look really good!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts