Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am considering buying a Fisker Karma, but I'm a little gun shy.
I'm hoping I can find out some information about the particular car I am interested in.
The VIN is YHK14AA2CA001711

I was test driving it the other day and after going over a speed bump and then accelerating it felt like a shimmy on the rear axle until I decelerated and then accelerated again with no problems. I'm worried that this may be a sign of big problems ahead.

The car has 5,643 miles on it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Special K

·
Registered
859 Posts
The Karma gives the appearance of perfection but like most cars it isn't. The CEL light comes on occasionally, and the exhaust can rattle and need adjustment. Sometimes the parking sensors stop working. But these glitches often fix themselves when the Karma goes to sleep. You wake it up at it's all okay again.

It takes a certain type of individual to appreciate the good things and forgive or fix the bad. To love Karma you have to be more of a Romanticist than a Pragmatist. Decide which one you are and you'll know what to do.

For many of us on this forum, the choice was simple after we experienced this amazing example of American ingenuity. We're in this for the long term.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks IRA
I have read the "Karma Buyers Guide" on this forum.
It kinda scares the **** out of me.

I do like the car and the price is right, I'm just worried that I might end up over my head with this one. Then I will have marital problems on top of car problems :dodgy:

There is no paperwork with the car indicating any recalls or maintenance has been performed.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
There's a digit missing or the VIN is typed incorrectly. I can get you more information once I know the full, correct VIN

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I figured out what the missing digit was. It doesn't show that anything major has been performed (HV Battery replacement or RDM). The VIN is higher and mileage lower, so not surprised about the RDM not being worked on. Looks like a lot of body panel adjustments and some other minor work.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Thanks IRA
I have read the "Karma Buyers Guide" on this forum.
It kinda scares the **** out of me.

I do like the car and the price is right, I'm just worried that I might end up over my head with this one. Then I will have marital problems on top of car problems :dodgy:

There is no paperwork with the car indicating any recalls or maintenance has been performed.
You should be concerned, as we all are, about the warranty status of the car. That said, a number of folks are posting about their deliberations on a possible purchase and you should have plenty of information to consider as part of your decision making process. You should also search, and read posts by owners who have decided to sell their cars and get different cars, so that you can get a more balanced view.

Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
996 Posts
If this is YH4K14AA2CA001711- I believe this car was traded for a BFS. I know the original owner. The Bentley dealer that took in for trade was one of the original FCB partners. They couldn't sell the car and it went to auction.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. It now makes sense that there was a business card for the Bentley dealer in the glove box, along with all of the original paperwork rom the original owner.

Question: How do you find out the software version of the car?

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I googled this VIN and found some pictures.....interior looks a bit thrashed, especially the seats....

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I googled this VIN and found some pictures.....interior looks a bit thrashed, especially the seats....
Saw the same pics - I think its just the lighting and the black alcantara effect that makes it look worn, but interior looked fine to me. A few scruff marks but that's easy enough to remove.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Thanks for the info. It now makes sense that there was a business card for the Bentley dealer in the glove box, along with all of the original paperwork rom the original owner.

Question: How do you find out the software version of the car?
The car is on 510 per the service records

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info.
You guys rock!!
I have been reading the forum to gain as much knowledge as possible before buying, and I really appreciate all the time that members have taken to post here.

So, now that you have seen pictures and have an idea of what services have been done to the car, in your opinion what would a fair price be?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Value is anybody's guess right now, it comes down to if what you are willing to pay is what the seller is willing to take, the market is all over the place and the market will dictate the price. There is a risk/reward factor at play, few cars in the world have the same scenario right now, there are still a lot of cars out there, once they are sold off though, over time, the prices should either stabilize or rise, anybody's guess, will really come down to availability of parts, but the way I see it, you could probably part a car out for $40,000 (if the battery is good, it's probably worth $10,000 to $15,000 alone), so how much are you willing to risk above what the parts are worth to be an owner? I love my car, have had zero problems with it since the last update in October 2012, so I wouldn't be willing to sell it cheap, I'd rather keep it than give it away, makes no sense, but a dealer may just be ready to get it off its books, just start low and see where it takes you, good luck!

·
Owner #1926
113 Posts
SpecialK- Like Ira said, it more about you. Do you require perfection? Will you be pissed when its daily glitches pop up (but usually go away the next time you wake it up). If so, this car is not for you. Plain and simple.
Can you appreciate beauty and ingenuity for what it is and accept its faults? Can you cope with the fact that two days after you buy it, you may need to fly Lormax out for a 10K fix?
Do some soul searching. What do you need?
Personally - I paid WAY too much for my car. But I don't care. This has been a 6-year love affair and I had to have one. And its been worth it. (Lormax - don't you dare rat me out to my husband on the overpaying thing when I evetually have to fly you out here!)
The question is - is it worth it to YOU?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input I am looking forward to being part of the "Gang".
I realize that my question about market value is really anyone's guess at this point.

I have a few questions that despite my searches haven't been able to find an answer to.

1) Is the only difference between the EcoSport and the EcoChic just the difference in interior materials (leather vs. textile suede) ?

2) How many Karmas were built?

3) I am testing out the Karma and when it is charging I do not see an indicator on the dash like the manual says I should....reason for concern?

I'm sure I have other questions too.....just can't think of them right now.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Special K
I've never had a charging indicator on the dash either. However the Karma takes a full charge anyway...50 e-miles overnight.
Unless you're going to sit in the car while it charges, I see no reason to have a charging light on the dash.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I realize that my question about market value is really anyone's guess at this point.

I have a few questions that despite my searches haven't been able to find an answer to.

1) Is the only difference between the EcoSport and the EcoChic just the difference in interior materials (leather vs. textile suede) ?

3) I am testing out the Karma and when it is charging I do not see an indicator on the dash like the manual says I should....reason for concern?

Thanks!!
1) Pretty much.

2) Most will say ~ 2,000 with the # approaching 2,500 on the very high end (including the 338 destroyed in Hurricane Sandy).

3) If the car was asleep when you plugged in, I don't think it will show the "plug cord" charging indicator in the dash. In that case, to force it to be shown, open a door and wait 5-10 seconds. In my experience, that will wake up the car enough to then show the charging indicator.

·
Registered
546 Posts

Thanks!!
1) The only differences between the EcoSport and EcoChic are the interior trim and the price.

For what it is worth, I have spent 9 months driving my EcoChic Laguna Karma with Glacier Tri-tone interior on a daily basis. This is the first car I have ever owned that did not have a leather interior. I chose the EcoChic model because I was determined to have an animal-free/cruelty-free interior. And I made that choice despite the fact that I vastly preferred the look of the all black leather/textile suede EcoSport interior. And I am SO pleased with the decision!! The EcoChic's Alcantara textile suede trim feels far more luxurious, far more comfortable than any leather interior I've ever encountered. The Alcantara suede is more forgiving than the leather so you don't end up encountering puckered seams, etc... As for the durability of the Alcantara, I suppose only time will tell but so far, so good. I've even spilled coffee-tinged cappuccino foam on the grey/silver portion of the Alcantara, and it cleaned right up with no stains. I *highly* recommend that anyone consider the EcoChic interior over the EcoSport!

2) My Karma is among the last produced, and my VIN is 2669. I think I've only seen one other higher VIN than that. But you have to take into account that greater than 300 of them were destroyed in Hurricane Sandy, so there are fewer than that on the road.

3) I don't think there is any charging indicator on the dash. If so, I've never seen it.

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
So, now that you have seen pictures and have an idea of what services have been done to the car, in your opinion what would a fair price be?
The latest info I have been able to gather:

Retail sales at dealers in the $60K's
Private sales in the $50K's depending on VIN/mileage/upgrades done
Wholesale/auction/fire sale in the $40K's

Anyone else?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts