Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know there is only two ways to program the CIU when it looses it presets . The first is using the Fisker laptop either by a Fisker dealer or the few of us that have our own laptop and the capability to do it.
The second way is called a PUMA tool this tool is a stand alone tool which plugs into the OBD port and a thumb drive with software is inserted into the USB port . Basically it’s plug and play I believe at this point I’m the only person who owns one of these tools I don’t think Karma Automotive has one either and if they do they don’t loan it out.
I’ve had this tool for a few years and on a regular basis I send it out to either upgrade the CIU or recover it. I do charge a fee for the use of the tool and for the most part it’s usually a lot less then having to bring the car to the dealer.

I also have the BETA software which wasn’t released by Fisker many of you have probably seen this software . The main screen is different and the colors are also different. Plus it has a bunch of other features I was thinking about offering this software with the use of my PUMA tool for a fee.

If anyone is interested in doing this you can email me direct at [email protected]
Also if you have lost your presets and the USB port still works in the console your CIU can be programmed. Make sure your CIU will play music using a thumb drive .
There are plenty of cars running this software for a couple of years without problems .Some of these customers live around the New Jersey/ PA area

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hm interesting.
Has anyone tried to analyze the protocol used on the OBD port? Perhaps a generic update device can be built afterwards.

What about the Software, is there any information how the firmware is built and if modifications can be injected?

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
I would like the tool! I have been asking for the use of it and would like to know all the features it has? Can you post a few screenshots?

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm interesting.
Has anyone tried to analyze the protocol used on the OBD port? Perhaps a generic update device can be built afterwards.

What about the Software, is there any information how the firmware is built and if modifications can be injected?
I knew the software programmer who was working on it when Fisker closed.Nothing else can be done with the software it wasn't an open source software and Visiteon wouldn't release the code from what I understand.This is the last software he was working on

·
Registered
8 Posts
Many thanks for the insights.

As I read here on the forum and on the Visiteon website, they use QNX as base for their units. So the question is, how the unit is communicating with the car. This could be done via OBD2. Then, depending on how it is done, it should be possible to simulate this communication and because there is some OBD2 HAT for a raspberry, a new unit can be built. But it requires the CIU to provide only a interface and don't make any sophisticated calculations.

Perhaps your programmer can explain this to you.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts

As I read here on the forum and on the Visiteon website, they use QNX as base for their units. So the question is, how the unit is communicating with the car. This could be done via OBD2. Then, depending on how it is done, it should be possible to simulate this communication and because there is some OBD2 HAT for a raspberry, a new unit can be built. But it requires the CIU to provide only a interface and don't make any sophisticated calculations.

This is more @PowerSource’s domain, but I doubt that the CIU communicates with the rest of the car using OBDII, which AFAIK, is a diagnostic protocol. There are alternative CIU hardware that can be installed in the Karma and configured to work with the native CAN protocols without reprogramming them. Check out this thread for more details: http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/26537-infotainment-upgrade-idea.html#post243169. Here is one specific prototype developed by @PowerSource:

Also, AFAIK, the Raspberry PI, while a very versatile prototyping and developing platform, is not really suitable for an automotive environment.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts

The issue with the current unit is mainly the HMI, not the CIU itself. Karma has the UI development environment/code but does not want to develop it further and will not release it; so others can fix the UI of the existing CIU.

We already have replaced the CIU and TPI with our own variant. We are working on a 2nd gen less expensive version for 2012 cars, which hopefully will be completed by Summer.

·
Early Adopter
1,248 Posts
The issue with the current unit is mainly the HMI, not the CIU itself. Karma has the UI development environment/code but does not want to develop it further and will not release it; so others can fix the UI of the existing CIU.

We already have replaced the CIU and TPI with our own variant. We are working on a 2nd gen less expensive version for 2012 cars, which hopefully will be completed by Summer.
Put me on the list - I'll have Joe install mine like he did the TOM -- btw, love the TOM!

·
Registered
10 Posts
@PowerSource - how’s the updated CIU coming along? Having a more modern interface is a must. Plus, doing wireless CarPlay would be ideal. I’ve been following your work on here with this amazing car and am eagerly looking forward to this update in particular. Can’t wait!

·
GoKarma
17 Posts
Hello PowerSource, I'm really interested in your product (the PowerSource infortainment update) shown in the above video. I live just outside of Denver, CO and would like to know if you've completed all testing and if my 2012 Fisker Karma (VIN: 1023) can be upgraded. Please email me [email protected]

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I also have the BETA software which wasn’t released by Fisker many of you have probably seen this software . The main screen is different and the colors are also different. Plus it has a bunch of other features I was thinking about offering this software with the use of my PUMA tool for a fee.

Does the Beta software remove the requirement to "Agree" to the disclaimer on power-up?

·
Early Adopter
1,248 Posts
Waiting on parts then will be made available through Joe.
great choice -- can't go wrong when you partner with Joe (the TOM installation was flawless) -- i best got on the list before his backlog fills up.... LOL

·
1,172 Posts
What about us West Coasters Amigo?
BYOI (bring your own infotainment) :)

You can order the CIU, TPI, AMP and Backup Camera from a Karma dealer. We will provide the harness and TOM integration unit to make it all work. Any reputable car stereo shop will be able to install/connect it all up. It is no different than installing a normal radio in a normal car.

The TPI and CIU fit exactly in the same spots. An adjustment is needed for the harness and backup camera but not that bad (will provide instructions). We first want to get all the pieces together as there are different revisions for Revero equipment.

We are trying to make it as easy as possible for anyone to upgrade, with off the shelf components.

·
Early Adopter
1,248 Posts
BYOI (bring your own infotainment) :)

You can order the CIU, TPI, AMP and Backup Camera from a Karma dealer. We will provide the harness and TOM integration unit to make it all work. Any reputable car stereo shop will be able to install/connect it all up. It is no different than installing a normal radio in a normal car.

The TPI and CIU fit exactly in the same spots. An adjustment is needed for the harness and backup camera but not that bad (will provide instructions). We first want to get all the pieces together as there are different revisions for Revero equipment.

We are trying to make it as easy as possible for anyone to upgrade, with off the shelf components.

love it, btw at CES this week and withnessed a demonstration of a revised Reveno CIU with updates from Blackberry/QNX -- funny they choose a reveno to update . I'll post picture when i get back to Virginia.

·
1,172 Posts
love it, btw at CES this week and withnessed a demonstration of a revised Reveno CIU with updates from Blackberry/QNX -- funny they choose a reveno to update . I'll post picture when i get back to Virginia.
Yea that is part of the renesas h3 QNX demonstrator which was also in the Audi Q8.

Every year QNX takes a car and puts their latest and greatest in it, a few years ago it was a Mercedes CLA, which had a full dashboard sized display and the Qualcomm Snapdragon 602a (which Audi now uses in their production vehicles).

They are just demonstrators for "what if" to try to drum up future business. The gotcha is that an automaker , that bites, has to spend millions of dollars and years hardening the reference implementation.

It is interesting that QNX now has solved the hypervisor issue on the instrument cluster, meaning they can use one SOC for both the cluster and infotainment. This likely means that the hardware prices will drop further as only one processor is needed.

If you are still at CES head down to the automotive linux booth (Westgate hotel) booth 1614 and talk to the guys at Fiberdyne. See if they will sell you an amp. These are the guys that make the amp in the Revero ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts