Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, we just got our first snowfall in Anchorage (unseasonably early), so it's time to start thinking about storing the Karma :(. I've got an unheated, detached garage - not ideal but it's going to have to work this season. From what I've read on the forums - a huge thank you to everyone who has contributed - I'll charge her up half way and leave the 12v on a trickle charger.

Because temperatures drop below -20F in Anchorage - I'm trying to think through ways to protect her. Apart from fully insulating and heating the garage (this would be a $$$ project) one thought I had would be to put a snow melting mat under the car to keep the batteries from getting super cold. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Summerstep-W...ywords=snow+melting+mat&qid=1632717880&sr=8-5

I don't think it risks getting the batteries too warm, as the mat will be on the ground and just radiating a bit of heat upward.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Or am I overthinking this and she'll be fine out in the cold?

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
381 Posts
Hopefully you get some useful response to this question. I would just say that when I leave my Karma for long periods (2+ months), I disconnect the Big Black Plug and allow the car to turn off completely. When I return, I connect a booster pack to the system before reconnecting the BBP,

Other than that do a search on "Cold Weather Care" - there's a long thread on this topic. Maybe this link will work for you.

Simon

·
Registered
86 Posts
I dearly love the snow melting mat idea! You Alaskans think of everything! I have no FK experience with freezing weather, but from what I’ve read, if you keep thr FK charged, the internal systems should keep the batteries from freezing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts