Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a ridiculous amount of hours (too many). These custom grilles are finally road ready, I had to show em off :D

Just don't ask for a set, WHAT A NIGHTMARE these were to make with this material, lol!

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
I do like the metal mesh grill. It looks a lot nicer than the current plastic louvers.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Looks great - I like the grill as well...but would want a smaller diamond "tighter" mesh as an option. What are you using for the mesh? I've seen gutter guard mesh used on some tuner cars and Ferrari actually used it on the 80s-90s cars.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I used actual chromed steel chain link, was expensive but we'll worth it. Needed bolt cutters to cut each link. Yes I'd prefer to work with the aluminum mesh, you can bend with your fingers but when you see these in person, the luster is a dead match for the frames, pseudo Bentley.
This pic after I removed the ugly styrofoam but before I blacked out the frame rail.

·
Registered
122 Posts
...after I removed the ugly styrofoam but before I blacked out the frame rail.
I heard the styrofoam can be removed, is it necessary to have it?

I know some people wrapped it such as carbon fiber wrap, but it looks like you took it out completely. What, if anything, did you put behind the grill?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is part of the 5 mph collision protection and mandatory for certain markets. I checked with the owner first before removing. Behind that is a painted frame rail which on the white car stood out badly so I painted it black and now you don't see anything there.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
I heard the styrofoam can be removed, is it necessary to have it?

I know some people wrapped it such as carbon fiber wrap, but it looks like you took it out completely. What, if anything, did you put behind the grill?
It is part of the 5 mph collision protection and mandatory for certain markets. I checked with the owner first before removing. Behind that is a painted frame rail which on the white car stood out badly so I painted it black and now you don't see anything there.
It's probably not a good idea to remove any part of the safety structure of the car, including the styrofoam energy absorption system. I have mine covered with the Carbon Fibre facia and it looks fine. Even just painting it body color, or Black, to hide it would be preferable to removing it altogether, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I'm not mistaken, that styrofoam was not in the original design or prototype cars. It was added last minute to allow the car to meet "global" safety standards. Pretty sure it was only necessary to meet a European standard, possibly Germany I thought. (It's not like I pulled out an airbag, jeez... :D

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
I really appreciated that aftermarket option by FiskerPhilly to remove the airbags and replace with skull shaped confetti and blood-red streamers that would go off in the event of a collision...
You WEREN'T supposed to TELL THEM!
My favorite airbag replacement option is from this episode of the 80's show Hart to Hart, where Robert Wagner gets a massive chrome revolver handed to him by an elaborate mechanism inside the steering wheel of his car. Can I get that installed? It would only be legal in a few states, but I am pretty sure New Hampshire would be one of them. :D

http://youtu.be/Xy_vDzVyPNM?t=40

·
Early Adopter
1,246 Posts
My favorite airbag replacement option is from this episode of the 80's show Hart to Hart, where Robert Wagner gets a massive chrome revolver handed to him by an elaborate mechanism inside the steering wheel of his car. Can I get that installed? It would only be legal in a few states, but I am pretty sure New Hampshire would be one of them. :D

http://youtu.be/Xy_vDzVyPNM?t=40
Never saw anything like it -- would make double 007 blush -- thx fab

PS> I want one too -- @FiskerPhilly can you work this into the Karma, maybe change the glove buttom to pop out a compartment in the 10" display like my ridgeline CD player behind my 7" inch display -- that would be so cool. LOL

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...&mid=A451FE49AA443EF8AAFDA451FE49AA443EF8AAFD

·
Registered
80 Posts
Someone totaled my beauty last month. Front end collision at about 40 mph. No airbag deployment. Kinda scary! Bought another one last weekend :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts