Fisker Buzz Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are you saying that the Reveno CIU with updates from Blackberry/QNX can be put into a 2012 Fisker Karma? If so, who can do it and how much is it? Also, where can you buy it?

Is it possible to be installed by the owner or are there special things that need to be done? I really want the upgraded CIU.

·
Early Adopter
1,248 Posts
Yea that is part of the renesas h3 QNX demonstrator which was also in the Audi Q8.

Every year QNX takes a car and puts their latest and greatest in it, a few years ago it was a Mercedes CLA, which had a full dashboard sized display and the Qualcomm Snapdragon 602a (which Audi now uses in their production vehicles).

They are just demonstrators for "what if" to try to drum up future business. The gotcha is that an automaker , that bites, has to spend millions of dollars and years hardening the reference implementation.

It is interesting that QNX now has solved the hypervisor issue on the instrument cluster, meaning they can use one SOC for both the cluster and infotainment. This likely means that the hardware prices will drop further as only one processor is needed.

If you are still at CES head down to the automotive linux booth (Westgate hotel) booth 1614 and talk to the guys at Fiberdyne. See if they will sell you an amp. These are the guys that make the amp in the Revero ;)
missed fiberdyne - had so much to see and not enough time. you are spot on the QNX deal, spoke to the engineer and he said pretty much what you said. here is the pics -- kind of cool

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0d6v03tcewcht0/2019-01-10%2014.43.40.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9dqk4apigf4kfa/2019-01-10%2014.43.42.jpg?dl=0

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
missed fiberdyne - had so much to see and not enough time. you are spot on the QNX deal, spoke to the engineer and he said pretty much what you said. here is the pics -- kind of cool

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0d6v03tcewcht0/2019-01-10%2014.43.40.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9dqk4apigf4kfa/2019-01-10 14.43.42.jpg?dl=0
that is pretty cool, looks like what is in the current production Audi's. It even has haptic feedback like the original Fisker Karma setup. In the previous iteration, QNX had a special android layer to run Audi apps, including Google Earth/Maps but it looks like in this variant they are running them natively on Android (assume to be via the hypervisor). Were you able to find out if it is compatible with the 602a or has Audi migrated from that soc to the Renesas, in production implementation? It looks like the Karma setup is running the Renesas.. Interesting stuff!

below is the audi a6 which looks to be running a very similar setup
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-audi-a6-3-0t-by-the-numbers

·
Registered
24 Posts
To be clear, these pictures are not inside a 2012 Fisker Karma correct?

I think this is getting our hopes up and it’s not for our original vehicles.

Did you happen to get any contact information while there? Was the question asked about using this in the 2012?

·
Early Adopter
1,248 Posts
that is pretty cool, looks like what is in the current production Audi's. It even has haptic feedback like the original Fisker Karma setup. In the previous iteration, QNX had a special android layer to run Audi apps, including Google Earth/Maps but it looks like in this variant they are running them natively on Android (assume to be via the hypervisor). Were you able to find out if it is compatible with the 602a or has Audi migrated from that soc to the Renesas, in production implementation? It looks like the Karma setup is running the Renesas.. Interesting stuff!

below is the audi a6 which looks to be running a very similar setup
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-audi-a6-3-0t-by-the-numbers

The engineer I spoke to was not willing to say much other then -- they have lots of business, need no recognition (asked why not promote to FY2012 owners for PR) and insist this was just a design effort to show it can be done -- not much to say on the details of the connectivity and overall cost.

·
Early Adopter
1,248 Posts
To be clear, these pictures are not inside a 2012 Fisker Karma correct?

I think this is getting our hopes up and it’s not for our original vehicles.

Did you happen to get any contact information while there? Was the question asked about using this in the 2012?
Reveno and I did ask about the FY2012 -- No interest , design exercise, no reason for going beyond the demo.

·
1,172 Posts
It costs in excess of 2 million USD to develop even the most basic of OEM infotainment units.

How many would anyone have to sell to recoup their money? There is no business case. QNX would rather get paid up front for the license of their neutrino OS as well as royalty. Then the integrator has to find the hardware, develop a board support package, harden the hardware and software, which will take several iterations and a ton of time.

It makes 0 business case.

Almost positive the infotainment setup in the Revero at CES, is similar to the one in production Audi's. It likely uses the Board Support Package that Audi has developed. QNX probably has a license to use it in reference implementations such as the Revero or other vehicles.

If Karma does put this into production it will likely be on gen 3 or later which means this Infotainment unit will 7-10 years old!! Not sure why they would do that?

·
1,172 Posts
ok, but isnt the tom20 a replacement for the original ciu? are you saying i need another different one now??
TOM20 gives you additional drive modes (EV, ER modes, charging on the fly etc).

The Revero CIU, TPI, Rear Camera & Subwoofer (collectively "infotainment package") integration will be done by a separate standalone gateway; that will be available in kit form at some point in the future.

Both products are designed to work with each other or separately. Two different products.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As many of you know there is only two ways to program the CIU when it looses it presets . The first is using the Fisker laptop either by a Fisker dealer or the few of us that have our own laptop and the capability to do it.
The second way is called a PUMA tool this tool is a stand alone tool which plugs into the OBD port and a thumb drive with software is inserted into the USB port . Basically it’s plug and play I believe at this point I’m the only person who owns one of these tools I don’t think Karma Automotive has one either and if they do they don’t loan it out.
I’ve had this tool for a few years and on a regular basis I send it out to either upgrade the CIU or recover it. I do charge a fee for the use of the tool and for the most part it’s usually a lot less then having to bring the car to the dealer.

I also have the BETA software which wasn’t released by Fisker many of you have probably seen this software . The main screen is different and the colors are also different. Plus it has a bunch of other features I was thinking about offering this software with the use of my PUMA tool for a fee.

If anyone is interested in doing this you can email me direct at [email protected]
Also if you have lost your presets and the USB port still works in the console your CIU can be programmed. Make sure your CIU will play music using a thumb drive .
There are plenty of cars running this software for a couple of years without problems .Some of these customers live around the New Jersey/ PA area

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea that is part of the renesas h3 QNX demonstrator which was also in the Audi Q8.

Every year QNX takes a car and puts their latest and greatest in it, a few years ago it was a Mercedes CLA, which had a full dashboard sized display and the Qualcomm Snapdragon 602a (which Audi now uses in their production vehicles).

They are just demonstrators for "what if" to try to drum up future business. The gotcha is that an automaker , that bites, has to spend millions of dollars and years hardening the reference implementation.

It is interesting that QNX now has solved the hypervisor issue on the instrument cluster, meaning they can use one SOC for both the cluster and infotainment. This likely means that the hardware prices will drop further as only one processor is needed.

If you are still at CES head down to the automotive linux booth (Westgate hotel) booth 1614 and talk to the guys at Fiberdyne. See if they will sell you an amp. These are the guys that make the amp in the Revero ;)
Hello
I have a camera and nav issue and my usb port does work, how can I restore the settings? Many thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Revero CIU, TPI, Rear Camera & Subwoofer (collectively "infotainment package") integration will be done by a separate standalone gateway; that will be available in kit form at some point in the future. Both products are designed to work with each other or separately. Two different products.
Any news on the kit? Seems a few years in the making, would love to hear about the availability of it?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts