Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this thread on the MHH Auto website offering to clone the diagnostic laptop software

"If you have the software, we have the skills and IT background to make a full copy of it - clone it without doing any damage"

Sounds like a good idea. Are there any forum members willing to take them up on the offer?

https://mhhauto.com/Thread-Fisker-Karma-Interface

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
I found this thread on the MHH Auto website offering to clone the diagnostic laptop software

"If you have the software, we have the skills and IT background to make a full copy of it - clone it without doing any damage"

Sounds like a good idea. Are there any forum members willing to take them up on the offer?

https://mhhauto.com/Thread-Fisker-Karma-Interface
You need more that the software you need the WDI tool that communicates between the car and the laptop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need more that the software you need the WDI tool that communicates between the car and the laptop.
Yes, I understand that the software is only one piece of the puzzle. Is the WDI tool that is used proprietary? The WDI tool is available from this German vender. Looks to be compatible with PRODIS.

https://www.dsa.de/en/solutions/products/wireless-diagnostic-interface-wdi-2x/

"Software and hardware of the WDI-2X support all current vehicle buses and diagnostic protocols via the D-PDU-API standard/PRODIS.PDU (ISO 22900-2):"

This would help keep more cars on the road around the world if there were more diagnostic kits available.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, I understand that the software is only one piece of the puzzle. Is the WDI tool that is used proprietary? The WDI tool is available from this German vender. Looks to be compatible with PRODIS.

https://www.dsa.de/en/solutions/products/wireless-diagnostic-interface-wdi-2x/

"Software and hardware of the WDI-2X support all current vehicle buses and diagnostic protocols via the D-PDU-API standard/PRODIS.PDU (ISO 22900-2):"

This would help keep more cars on the road around the world if there were more diagnostic kits available.

We need the old WDI-1 and it isn’t produced anymore.
I spoke with Lüttwitz at DSA Daten- und Systemtechnik GmbH in November 2019 and they have no old equipment on stock.

I've also spoken to a big Chinese company (they make clones of almost every diagnostic vehicle software in the world), they are unfortunately unable to deliver a WDI clone that fits Fisker Karma.

The only way is probably to find some old testing equipment (WDI) on stock somewhere.

Everyone who asks will receive, everyone who searches will find… so keep on looking for a Solution… :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another thought on this is that by having an ability to clone a laptop the only thing that would be required to ship for remote diagnostics is the WDI hardware. That would be a physically much smaller package that could easily be over-nighted or express mailed relatively cheaply to a Karma owner in distress.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Another thought on this is that by having an ability to clone a laptop the only thing that would be required to ship for remote diagnostics is the WDI hardware. That would be a physically much smaller package that could easily be over-nighted or express mailed relatively cheaply to a Karma owner in distress.

That is definitely a possibility…(y)
I wouldn’t mind paying for a Prodis software clone. However... we need to find someone how has the ability and are willing to send a copy.
As for the WDI, I can imagine that it would be worrisome to send the WDI to a “unknown” destination. A substantial deposit will probably be required …

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cloning the laptop is not difficult. There is off the shelf software that can do this now. I agree that the WDI would require a realistic substantial deposit or at the very least your next born child? ;)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Let me be clear. The WDI is the most valuable part of my business and they break, get lost in shipping, Ive had 2 stolen. I am more skeptical now than ever about sending mine to people.
In addition, what exactly makes you folks think you can fix a high voltage bus failure on one of these cars because you have a laptop. Ive spent 8 years losing my ass figuring out these cars and Im a certified master technician with 30 years of experience?
Sorry not trying to rain on your parade but my fear here is that people get the solution you are seeking and I end up getting 20 phone calls a day from people with laptops that are looking for free help from me to figure out how to diagnose the car, flash bootloader files etc...I get enough calls for freebies as it is these days with cars in the 20s and 30s the "new" Fisker buyer thinks they can DIY everything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Let me be clear. The WDI is the most valuable part of my business and they break, get lost in shipping, Ive had 2 stolen. I am more skeptical now than ever about sending mine to people.
In addition, what exactly makes you folks think you can fix a high voltage bus failure on one of these cars because you have a laptop. Ive spent 8 years losing my ass figuring out these cars and Im a certified master technician with 30 years of experience?
Sorry not trying to rain on your parade but my fear here is that people get the solution you are seeking and I end up getting 20 phone calls a day from people with laptops that are looking for free help from me to figure out how to diagnose the car, flash bootloader files etc...I get enough calls for freebies as it is these days with cars in the 20s and 30s the "new" Fisker buyer thinks they can DIY everything.
FiskerPhilly, first of all I didn't mean to insult anyone by suggesting anything on this car is an easy or simple DIY for the average owner and I don't blame you for being skeptical. I am not suggesting that you or any certified technician should have to do anything for free. I realize that there is not much I could do on my Karma without professional help. But having the diagnostic tool would give a starting point for troubleshooting. This forum seems to be a good source of knowledge and there are some things a mechanically inclined owner should be able to do with the proper tools. The ability to remotely view the computer with TeamViewer would help keep more of these cars on the road with your professional help (paid of course).
There is a garage here in Dubai that has experience repairing Karmas but they don't have their own laptop and WDI tool. They said that they leased one from someone in Europe for $1000 for a month with a $1000 deposit. I see now that was very reasonable.
I didn't fully realize how difficult it would be to have this car serviced when I bought it and now I'm wary of driving it for fear some warning light will appear or worse it will refuse to start at all. Unfortunately, without access to a laptop and a WDI I think the car is worth more as spare parts than as my daily driver. :cautious:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Haha. No shit. Its RCCR motors in Dubai and they seem to tell alot of Fisker owners that. In fact its MY laptop and diagnostic time they are using. Its on the way to them next week where I will most likely remotely fix your car in thier shop. My problem with them is that they are rather pushy about requesting almost demanding that I help. They contacted Fisker Inc and demanded support (not knowing Fisker sends all MY12 Karma service inquiries to me also by the way) they are not very patient. I do my best to help people all over the world and my prices for support are reasonable. I get frustrated when people try to undermine all the work I have put into this brand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts