Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I agree this forum is for owners to discuss pros, cons, ideas, accessories, etc. about their Karma's, but as we all know, myself included, potential buyers are also here wanting feedback on if they should buy an unproven brand, wondering if the Karma will turn into a $100k brick, etc. I have noticed, in my opinion, not enough owners have come fwd with their experiences after the 6.28 update. If you are considering a Karma, I want to share my experience with the car....I purchased my Karma in February of this year and yes, I've had all the issues, glitches, etc. on my car that you may have read about on here in the past....yes, it has been frustrating and time consuming, but Fisker's customer service throughout this process has been, to say the least, stellar. I've owned every brand under the sun and few compare to their efforts to make things right. About 6 or 7 weeks ago now, a Fisker engineer flew in, personally uploaded the 6.28 software, and the car has been FLAWLESS every since and my car was one of the early builds. As many others have said here, my past headaches were always software glitches, but I've NEVER had a mechanical issue. Being frustrated in the past, I'd be lieing if I didn't admit I've considered replacing my Karma until.....until I look at what would replace it, I can't find anything that gives you the same experience, drive, feel, fuel economy (btw I'm avg. 120 mpg after 1500 miles). I was skeptical about the car when I first visited my dealer and then I drove it....drive one, it's a phenomenal driving car and is why I bought it first and foremost. Like the Taylor Swift song "People throw rocks at things that shine"....it makes a better story for folks at Consumer Reports and other media outlets to beat up on the car since this is Fisker's first effort and because they borrowed $ from the DOE, some people seem hell bent on beating down this car and I'll never understand that. BMW recalled 2013 M6's and M5's a few days ago because the oil pumps are failing and destroying the engines. Jesus, how many cars has Government Motors (GM) recalled in the last 90 days? Read "Inside Line" on Edmunds.com.....the # of established manufacturers with recalls and car fires is staggering, but most of it never makes it to the mainstream, you have to dig for this information. Bottomline is my car kicks ass, I've had ZERO issues since the 6.28 update and I love this car....don't let the naysayers discourage you if you are considering a Karma, just confirm the car has the latest software update, Fisker has the major issues ironed out now, the 6.28 update is what you'll need at a minimum, and you'll drive off happy....very happy indeed.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I am so glad to read your input on owning your Karma! I also have a Karma that has been thru the ups and downs of software issues and even a recall on the fan, but I wouldn't own anything else in it's place. Like you I have found it to be an experience, it's hard to put into words but we are on the forefront of something and it is not just driving a car, it's experiencing a vehicle like no other. The feeling you get while driving the Karma and the attention wanted or unwanted is just crazy. It is a work of art in every sense of the word, it is the best car I have every experienced and I will probably keep it forever. It is my baby, and I would buy another one over and over again if I had the need and finances to do so. Thanks for your piece above txam99!

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Ditto - had my Karma since January, so 9 months and 2500 miles later, so far everything is working well. Fisker customer service has been outstanding!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Had mine since June, running 6.28, 1,600 miles so far, driven almost every day as my daily commuting car. Overall very pleased, especially now that I'm come to a good understanding of the car. There are still annoying glitches with the command center and software (Bluetooth audio controls, for example!), but all of the most important qualities about this car have met or exceeded my expectations.

So my advice to prospective buyers is: 1) do your research so you know as much as possible about the car; then 2) if you've done #1 and conclude the important features of the car (e.g., all-electric commuting, very quiet ride in stealth mode, great handling, good acceleration, seats four adults reasonably, looks amazing) are what you want, buy it and don't look back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I want to share my story. I bought mine in may after the 6.15 release. I had to unplug it twice in 2900 miles and four months. I never had mine in for service. In mid september I completed the fan replacement and 6.28 upgrade and everything has been great in the past few weeks. My IPhone works with blue tooth and direct plug.

I have a ford gt 2005. Ford thunderbird 2002 ford mustang gt500kr 2008 and 645 BMW 2004 convertible to drive in my six months of summer. Yet I have found myself putting 3000 miles on the fisker. The most miles any summer of the prior vehicles. I find this a statement to the amazing design, Reliable driving experience and enjoying the new challenge of driving 100% electric when I can. Of the vehicles above, All have had recalls with the ford gt being the only one with no service required due to problems. The BMW stranded me and I had to flatbed due to software. But each became stable and predictable. All were first year models and early builds.

So in sum. I have wonderful choices to enjoy summer drive and love having the fisker to drive even on sunny days.

·
Fisker Driver
79 Posts
I've been running with 6.28 for a few months now and have had a continuously fantastic driving experience. It almost seems silly to try to sell the Karma. It is truly a one of a kind vehicle without any real competitors currently. I've had almost 20 friends drive mine and without exception the response is nothing less than exhilarating to each of them. It is an incredible automobile to drive, the fun of which I haven't found driving Aston Martin's, BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches, or any american car including mustangs or corvettes. I'm still averaging about 150 mpg. It's kind of low because I now enjoy it on long trips as well. Initially I tried to never use the ICE, but it drives great with it as well. So what I've not heard on this forum is any accumulation of unsolved mechanical issues or Karma's stuck in a shop. The service has been first class. For those considering the purchase: Drive the car, read this forum, talk to some owners. It's an investment that will change your soul. I'm ruined for life. The addictive feel of the Karma is not easily shed nor forgotten especially when driving a "standard" vehicle.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry to interject with some statistics,
How do you goes explain the fact that the car that has been in the market for such a short time has considerably high number of used cars, about 35 according to cars.com and some more on eBay that are not selling.
Some of the cars, at least 2 I have seen over the last few weeks already have 2 previous owners and are looking for the third one?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
P90XMC2 said:
How do you goes explain the fact that the car that has been in the market for such a short time has considerably high number of used cars, about 35 according to cars.com and some more on eBay that are not selling.
Some of the cars, at least 2 I have seen over the last few weeks already have 2 previous owners and are looking for the third one?
My last two cars before my Karma were XK Jaguars. I bought both of them with less than 1500 miles on them from the dealer. People buy cars that they can't afford, or can't afford to insure, or they see something else they want, etc. This is not unique to the Karma.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think many buys it thinking its an sportscar and maybe gets disapointed.
It is not a sportscar:)
More like a big compfortable car with some sporting genes and looks but with an eco friendly concept.

I think it is a really good thing for electronic cars. Everyone who see the car says " wow and that thing can run on electricity"

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
P90XMC2 said:
McLaren has sold 1200 MP4-12C's worldwide during the same period of time that Fisker sold 1500 Karmas. There are 33 used 12C's for sale on cars.com. So the number of used Karmas for sale is not at all unusual.

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
dennis said:
P90XMC2 said:
McLaren has sold 1200 MP4-12C's worldwide during the same period of time that Fisker sold 1500 Karmas. There are 33 used 12C's for sale on cars.com. So the number of used Karmas for sale is not at all unusual.
Great point... Btw noticed one of the mp4-12c is being sold by Fisker palo alto - could it be a trade in? Btw the mp4-12c is a sweat ride ....

2012 McLaren MP4-12C Base$239,0001,330 mi.White, 2 door, RWD, Coupe, 7-Speed Automatic, 3.8L V8 32V MPFI DOHC Twin Turbo, Stock# AC10006.
Dealer: Fisker Silicon Valley (Palo Alto, CA ~ 2400 mi. away)

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
If you are considering a Fisker, you should know that at least one of the early Karma owners has already developed brand loyalty and is considering a second Fisker. And we are not car collectors. Just expect to need another vehicle for our growing family of licensed drivers. Our experience with the Karma, new brand and model issues included, makes us feel like the Atlantic, and if it is not available when we need it, another Karma may be our vehicle of choice.

Test drive the Karma a few times! There is nothing like it, fun AND environmentally sensitive.

(No the new Fisker won't go to the new driver, he'll get to drive his Dad's castoff.)

·
Registered
243 Posts
currently own MBSL500, H2, Jag XK8, BMW5 series, and the Karma- have had numerous others- I cry when I can't drive this car. Has had several trips to dealer as I took possession in Feb- now have 5400 miles. HAd new batteries, RDM, fans- all updates- service has always been AWESOME with involvement of Fisker Customer affairs- no other car company has corporate people involved and knows the owners- there are very attentive. All of the hassle has been well worth it- it drives like a dream and frankly I never want to drive anything else. Have to give Fisker credit for how they have handled a brand new concept from the ground up

·
Registered
145 Posts
txam99 said:
I agree this forum is for owners to discuss pros, cons, ideas, accessories, etc. about their Karma's, but as we all know, myself included, potential buyers are also here wanting feedback on if they should buy an unproven brand, wondering if the Karma will turn into a $100k brick, etc. I have noticed, in my opinion, not enough owners have come fwd with their experiences after the 6.28 update. If you are considering a Karma, I want to share my experience with the car....I purchased my Karma in February of this year and yes, I've had all the issues, glitches, etc. on my car that you may have read about on here in the past....yes, it has been frustrating and time consuming, but Fisker's customer service throughout this process has been, to say the least, stellar. I've owned every brand under the sun and few compare to their efforts to make things right. About 6 or 7 weeks ago now, a Fisker engineer flew in, personally uploaded the 6.28 software, and the car has been FLAWLESS every since and my car was one of the early builds. As many others have said here, my past headaches were always software glitches, but I've NEVER had a mechanical issue. Being frustrated in the past, I'd be lieing if I didn't admit I've considered replacing my Karma until.....until I look at what would replace it, I can't find anything that gives you the same experience, drive, feel, fuel economy (btw I'm avg. 120 mpg after 1500 miles). I was skeptical about the car when I first visited my dealer and then I drove it....drive one, it's a phenomenal driving car and is why I bought it first and foremost. Like the Taylor Swift song "People throw rocks at things that shine"....it makes a better story for folks at Consumer Reports and other media outlets to beat up on the car since this is Fisker's first effort and because they borrowed $ from the DOE, some people seem hell bent on beating down this car and I'll never understand that. BMW recalled 2013 M6's and M5's a few days ago because the oil pumps are failing and destroying the engines. Jesus, how many cars has Government Motors (GM) recalled in the last 90 days? Read "Inside Line" on Edmunds.com.....the # of established manufacturers with recalls and car fires is staggering, but most of it never makes it to the mainstream, you have to dig for this information. Bottomline is my car kicks ass, I've had ZERO issues since the 6.28 update and I love this car....don't let the naysayers discourage you if you are considering a Karma, just confirm the car has the latest software update, Fisker has the major issues ironed out now, the 6.28 update is what you'll need at a minimum, and you'll drive off happy....very happy indeed.

Thanks so much for your post. I took delivery of my Karma early in January 2012. Aside from a couple of check engine lights prior to the 6.14 update, my Karma has been a trouble-free dream! The CEL's happened before anyone told me not to open the doores while charging. I actually had the great opportunity this morning to have breakfast with Henrick Fisker and Richard Beattie! See today's new post. I got the sense that they were pleased to hear from an owner who has had a trouble-free car. I'm sure there are quite a few of us out there.

Jeff

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't think anyone would argue that the original software package on the Karma was buggy...Therefore the early owner such as myself were beta testers and had to endure the glitches that have been well described here and in the media...But since my new battery, software upgrade to 6.28, and recall fan repair the Karma has performed flawlessly. I almost miss the excited anticipation of old days when after pushing the start button I waited to see what adventure awaited me...lol.

Seriously, however, I was never stranded anywhere and all of the problems were, at the end of the day, merely annoyances.

I have heard the sentiment, "A > $100K shouldn't have these problems"...but that completely misses the point. This is a revolutionary technology and we are the first lucky folks to be able to experience it...If you want dull, buy a Porshce Panamera Hybrid. I just bought one for my wife and although it doesn't have many bugs, it is also booooooring to drive compared to my Karma...And for the past several months the Karma hasn't misbehaved either.

I previously owned a Maserati Grand Tourismo and, let me tell you something, reliability was not one if it's greatest features...

For those of us who love the excitement of driving a beautiful and intelligently designed car, the Fisker Karma is the ultimate driving experience....I would buy another one today if I could fit a second charger into the garage...

Buck

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have found it interesting, the whole would you buy a Karma again discussion. I have had very few problem AND I have been looking at getting another Karma within the next couple of months. I thoroughly enjoy the car. My biggest issue with the vehicle is the support since the dealer in my state quit supporting the Karma and now have to drive "round trip" 8 hours for service. Not great even for regular service and worse if you do have an emergency.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looking to purchase. Can someone help me with the VIN check to see if the battery recall, fan recall, and latest software update has been completed? We are very interested in the vehicle but have no servicing dealer in Charlotte, NC. Nervous but excited. Appreciate all help. Thanks in advance!!! Last eight of VIN#CA001216

·
Registered
144 Posts
Looking to purchase. Can someone help me with the VIN check to see if the battery recall, fan recall, and latest software update has been completed? We are very interested in the vehicle but have no servicing dealer in Charlotte, NC. Nervous but excited. Appreciate all help. Thanks in advance!!! Last eight of VIN#CA001216
In order for someone to help you members here will need the whole vin all 17 digits to research any history.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for History of this VIN YH4K14AA6CA000318

Hi I am looking at purchasing a Karma. I found one I like and have read a bunch of the posts. I could please use some help with getting the history on this VIN YH4K14AA6CA000318. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
That's the car at Private Collections in Costa Mesa. I've been asked about this car by probably 3-4 people now. Low VIN, lower miles. Get a pre-purchase inspection done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts